PDA

View Full Version : MasterCraft 3X3 Warranty...

broncotw
03-01-2011, 02:07 PM
I received some correspondence from MasterCraft for a 3X3 Extended Warranty.... It looks as if this is an extended warranty in addition to the factory warranty....

I own a 2010 Prostar 190TT.... I "think" the factory warranty is 3 years.... I purchased the boat from a TT member and the warranty was subsequently transferred to me as well...

The cost of the additional coverage is approximately $2,700.00 (including engine)....

Has anyone had any negative (or positive) experiences with this extended warranty?

Would you'll recommend this warranty?

Thanks,

Ted

sand2snow22
03-01-2011, 02:10 PM

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=39692&highlight=warranty

Ole Miss Rebels
03-01-2011, 02:12 PM
lots of people say don't buy it. i have it and considering i could afford it i wouldn't do without it. i had it on my 05 xstar and never used it. cashed it in for a pro-rated rebate. got about 40% of my money back after three full years. then i bought another one for my 08 xstar and haven't used it either but even if something small breaks i feel it will be worth it. be sure and get the accessories/ski pac. it is a few hundred dollars extra and covers a lot more stuff that is expensive.

Luv2Ski
03-01-2011, 02:15 PM
If you really just want an opinion..... I stay away from extended warranty in general. I think they are a scam.... the chances of something worth $2,700 failing in the next three years is pretty slim. If it was not slim, MC would not be selling boats due to customer dissatisfaction... my 2 cents

macattack
03-01-2011, 02:22 PM
I own a 2010 Prostar 190TT.... I "think" the factory warranty is 3 years.... I purchased the boat from a TT member and the warranty was subsequently transferred to me as well...
Ted

Hey Ted, when you bought the 2010 TT was the original warranty transferred to you at no cost? I have heard conflicting info on this one. I assume your reference to "think" it is 3 yrs would be based on when you bought it. Since it was already a year old, there may be only 2 yrs remaining on the original 3yr warranty? tks, mac

Ole Miss Rebels
03-01-2011, 02:25 PM
it takes the engine and ALL OTHER COMPONENTS out to a full six years. let an engine blow up and see if it is worth it. Let a BIG go bad, ECM, board rack, you get my thought. still, luv2ski is right in that $2700 is a lot of money. still, some of the accessories and components are only warranteed for one year. the 3 + 3 takes them out an additional five years. that is pretty good for the stuff that only has a one years factory warranty.

Ole Miss Rebels
03-01-2011, 02:34 PM
correction. it takes many, and most, components out to six years. one area of concern is that it doesn't cover overheating or issues relating to water entering the engine UNLESS either were caused by failure of a covered part. kind of open to interpretation if it came down to an engine replacement.

Cmpdman
03-01-2011, 02:40 PM
I have it and it covered an amplifier that went bad after 2 years. Still a lot of $$$.

Huskie05
03-01-2011, 02:58 PM
MC told me I have a year on the normal warranty and can make the decision to purchase the extended when I come close to getting to the end of the first year. I understand actuaries and MC does make money on this, but having a warranty for 6 years is appealing, even at $2700 clams… I have never bought extended warranties on other products or cars etc, but a six figure boat is different, at least it feels different. Basically MC is betting all repairs for 6 years will be under $2700, kind of feels like Vegas, without the wake.

TallRedRider
03-01-2011, 04:39 PM
MC told me I have a year on the normal warranty and can make the decision to purchase the extended when I come close to getting to the end of the first year. I understand actuaries and MC does make money on this, but having a warranty for 6 years is appealing, even at $2700 clams… I have never bought extended warranties on other products or cars etc, but a six figure boat is different, at least it feels different. Basically MC is betting all repairs for 6 years will be under $2700, kind of feels like Vegas, without the wake.

If they did not on average take in more money then they put out, they could not offer such a thing. So I would not get it.

But I think it would be very attractive to a prospective buyer if you planned on selling while the warranty was still in force. Probably attractive enough to gain at least part of it back through resale if you don't have a super expensive transfer fee.

Thrall
03-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Since I own nothing that is under warranty, either because it was modified before the warranty period was up or it's simply out of warranty, I'll say this hopefully without jinxing myself.
For the $3000-$4000 average for good extended waranties on big ticket vehicles (trucks, boats, etc), one could say that you'd break even on one large repair like a blown transmission, engine, BIG system, etc. Granted engine is more than $4k, BIG less I'd hope.
Now for those that buy new expensive items, you've probably bought several in the last, 10-15years between cars, boats, RV's, bikes, whatever.
Take that $3k + each time you buy something new and invest it. Say you got 3 purchases = about $10k in extended warranty. Now add interest earned. If you've saved that much by having those warranties, then by all means buy the next warranty. If not, seems to me a pretty safe bet to bet against spending the warranty money.
Now if you're a person who has no interest or skill in repairing anything your self, then mayyybe the warranty is good insurance premium. Anyone else......don't buy it, IMO.
Myself, if the Vdrive blows up in the boat, I know that I'm out $2500 and a weekend of cussing at the boat. ENgine blows, same cost, maybe 2 weekends work. Had a buddy that got charged almost $10k to put a new 350 short block in his Mercriuser powered Chapparal (bad winterization, cracked the block). For him, yeah $3k would have been a good bet had the warranty been available to him.

JohnE
03-01-2011, 09:09 PM
That 3+3 warranty is not from MC directly. Plus MC dealers do not have to accept it. Though most will. Plus side is that any boat dealer can accept it. So you can have your mc repaired at a 'bu dealer in theory under warranty. Plus it is transferrable. I don't know all the in's and out's, but that is what I know from having in on my used 197