PDA

View Full Version : California Title info.....

SWeaver
03-01-2011, 01:08 PM
I need to know what the requirements are for boats AND trailers to be titles in CA. For example, trailers under a certain weight or boats under a certain length or HP may not need a title.....I need those numbers. Thanks!

Sodar
03-01-2011, 01:16 PM
No such thing in Cali.

Row boats to mega yachts.

Radio Flyers to Semi-trailers.

They all gotta be registered... it's revenue.

coz
03-01-2011, 01:16 PM
I need to know what the requirements are for boats AND trailers to be titles in CA. For example, trailers under a certain weight or boats under a certain length or HP may not need a title.....I need those numbers. Thanks!

Generally, every sail-powered vessel over 8' in length and every motor-driven vessel, regardless of length, which is used or on the waters of this state are subject to registration. Coast Guard documented vessels are exempt from registration requirements.

SWeaver
03-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Thanks, I knew they have to be registered. It is the TITLE that I am trying to figure out, though.

Sodar
03-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Thanks, I knew they have to be registered. It is the TITLE that I am trying to figure out, though.

Both will have a title too.

Boat and trailer is titled. Everything from my inflatable Avon to my $200 JetSki trailer. Everything that is registered is titled. Offroad stuff included.

SWeaver
03-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Geez, they want all the coin they can grab.....Thanks!

coz
03-01-2011, 01:26 PM
Geez, they want all the coin they can grab.....Thanks!

They have the highest fees in the nation i'll bet. I pay $35 here in Az per year and when I lived in Ca. it was about $225 per year.

dummy
03-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Sucks - my diesel pickup is almost $700/year to register. Boat isn't as bad, though. The trailer registration will be permanent - one time fee and they'll probably issue permanent trailer plates. The boat is biannually. Vehicles are annual.

FYI - if you don't have the title for trailer or boat the CA DMV will probably issue you one. There's some paperwork you'll have to fill out if you don't have any documentation linking you to it. You'll have to do a "statement of facts" stating how it came to you and have it inspected for a VIN/Hull ID verification. Once that's complete you'll get a CA title in your name from Sacramento in a few weeks.

FYI - if you have AAA you can often avoid the DMV. Most CA AAA offices have DMV services. I've gone through a couple VIN verifications at my AAA. Way easier and they're usually more lenient.

Cmpdman
03-01-2011, 01:45 PM
It's CA. Everything is taxed... Yes, boat & trailer need registration & titles.

coz
03-01-2011, 01:54 PM
Sucks - my diesel pickup is almost $700/year to register.

I pay about half that to register 4 cars here in Az......cali is off the scales with all the fee hikes going on.

sand2snow22
03-01-2011, 02:11 PM
No such thing in Cali.

Row boats to mega yachts.

Radio Flyers to Semi-trailers.

They all gotta be registered... it's revenue.

Don't forget the mooring tax :mad:

TX.X-30 fan
03-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Sucks - my diesel pickup is almost $700/year to register. .

That is insane!!!!!!!!!!!

TX.X-30 fan
03-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Don't forget the mooring tax :mad:

Wonder what point will drive people into the streets chanting...................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dib2-HBsF08

:D:D

Huskie05
03-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Wonder what point will drive people into the streets chanting...................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dib2-HBsF08

:D:D

some days it does not seem that far off. so sick of our government screwing things up. and how the hell does a state like Ca go BK??? Unreal, stop the free freaking rides and lets get on with it.
ok, I am mad as hell now...