PDA

View Full Version : '02 197 alpine MC 20 in the armrest

mgurley
03-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Has anyone put this thing in the armrest? I saw where one replaced a speedo...I really would like to keep it in the stock location but if I can't I need to come up with an alternative.

Suggestions please...photos would be great. Overall diameter is about 4" I haven't had a chance to do any measuring of the armrest yet but as I remember the existing remote is about half that size.

mgurley
03-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Add a MW1 clarion remote if anyone has a picture of it...I was under the impression you did not get full ipod control??? I am reading conflicting reports?

Sodar
03-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Where did you read the lack of full iPod control with the MW1? Just asking, not questioning your info. I am going through the same thoughts on upgrading to something I can control the iPod from the remote.

craig3972
03-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Where did you read the lack of full iPod control with the MW1? Just asking, not questioning your info. I am going through the same thoughts on upgrading to something I can control the iPod from the remote.

I am also interested. I was looking to purchase an Alpine CDA-118M deck and a MC20 remote.

CantRepeat
03-02-2011, 06:09 PM

I read his post and was bored so I went to the Clarion website trying to find any information on the remote I could but there is no user manual for the remotes, that I could find.

But I found this.

With the CMD6, you can fully control your USB-connected iPod via wired marine remote control (optional).

And it has a photo of the MW1 so I would think it does have full control.

More:

Direct USB iPod control

The smart USB connection enables you to continue enjoying your favourite tunes offshore. Just connect your iPod’s USB cable to the CMD6’s rear USB input and you get complete control of your iPod including genre/album/song title search, and you can even use your iPod’s control wheel (Simple control mode).

CantRepeat
03-02-2011, 06:15 PM
BTW:

The face on the MC2 or MC20 is about 4 inches but the back part is only 2 inches so it does fit in the same hole as the other remotes.

mgurley
03-03-2011, 11:25 AM
I called clarion tech support and they say that you will have full ipod control with the MW1

mgurley
03-03-2011, 11:33 AM
BTW:

The face on the MC2 or MC20 is about 4 inches but the back part is only 2 inches so it does fit in the same hole as the other remotes.

Question is will the 4 inch face fit on the armrest? that is the deciding factor for me right now betweent the alpine and the clarion the MW1 is a little smaller.

CantRepeat
03-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Question is will the 4 inch face fit on the armrest? that is the deciding factor for me right now betweent the alpine and the clarion the MW1 is a little smaller.

I don't have a 197 so I do not know the answer to your question.

Sodar
03-03-2011, 01:01 PM
How much larger is the MW-1 from the CMRC1?

I haven't been able to find the dims on the CMRC1...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_m3bPnaMHpYM/S6A8quvH5UI/AAAAAAAAD0A/R4feMiScniY/s800/DSC02816.JPG

CantRepeat
03-03-2011, 01:31 PM
I think there is plenty of room to put an MC20 in the arm rest.

In Sodar's post you can see quazi layout of the old remote and it's dimensions.

Below you can see how I did the retrofit of my MC20 on the transom of my 06.

The remaining blue part of the old 2 inch hole I filled with kitty hair and dremeled it round. The MC20s face is large enough that it covers the kitty hair. The yellow area shows the new 2 inch hole for the back part of the new remote.

The only issue you need to work out is if there is enough surface area for the 4 inch face of the MC20.

I wish one of you lived closer, I'd enjoy doing this retrofit.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/mc20a.jpg

CantRepeat
03-03-2011, 01:44 PM
And a quick chop of what it might look like.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/mc20b.jpg

Sodar
03-03-2011, 01:56 PM
Actually, the remote I posted has a 3" hole and a 3.5" Bezel, so the MC20 is not much larger, I'd just need to make the hole a little smaller to accommodate the 2" hole.

sixysixss
03-03-2011, 02:45 PM
I just upgraded my Clarion and the remote in my X9 last summer. The armrest should be pretty close to the same on the 197 and X9. Also, if the CMRC1 fits, the MW1 should fit as well. Here are the dimensions according to the information on Crutchfield's website: CMRC1 Remote Dimensions: Diameter of outer frame=3.554", Cutout diameter necessary for chassis to mount in panel=2.994", Mounting depth of chassis=1.141", Mounting depth including fixed mounting bolts=2.181", Overall depth=2.751". MW1 Remote Dimensions: Diameter: 3.607", Cutout Diameter: 2.994", Mounting Depth: 2.255", Mounting Height: 0.603".

I was replacing the MC speed control that was in the armrest as well, so I had to make an aluminum bezel that covered the existing holes. The other issue with mounting is the depth. The MW1 mounts quite a bit deeper which required some trimming of the glass behind the armrest.

I upgraded so that we would have full control of both Sirius radio and iPod. The remote delivers on both fronts. I am very pleased with the upgrade.

CantRepeat
03-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Actually, the remote I posted has a 3" hole and a 3.5" Bezel, so the MC20 is not much larger, I'd just need to make the hole a little smaller to accommodate the 2" hole.

Is the side panel a press molded plastic? I'm sure it's doable.

I do wish they made a wire MC20. You do get used to the RF lag pretty quickly.

CantRepeat
03-03-2011, 03:27 PM
I was replacing the MC speed control that was in the armrest as well, so I had to make an aluminum bezel that covered the existing holes. The other issue with mounting is the depth. The MW1 mounts quite a bit deeper which required some trimming of the glass behind the armrest.

I upgraded so that we would have full control of both Sirius radio and iPod. The remote delivers on both fronts. I am very pleased with the upgrade.

I'd like to see photos of you work, if you don't mind.

mgurley
03-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Has anyone had experience with both the clarion and Alpine that can shed light on the differences between the two...functionality (especially as it relates to controlling the ipod), RF vs. Wired, etc...?

CantRepeat
03-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Has anyone had experience with both the clarion and Alpine that can shed light on the differences between the two...functionality (especially as it relates to controlling the ipod), RF vs. Wired, etc...?

I've not used both but if you want to drive over to my house I'll let you check out the remotes. I'm near Phenix City.

mgurley
03-03-2011, 03:50 PM
I've not used both but if you want to drive over to my house I'll let you check out the remotes. I'm near Phenix City.

I certainly appreciate it but that is a trip for me...I'm in Bham. I am really leaning toward the Alpine at this point.

Are you satisfied with the function of the remote...being it is RF?

CantRepeat
03-03-2011, 04:07 PM
I certainly appreciate it but that is a trip for me...I'm in Bham. I am really leaning toward the Alpine at this point.

Are you satisfied with the function of the remote...being it is RF?

I love them. I put an MC1 in my 92 and it was great. The MC20s has the dual zone control when paired with the 118M. That saved me from needing a WS 420. I was already used to the RF lag so it didn't really phase me at all.

craig3972
03-03-2011, 07:36 PM
I love them. I put an MC1 in my 92 and it was great. The MC20s has the dual zone control when paired with the 118M. That saved me from needing a WS 420. I was already used to the RF lag so it didn't really phase me at all.

I think that the real difference between the two decks is the output signal strength and the 3pre outs + 1 sub preout (dual zone control too) on the Alpine The Alpine has 2volt output, I dont know what the output spec is on the Clarion, but the strength is weak and will be evident when trying to get some good sound out of your system.

The only advantage the Clarion has is the wired remote. The RF lag is irritating on the Alpine but at least you have a display to telling what button you pressed while you wait for the change to occour.

I am getting the Alpine CDA-118M so I can run the remote (c/w sub volume control on it), have full functionality for the ipod, have enough preouts and dual zone control.

I was running an Alpine CDA-9885 before but it doesnt connect well with the ipod, I jerry rigged an IR remote with no display feedback, it only has 2 preouts + 1 sub. Its just old technology - but I cannot say it has never let me down in 5 summers. good quailty head unit with 4volt preouts (fantastic signal).

CantRepeat
03-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Yeah Craig, I'm not sure why they lowered or allowed the pre outs to drop so far in the voltage department. Seems the top of the line marine head unit should push the best.

I can tell you this much... for a normal day on the lake the 118m is more then I could need. But I'm not "that guy" on the water. When I did my water test the weekend my wife and daughter were both pluging their ears and saying enough is enough.

Now I just gotta find a nice tube to pull!

mgurley
03-04-2011, 04:54 PM
Bought:
Alpine CDA 118M reciver
MC20 Remote
KCE-422i Ipod cable
RUE-RF1 handheld remote

I'll let you know guys know how it goes.

CantRepeat
03-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Bought:
Alpine CDA 118M reciver
MC20 Remote
KCE-422i Ipod cable
RUE-RF1 handheld remote

I'll let you know guys know how it goes.

You don't need the 422i with the 118m. The unit comes with the usb cable that connects to the iPod and the stereo. In fact I do not believe the 118m has a connector for hte 422i.

Did you order the RUE-M1RF or the RUE-M1EX ??

The RF come the reciever and the EX is just the remote. The EX will not work without the RUE-M1RF reciever.

And if you did get the RF, make sure you do not connect the orange wire. The instructions that come with it are very general and if you connect the orange wire, that looks pretty red the remotes will not work.

mgurley
03-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Wasn't sure about the 422i cable I did notice that it had a USB connection...I would rather use the USB but thought you may need the 422 cable for "full speed ipod control"?? it was only 15 bucks so no biggie...

I did order the RUE-M1RF not the EX but thanks for the info on the orange wire!! It may be a couple of week before I can get around to installing all of it but when I do I may hit you up with some questions if you don't mind.

CantRepeat
03-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Wasn't sure about the 422i cable I did notice that it had a USB connection...I would rather use the USB but thought you may need the 422 cable for "full speed ipod control"?? it was only 15 bucks so no biggie...

I did order the RUE-M1RF not the EX but thanks for the info on the orange wire!! It may be a couple of week before I can get around to installing all of it but when I do I may hit you up with some questions if you don't mind.

No worries, if I can help I'd be glad to! Good luck on the install.

mgurley
05-09-2011, 11:11 PM
Got it all installed...works great. I do have one question...

I have 4 cabin speakers 2front 2rear but only have two pair of wires coming back to the amp on two different channels. My guess is they are wired either series or parrallel...is this the the norm? Should I bridge each pair? What are my options for optimum sound short of pulling new wire to each speaker?

BNIROOSTER
05-10-2011, 06:59 AM

I have 4 cabin speakers 2front 2rear but only have two pair of wires coming back to the amp on two different channels. My guess is they are wired either series or parrallel...is this the the norm? Should I bridge each pair? What are my options for optimum sound short of pulling new wire to each speaker?

It sounds like your speakers are wired at a 2ohm load. Is your amp a 2 channel? If you are going to bridge them I would make sure that the speakers are rated for the wattage. Also when you bridge an amp it turns it into a mono amp. Just a question...do you have fade control now?

CantRepeat
05-10-2011, 08:06 AM

I'd probably run more wires so each speaker has it's own channel.

agarabaghi
05-10-2011, 09:27 AM
I installed sonys remote the other day. it has almost a 4 inch face and 3 1/4 cut out. It fits.

mgurley
05-10-2011, 10:20 AM
its a 4 channel amp...I would rather buy speakers that would handle the load as run new wires unless sound quality would noticeabley suffer?

I will take a look at what it would take to run wires otherwise I may just let it ride.

mgurley
05-10-2011, 10:24 AM
one note on the remote install...it couldn't have been easier... I pulled the old clarion out and the wood grain backing. there were two holes already in my armrest that the new alpine remote fit in perfectly. used power wires from the old remote, fliped the wood grain upside down, stuck the new remote in the top hole and tightened it all down. With the wood grain panel flipped it covered up the old remote hole perfectly. I'll try to get some pictures.

CantRepeat
05-10-2011, 10:28 AM
its a 4 channel amp...I would rather buy speakers that would handle the load as run new wires unless sound quality would noticeabley suffer?

I will take a look at what it would take to run wires otherwise I may just let it ride.

Either you lose the ability to fade or balance as a result of running just one channel to two speakers. How important that is to you is your call.

I fade the front speakers out when my daughter sits up front as she doesn't like it as loud as I do.

SWeaver
09-10-2011, 08:18 AM
The mc20 and the m1rf BOTH should come with RF receivers...did you need both of them, or will just one work both remotes? Thanks!

CantRepeat
09-10-2011, 09:29 AM
The mc20 and the m1rf BOTH should come with RF receivers...did you need both of them, or will just one work both remotes? Thanks!

You did need boat receivers for both remotes to work.