PDA

View Full Version : Should I Buy a 2003 x 30 100 hours of use in salt water ???

51timber
02-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Hi all,

So this is a 2003 x-30 with approximatley 120 total hours of salt water use. This was the owners toy when he was'nt on his 60 foot cruiser. The boat was trailered. It is bottom painted. It is in good shape. I will be using the boat in fresh water 90% of the time in fresh water and 10% of the time in the salt. I live on cape cod.

Is there a hard rule never buy a boat that was used in salt water period? Or is the fact it was well maintained and trailered and covered, make it ok???

Before I buy I will have the boat marine surveyed. negotiating for about $28K any thouhgts???

It has a MCX Engine.

blakehardesty
02-28-2011, 12:13 PM
My S&S had about 400 hours on it when I bought it. PO said that about 100 of them were saltwater hours but he flushed it and washed it after every salt water use. I now have 600 hours on it and it runs and operates fine. I think its hard on it but if taken care of it should be ok

51timber
02-28-2011, 12:16 PM
I should mention I am also looking at a 2004 x-2 but it has 850 hours on it. All fresh water though with a new interior. What would be a better option? I like the fact the 2003 x-30 holds up to 12. My family is huge and my relatives have a bunch of kids. How many does the 2004 X-2 hold?

willyt
02-28-2011, 01:10 PM
i have an 05 X2, if you like to bring out alot of people you'll be disappointed at the size of the boat, its a 6-7 person boat, any more than that it'll be cramped. of course, with full ballast and 7 people the wake is realllllllly nice.

I would want to see more pictures of the boat, engine compartment particularly. IMO i dont know if a person that has a 60 fter would want to take care of his 23fter. Just beeee careful.

I have 820 hours on my X2, still purs like a kitten (a 350 hp 5.7litre kitten anyway).

brucemac
02-28-2011, 01:50 PM
no comments other than that 2003 X-series wakeboard racks are very difficult to find, new OR used and i don't see any racks in the pics above. they were only made 1 year. if you get lucky enough to find them, they're spendy so be sure to take that into consideration when you're negotiating. other model year racks don't work without serious modification. just thought i'd point that out. good luck.

ShawnB
02-28-2011, 01:51 PM
I should mention I am also looking at a 2004 x-2 but it has 850 hours on it. All fresh water though with a new interior. What would be a better option? I like the fact the 2003 x-30 holds up to 12. My family is huge and my relatives have a bunch of kids. How many does the 2004 X-2 hold?

Send me a PM if you want some more info about that X2. I've logged quite a few hours behind it.

Jerseydave
02-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Here's a few thoughts:

Salt water boats must be flushed after each and every use, no exceptions. It's also a good idea to use salt-away once in a while when flushing too. WD-40 the sh** out of everything in the engine compartment each time. The trailer should also be rinsed after each use.
Did the owner do all of these things?

Also a wake boat that is bottom painted is worth about $5K under what it should be worth. My buddy had a 'Bu that he had a really hard time selling because of bottom paint, lost alot of money on that deal.

I had an '03 230VRS, nice boat, lots of room. It needed the updated rudder to handle better, the sliding board racks were not a great design, the '03 trailers had caliper issues so I had to replace all 4 of those. The boat would porpoise at high speed, had to add weight to the bow to stop that.

I would not buy a used salt water wake boat, just my opinion. Too many other nice boats out there for sale.

Thrall
02-28-2011, 02:05 PM
So the boat only has 120hrs on it? From the limited pics it looks to be in great shape. You didn't mention if it has a closed loop cooling system, half system or if it's raw water cooling, but if it has either closed system or was meticulously flushed after use, I'd go for the X30.
I wouldn't be a big fan of the bottom paint, but looks like a clean job, so not a big deal if it doesn't offend you.
Boat sounds like a much better match for your use than a 205V for sure. The boat in general and MCX engine are a solid combo. Only known problems with that era was cheap vinyl that didn't hold up as well as previous and more current years, but if it's in good shape now, it should be servicable for a while.

Latetowork
02-28-2011, 02:45 PM
For what it's worth, I have the exact same boat (color and all) and love it to death. Only issue we have with her, is the vinyl, and we had some brake problems with the trailer.

Looking at the picture closer, the trailer looks trashed and possibly wasn't rinsed out very will after salt water use.

CantRepeat
02-28-2011, 02:55 PM
Looking at the picture closer, the trailer looks trashed and possibly wasn't rinsed out very will after salt water use.

Trailer looks to be galvanized.

Latetowork
02-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Trailer looks to be galvanized.

NM then, the fenders and everything looked like mine, but in front it looks like the paint had worn of.

nmcjr
02-28-2011, 11:21 PM
Personally, I wouldn't buy a boat that was used in salt water. I have a friend in Austrailia who rides only in salt water and he has to buy a new boat every couple years because he says no matter how well you wash them down after use there are just too many areas that the salt gets to and starts to corrode that you just can't completely clean, i.e. screws, hinges etc

kenk
02-28-2011, 11:43 PM
I am dismayed to hear about boats and salt water issues...do people forget about fishing boats heading out into the ocean to fish???..You can build a top notch boat that is very resistant to the effects of salt water...ask any ocean area used boat dealer or mechanic about what boats they would buy... and which ones you couldn't give away after they were used in salt water.."Grady White" is one that is well known for building a quality boat for salt water environments...but it designed with that in mind...for that matter look at the boats around you at your favorite fishing hole 25-30 miles offshore and you'll notice only the top quality boats are out there...(the crappie boats probably sank on their way out!)...even though mastercraft sells a Salt water version of many of their boats, considering the high MSRP ...they all should be designed to withstand a slat water environment...OBTW I own a 2007 xstar SS

brucemac
03-01-2011, 03:00 AM
I am dismayed to hear about boats and salt water issues...do people forget about fishing boats heading out into the ocean to fish???..You can build a top notch boat that is very resistant to the effects of salt water...ask any ocean area used boat dealer or mechanic about what boats they would buy... and which ones you couldn't give away after they were used in salt water.."Grady White" is one that is well known for building a quality boat for salt water environments...but it designed with that in mind...for that matter look at the boats around you at your favorite fishing hole 25-30 miles offshore and you'll notice only the top quality boats are out there...(the crappie boats probably sank on their way out!)...even though mastercraft sells a Salt water version of many of their boats, considering the high MSRP ...they all should be designed to withstand a slat water environment...OBTW I own a 2007 xstar SS

i disagree with pretty much all of this.

apples and oranges.

tow boat is designed for 3 things and salt water shenanigans is not one of them.

be it 50-150K makes no difference.

that's like saying i bought a mercedes and i should be able to go mudding.

no offense. just saying.

j4rowell
03-01-2011, 10:19 AM

apples and oranges.

tow boat is designed for 3 things and salt water shenanigans is not one of them.

no offense. just saying.

yup! shenanigans:o

JohnE
03-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Hi all,

So this is a 2003 x-30 with approximatley 120 total hours of salt water use. This was the owners toy when he was'nt on his 60 foot cruiser. The boat was trailered. It is bottom painted. It is in good shape. I will be using the boat in fresh water 90% of the time in fresh water and 10% of the time in the salt. I live on cape cod.

Is there a hard rule never buy a boat that was used in salt water period? Or is the fact it was well maintained and trailered and covered, make it ok???

Before I buy I will have the boat marine surveyed. negotiating for about $28K any thouhgts???

It has a MCX Engine.

You can register as a member vs. guest by emailing phil.walker@mastercraft.com

Where on the Cape are you?

TX.X-30 fan
03-01-2011, 11:24 AM

apples and oranges.

no offense. just saying.

I agree. .......

Jeff d
03-01-2011, 12:40 PM
The OP is planning on some salt water usage. If that was the case for me I would intentionally be looking for a well maintained boat with some salt water usage. This way the previous owner takes the hit on resale instead of me.

kenk
03-02-2011, 08:07 PM

apples and oranges.

no offense. just saying.
Sorry if I implied that the boat might be used in the ocean...I really meant to say that there are lots of salt water bays and brackish rivers/creeks near the ocean that are suitable for wake boarding activities...Freshwater only boats could be designed to withstand that environment...I think...if not...please tell me why?

brucemac
03-02-2011, 09:27 PM
i went back and read your post again. i guess i may have misunderstood your point. i was thinking you were implying that the boats should be able to hold up well in salt because of the price tag. that's all i really disagree with. even though they make a saltwater series i think any boat in salt or brack raises the level of necessary care and maintenance exponentially--especially on these types of boats. i wish the OP the best of luck with their search and the upcoming season.