PDA

View Full Version : Advice for selling?

jbkriss
03-02-2011, 12:47 PM
I am trying to sell my 09 X-Star for personal reasons unfortunately. :( I had placed it in the boattrader back in November- not the best time of year to sell a watersports boat, but I'm located in Ft Lauderdale. Anyway, for three months, all I got were two calls from brokers that wanted to try and sell it for me. I'm not making payments on it so I don't want to "give" it away or pay a 10% consignment fee to someone else. Here is a link to the ad: http://www.mastercraft.com/market/showproduct.php?product=3889&cat=6

Should I expect the market to get a little better as warmer months get closer? Does the area that I'm in have anything to do with it? Any place other than Boattrader and Team Talk that you recommend? Any advice from members would be greatly appreciated!

Mgboyd25
03-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Other than boat trader you should list it on other sites
Onlyinboards.com
Ski-it-again.com
And on the marketplace here if you haven't already done so
When I bought my boat I found it on onlyinboards and traveled to get it so it may help
Goodluck with everything brother

pmkkdx
03-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Very nice looking boat! Might also try Craigslist within a hundred or so miles, along with various larger metro areas. I would think things should start picking up as the winter starts to slip behind us... April-May when people are ramping up for summer fun.

brucemac
03-02-2011, 12:58 PM
I would post it up on onlyinboards.com if you haven't already. You may want to also look at posting on the wakeworld.com classified section as well as wakeboarder.com. I would also remove the 0 in front of 48. Knittpicky, but it may lead someone to belive it is a typo. I would also take very detailed high-res photographs and post them somewhere online with a link to them in your advertisement. Good luck with the sale.

rjracin240
03-02-2011, 01:11 PM
I am trying to sell my 09 X-Star for personal reasons unfortunately. Any place other than Boattrader and Team Talk that you recommend? Any advice from members would be greatly appreciated!

Dont like ebay but it might be an alternative.

As previously suggested try Craigslist, Tampa/StPete, Orlando, West Palm, Ocala, GVille, Jacksonville are a few good market's here in Fl. You also have a big market to the south of you, with the ports of Miami & Ft Lauderdale to ship from. If I can think of a way to advertise to the Caribeann and S. America will post it.

Jims reunion is coming up, could always put a forsale on it there.

bturner2
03-02-2011, 01:29 PM
The last boat MC I sold went through Only Inboards. You really eliminate a lot of the boatnics that don't even know what they're looking at. IMO Boat Trader just carries too many types of boat to be effective. However I have to admit when I was looking I was hitting all the sources I could find.

You pretty much lost any real buyers after September. At lest the ones that were wiling to pay a decent price for the boat. With all the boat shows going on around now things should be picking up especially in the south. April through May is our season up here in the north. Good luck selling.

jbkriss
03-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Thank you all for the input. I hadn't come across onlyinboards.com before. That's a great site and I'll definitely go with your recommendations.

NatesGr8
03-02-2011, 03:09 PM
had my old boat on only inboards for 6 days and then she was gone!

sand2snow22
03-02-2011, 03:13 PM
If you want it to sell, lower your price. ......I saw your ad on onlyinboards. Great site, but IMO if you want it to sell quickly lower your price. If not, it will take awhile.

east tx skier
03-02-2011, 03:31 PM
For all of its pitfalls, no site got me as much traffic as ebay. I did a buy it now or best offer listing. Kept control and was able to field offers. Had I not sold it to a site member here at the 11th hour, I had an offer on ebay I would have accepted within the one week my boat was listed.

I think I had two hits from ski-it-again
1 hit from Craigslist
1 hit from Dallas Boats 4 Sale
No hits from Only Inboards
and probably 5 real offers on ebay.

Boat was listed and sold within one month.

sand2snow22
03-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Eastie makes a good point. Ebay is a great way to advertise. I personally wouldn't go through ebay b/c they'll take a good chunk, but use it as tool to make some contacts:) Watch out for the scammers, though.....:(

Willytown
03-02-2011, 05:06 PM
if you do a buy it now or best offer without all the fancy upgrades, the listing is free on ebay. I agree, my x-star just expired and I got a couple of good leads while posted, will probably relist in the next few days

j4rowell
03-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Also put in there some shipping sites. For instance uship.com. Get a quote from them for shipping to the farthest known location and then put that in your ad. Most people don't realize that if it's on a trailer it is fairly cheap to ship.

That's also a pretty high price, although probably worth it, but your buyers market is going to be fairly small.

I bought my boat out of Las Vegas and had it shipped to Michigan for 750ish bucks; 1900 miles. I had another quote from Louisana to Michigan for about 800.

j4rowell
03-02-2011, 05:24 PM
If you want it to sell, lower your price. You are competing with boats like these that haven't sold......I saw your ad on onlyinboards. Great site, but IMO if you want it to sell quickly lower your price. If not, it will take awhile.

You're point was made but unfortunately you ruined his chances with that link of selling it on this forum unless it's his next door neighbor.

sand2snow22
03-02-2011, 05:27 PM
You're point was made but unfortunately you ruined his chances with that link of selling it on this forum unless it's his next door neighbor.

Boats are about as far away from each other as can be. Geographical differences. I will edit...You might have to edit too...

j4rowell
03-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Boats are about as far away from each other as can be. Geographical differences. I will edit...You might have to edit too...

Respectable move.

I meant unless he's selling it to his neighbor.

sand2snow22
03-02-2011, 05:32 PM
I meant unless he's selling it to his neighbor.

He's in FL, you never know :D

davidstan
03-02-2011, 05:37 PM
i just sold my Maristar and used a broker. Fast and clean, i dont live near a lake so lake testing would have been a chore. Paid 7% commission and gone in 2 weeks with no hassle.

Age Fighter
03-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Interesting. I've sold 8 boats and I think Boat Trader was how I sold all of them. Maybe another site in there somewhere.

Also bought a couple that way as well.

east tx skier
03-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Eastie makes a good point. Ebay is a great way to advertise. I personally wouldn't go through ebay b/c they'll take a good chunk, but use it as tool to make some contacts:) Watch out for the scammers, though.....:(

At that time, I think it was just $40 for the listing and no fees on the end. Memory could have faded there.

sand2snow22
03-02-2011, 06:10 PM
At that time, I think it was just $40 for the listing and no fees on the end. Memory could have faded there.

Listing is cheap, my problem with ebay/paypal is when you sell something. They take a nice chunk. Never sold a big ticket item on ebay, IIRC it's a fixed fee. Just not sure how bad it is....

sand2snow22
03-02-2011, 06:16 PM
OK, not as bad as I thought, add $125 to your $40:

Vehicles: Fees on the first 4 listings in a 12-month period *
Category
Insertion fee
Successful listing fee
Final bid amount: $2000 or less
Final bid amount: $2000.01 or more

Motorcycles, Powersports, Trailers and Boats
$0.00
$60.00
$125.00

bturner2
03-02-2011, 08:10 PM
I did find my latest boat on EBay but purchased it after the listing had expired.

east tx skier
03-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Listing is cheap, my problem with ebay/paypal is when you sell something. They take a nice chunk. Never sold a big ticket item on ebay, IIRC it's a fixed fee. Just not sure how bad it is....

I think, back then, ebay motors was different. I think it was $40 and no end fee.

barefoot
03-02-2011, 09:53 PM
I suggest taking some new pics. I've found that whenever I've had trouble selling something, new pictures always helped. Even if someone has looked at your boat on one of the sites, they may get intrigued with pics from a different prospective.

Also, lowering the pice wouldn't hurt..

jdeml
03-02-2011, 10:01 PM
make sure you go craigslist. i drove 1000 miles for the right boat for me. just my .02