PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat ??

CantRepeat
03-01-2011, 06:44 AM
I used to paint cars back in the day but I've never messed with gelcoat. If thinned correctly, I think it's no more then 20% to spary it, how much coverage will you see out of a quart?

Skipper
03-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Is this one of those math questions, like if a train leaves the station at 10 o'clock and a train going 50 miles per hour leaves from another station at 11 o'clock, and both trains crash head on at 12 o'clock, what time is it in Chicago?

I did my entire ski boat a few years back. Grinded and sanded to the bare glass. Filled and blocked. Then sprayed a primary color and a blue stripe (Ski Nautique). It took one gallon of blue per side and about ten gallons of white (inside and out).

The problem is that it has to be thinned quite a bit. Then you can only spray it just thick enough before it wants to run. So, it took four to six applications to get the right thickness.

However, I was using some run of the mill gelcote that was not too expensive. There is some gelcote out there that costs almost $100 a gallon that may give better coverage. Just a matter of money.

CantRepeat
03-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Hahaha, $100 bucks a gallon? I just paid $100 bucks for number match quart from Spectrum. doh! Well, at least I know it will match.