PDA

View Full Version : Bad Tach?

hardycm
07-16-2005, 12:19 PM
I posted last week about a starting problem I had that I was thinking might be linked to my electronic ignition. Now that I've had a little more time to troubleshoot, I think it is related to the tach. I happened to find that (sometimes, not always) if I start the engine without the grey wire attached to the coil, then attach the grey wire, it will kill the engine, or at least cause it to stumble. I then disconnected the grey wire at both ends and ran a wire directly from the tach to the coil and was able to repeat this event with the new wire, as well. So like I said, I think its the tach.

Is there anything else I should check before I go and buy a new tach? I know there are pos. and ground leads coming into the tach -- anything I should look at in those wires? I have looked for continuity between those leads and the tach signal (grey) wire on the tach and haven't found any shorts, which was the problem I was expecting to find.

Chuck

6ballsisall
07-16-2005, 01:06 PM
Chuck,

Don't know any answers for you but sure glad to see another Tri-State guy on the board!! What part of Cincy you live in? We have several Southern Ohio guys on here and I believe one or 2 NKY guys as well. Sounds like a need for a get together (hint hint Mag Red :D )

hardycm
07-18-2005, 08:00 AM
I live in Norwood right now, relocating to Blue Ash. Ski at Williamstown mostly, but have been known to rip up the Licking R when its above summer pool. How 'bout u? I'm guessing Hidden Valley...