PDA

View Full Version : Opinions: Water left in the block

j4rowell
03-02-2011, 11:07 AM
The boat is a 1990 with a ford 351 in it with over 800 hard hours on it. The water was drained but when reinspecting it it was not drained 100%. There was a little water left in the block. The freeze plugs were not busted out and I have since then started up the motor and ran it for quite a while with no issues. I am now selling the boat and am wondering should this be something to disclose? I am not trying to pull one over on anyone hence the reason I fired it up and ran it for a bit. I guess I didn't have the trailer on the right angle for draining. Opinions? What would you do if it was your boat? Has anyone had this happen to them? How did your boat run for the summer?

I am selling the boat for 4k. All my new boats after this scary issue will be professionally winterized.

MIskier
03-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Is the boat listed in marketplace?

j4rowell
03-02-2011, 11:35 AM
No it is not, the boat has actually already been sold and the buyer is picking it up today. I am just wondering if I should tell him. He has already heard it run too.

Kevin&Annie
03-02-2011, 11:37 AM
I'm very interested if you are selling. can you send me pictures?

NatesGr8
03-02-2011, 11:44 AM
A little water left in the block should not be a problem at all. I wouldn't worry about it.

Kevin&Annie
03-02-2011, 11:50 AM
I must have been typing when you posted.

j4rowell
03-02-2011, 11:54 AM
I'm very interested if you are selling. can you send me pictures?

A little water left in the block should not be a problem at all. I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for your opinion!

The boat has been sold, and if the guy picking it up fails to show there's quite a few others trying to snag it. I am however selling it to first come first serve if he does fall through yes I will still send you pictures.

Seems like I listed at a pretty good price.

ski/hunt
03-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Have you checked the oil after you ran it?? If it looks like chocolate milk-----then you need to talk to your buyer

j4rowell
03-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Have you checked the oil after you ran it?? If it looks like chocolate milk-----then you need to talk to your buyer

Yes I did. I was told that if it's an internal blow than the oil would be milky. I had several mechanic buddy's inspect the oil after running it and they all said "Yup it's oil".

They also said with most blow out they are external and I'd see them. After running it for about 20 minutes using a fake-a-lake the oil was still in tact, there was no leaking from any external blow out, and the freeze plugs are still perfect.

pmkkdx
03-02-2011, 12:04 PM
I agree, a little water left in shouldn't be any big deal ... might cause a little bit of internal rusting over time, but I think you would be very hard pressed, even being done professionally, to get 100% of the water out of every little nook & cranny.

loeweb
03-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Unless you run antifreeze through it there is going to always be a little water left in the block. I agree with other's posts. If the oil isn't milky, and you don't have water shooting out of some new places, don't worry about it, and wouldn't worry about telling the buyer either.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-02-2011, 01:24 PM
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Ditto ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Luv2Ski
03-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Out of curiosity, how did you realize that not all of the water was drained? I am guessing maybe when you moved the trailer a little came out of the block drains? If that is all, there was probably very little water in it and plenty of room for the ice to expand. Not surprised that you did not have any cracks.

j4rowell
03-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Out of curiosity, how did you realize that not all of the water was drained? I am guessing maybe when you moved the trailer a little came out of the block drains? If that is all, there was probably very little water in it and plenty of room for the ice to expand. Not surprised that you did not have any cracks.

I drained it and then put the plugs back in early winter. I moved the boat around and I must've set it on a different angle and when I pulled the side plugs again last month to take a look you could see ice blocking those holes. I then just put the plugs back in thinking not a big deal because there couldn't have been much water left. When it became warm again I opened up the plugs and tipped the boat forward to drain the water. Only a little came out.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-02-2011, 09:14 PM
I have to be more serious about winterizing in my MN climate, but I would always leave the plugs out. Put them in a ziploc bag and attach them to the keychain to make sure you get them back in before start-up. It may not make a difference if you have a small amount of freezing, but extra expansion room is always good.