PDA

View Full Version : Help with yard

airdrew99
03-01-2011, 06:53 PM
I'm renting a house in Oxford, Miss right now. The grass is pretty ugly. There is a lot of clover and weeds in the yard. I'm wondering what I can do to make the grass look better. Some of the yard has no grass at all. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I would be willing to spend some to make it look better than it is. I live on about a 1/4 acre. Anyone have some good tips for this coming spring/summer to make a difference? Thank you.

Drew

TX.X-30 fan
03-01-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm renting a house in Oxford, Miss right now. The grass is pretty ugly. There is a lot of clover and weeds in the yard. I'm wondering what I can do to make the grass look better. Some of the yard has no grass at all. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I would be willing to spend some to make it look better than it is. I live on about a 1/4 acre. Anyone have some good tips for this coming spring/summer to make a difference? Thank you.

Drew

What kind of grass do you have?? The clover will go as the heat comes, dig the weeds out and may need to aerate the yard and top dress with some organic soil mix 1 or 2 inches. Most dirt yards have a mix they use for top dressing grass yards.

JimN
03-01-2011, 07:07 PM

Drew

If you don't mind using fertilizer and weed killer, Scott's with HALT is a good combo to start with. After that has been on for about 6 weeks, over-seed in a small area to see if it will germinate. Grass seed needs 70 degrees for that, usually starting after a couple of days at that temperature. Water it daily. You don't need to soak it too deeply, just keep it damp. If it germinates, over-seed the whole area with a sunny/shady blend. You don't need to use the stuff with pulp or anything expensive but it needs to be able to do well in sun and shade. Water it daily. Since it's not a fresh start, you won't need straw or anything like that but wait until it germinates before cutting. Once you start cutting it, leave it a little longer- the roots will usually be about as deep as the exposed blades, although really healthy turf will have deeper roots. If the grass usually grows well and doesn't have much traffic over it, it may not need aeration but top-dressing and leveling is a good idea. If you leave it a little longer, you won't need to water as much, even when it's really hot and dry. When the peak hot periods hit, it will naturally go dormant- it's not dead when it turns brown. Once it's cooler and rainy, it will green up again.

Milorganite is a natural fertilizer- check for local sellers.

airdrew99
03-01-2011, 07:11 PM
I've attached a few pictures of what it looks like from last March. I'm not sure what kind of grass it is, besides ugly.

JimN
03-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Post a close-up once it starts to grow. It looks like it has some St Augustine's in it, although it could be fescue.

Here's another link-
http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tool/index.html

JohnE
03-01-2011, 08:15 PM
I'd slice and seed and fertilize. A lot of the weeds will help keep the new seed shaded and moist to help germination. Get good grass growing then in weeks or so hit with a weed killer. Tough weeds require stronger killer which can kill some grasses too

TX.X-30 fan
03-01-2011, 08:37 PM
You could grind up an ex-wife and till her in for added organic matter..........

SkiDog
03-01-2011, 08:41 PM
You could grind up an ex-wife and till her in for added organic matter..........

MilkMania could supply that!:D

KnoxX2
03-01-2011, 08:45 PM
I bet he would even pay shipping!!!! LOL

slickwater1
03-01-2011, 08:47 PM
with that much sun I would bet bermuda in the south. If that is the case you need to round up it asap across the whole yard and kill off the unwanted cool season grasses. The bermuda will come back as soil temps begin to rise. You can def use some lime and prob. take a few treatments of 15-15-15. The clover will come back from the roundup also and spot spraying with 24D will take care of it and any other broadleafs.

aquaman
03-01-2011, 09:23 PM

If you do that it may just stimulate the CRAB grass.

JohnE
03-01-2011, 09:40 PM

What about the ethanol content? Will it burn?

iplount
03-02-2011, 12:57 AM
just my 2 cents but as a renter I don't know that I would spend my money and time on property improvements. If you really want to spend money and your time you should try and work something out with the owner to pay for materials. If time spent is significant you might ask about some predefined amount associated with the time that could offset some the rent. A good owner would usually entertain such an offer so that his property is kept up well.

airdrew99
03-02-2011, 07:17 AM
iplount,
That is a great idea. I'll call the owner today and see what she says about it. Thank you for the advice.

Drew