PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Lakes

Big Dogg
03-02-2011, 05:58 PM
I am hoping someone can inform me/make suggestions of the wonderful lakes for boating and wakeboarding in CO. My girlfriend and I are in Chiropractic School and we know that we would like to end up in CO, but I am an avid boater and my girlfriend is an avid snow skiier. We both want to be someplace where we are close to mountains and lakes. If not living on one. We will be sitting up a private practice. Do you all have any suggestions? We were in Keystone a few months ago, and I seen a nice lake there but I know nothing about it. Planning for our future and looking for advice!

Aaron R.

Mgboyd25
03-02-2011, 07:04 PM
I visited Colorado for the first time last summer. I have a good friend that lives in Denver. We traveled to fort Collins and camped at a lake called horsetooth. It was one of the coolest places.

h2oskifreak
03-02-2011, 08:15 PM
What type of boating do you do? Wakeboard, slalom course, private lake or public? I will share what I know w/ you. How large of a community do you need for your business?

cdstukey
03-02-2011, 08:25 PM
There are no lakes in Colorado... just ponds.

If you were in Keystone you probably saw Dillion resevoir right along the road going from the resort to the interstate. If you want to stay in the mountains, Grand Lake and Shadow Mountain are over by winter park. Those mountain lakes are cold though. down along the front range there are several "ski lakes" but only a few that you can actually live on. Most are former quarries or irrigation ponds. Most of the larger resevoirs are State parks, so no homes there. Loveland/Fort Collins have more water and few more with homes than Denver, but prices can be steep for waterfront property where ever it is.
Thrall can probably comment more on the western slope/sw lakes if he sees this.

Here's a link to a brief overview of some of the public water

http://www.gettommys.com/cart.cfm?cart_action=category_detail&category_guid=a98b3c11-65bf-d230-4196-ab43b4de1df4

ski/hunt
03-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Your girl will get the better end of the move. Snow skiing in Colorado is hard to beat. As cdstukey said the lakes are ponds. Around Denver they are crazy almost 7 days a week. When I lived there alot of people would travel to Wyoming to Glendo or Gurnsey to find better water. There are some homes on the lakes in northern Colorado. Lake Loveland is a private homeowner only lake. Boyd has homes on the east side. Horsetooth is a great res. not many homes there. Carter is another res. with homes nearby. Good luck with your search....you might just put your boating money into a sled. Some awesome snowmobile areas and that season will last much longer than the boating season:)

ttu
03-02-2011, 09:38 PM
i would think lake dillion would be damm cold! with all the snow melt i bet that thing does not get above 55 degrees in the summer.

Thrall
03-02-2011, 10:29 PM
cdstuckey and skihunt are right on the money. Not a ton of lakes, but unbeatable skiing......snow that is.
Dillon Res is what you saw near Keystone, right out by I 70. No watersports allowed, 30 mph max speed, because there's too much sh!t in the lake, literally. The Breckenridge turd farm (wastewater plant) drains directly into Dillon Res and it has been outdated for years with high contamination discharge although the upgrade project is alomst done, so who knows, maybe it will be opened to watersports after that???? (Everyone from Denver is happy to hear about their tap water from Dillon Res now I'm sure!:D)
Carter Res up by Loveland ( front range) I've heard is great, never been there, other public reserviors around Denver are extremely crowded.
Western Slope has alot of nice lakes (reserviors) and they are all COLD, so you better be hearty. Upper end of the water temps are mid 60's by mid August! Some of the nice western Slope lakes are, Reudi Res: Basalt, Stagecoach Res: N of Wolcott, Green Mountain and Wolford: Kremmtucky (Kremmling), RIfle Gap: Rifle (crowded, but it gets to 70deg!), Lake Granby: Granby, and Blue Mesa: (Gunnison....lake is about 20 mi long, swett @ss lake!).
Good luck living on a lake here, that really doesn't exist except private lakes.
Good luck in school I can always use a good chiropractor.

Thrall
03-02-2011, 10:30 PM
i would think lake dillion would be damm cold! with all the snow melt i bet that thing does not get above 55 degrees in the summer.

'bout right, maybe 60 at the surface.

Thrall
03-02-2011, 10:31 PM
....you might just put your boating money into a sled. Some awesome snowmobile areas and that season will last much longer than the boating season:)

Yeah still a solid 2 months of riding...hopefully. We didn't get teh Merry Christmas meltdown and Presidents Day meltdown like the mid westerners!

cdstukey
03-02-2011, 10:53 PM
...and you can check on houses here, although its not super accurate.

http://lakehouse.com/browse_map.php?cat=15

That $2.6M "cabin" on Grand Lake looks nice, even has a boat house.
All sarcasm aside, any other questions just let us know.

CoFooter
03-04-2011, 11:57 AM
There are several communities in the Denver area and north where you can buy a house on a lake, and more opening up but they are not cheap. There is one public lake (Boyd) in Loveland that you can buy a house on and the rest are private. If you know where you want to be, let us know. You really can't beat the front range for all it has to offer in summer and winter. Me, I'm totally addicted to both snow and waterskiing and I would not live anywhere else. To me, this is heaven. I ski on a small private lake in the summer where I keep my camper, so that is an option as well.

Good luck

Alan-S
03-17-2011, 04:59 PM
I just updated the Lakes section on our website if it helps you out any.

http://swperformancemarine.com/2011_website_013.htm

Ski-me
03-18-2011, 10:17 AM
I just updated the Lakes section on our website if it helps you out any.

http://swperformancemarine.com/2011_website_013.htm

Alan Simpson...that you?!? (Jk:wavey:)

Anyways, curious if there are some lakes that have a course in it that also have the "half distance" balls? Both of my daughters want to try the course this year but I don't know of any public type lakes that have a course in it.

We're in the Springs with our 94' 205......