PDA

View Full Version : Two unrelated questions...

MakeMineaS&S
02-28-2011, 09:44 PM
Well, I finally got the boat down here after my move and I'm going through the de-winterization process and general upkeep. It's led to two questions, (hence placing this in the "other" sub-forum)

1. I'm going to be upgrading to the OJ folding swim platform brackets, ('85 S&S hull.) And I noticed that my platform also has a center bracket under the dead-center of it. Does anyone know if the OJ brackets keep this center unit, and if not, are the outer brackets, (and only using two attachment points on the hull) strong enough without it? The platform is solid as a rock, but I'm in a tiny garage in a rental house now, so I need all the room I can get.

2. The driver's seat mounting screws are all stripped out of their holes. They just spin and spin. What's the best way to re-secure it? Just shoot some slightly oversized screws in there? The seat is secure, but if you push back on the footrest or try to "stretch" a little, you can get it to lean back, which is not good. I want it completely secure.

Thanks in advance. Charging the battery now, and re-inventorying the gear. Should have it on the water soon!

barefoot
03-01-2011, 02:58 PM
I can't comment on the swim platform, but I've had stripped screws in my '83 that I replaced with larger screws. Worked fine and haven't had any issues since.

Skipper
03-01-2011, 03:21 PM
1. I don't know about the OJ platform brackets, but my '95 Prostar has a removable platform. There are only two brackets, each at the end of the platform. I have a noticeable sag in the center of the platform because there isn't anything supporting it. Keep in mind that my boat is 15 years old.

2. The fiberglass that you are screwing your seat into is kaput! Bigger screws is a temporary fix. The best solution is to remove the seat, pull back the carpet, and repair the floor below the seat. You can just grind away any splintered glass then use epoxy resin and apply three layers of epoxy fiberglass mat or two layers of biaxial fiberglass mat.