PDA

View Full Version : How much watts to push pro 80

samgreazy
02-27-2011, 07:27 PM
How much of an amp do i need to properly push a pair of pro 80s?

JimN
02-27-2011, 07:44 PM
How much of an amp do i need to properly push a pair of pro 80s?

How loud, what kind of music, in the boat or behind it and what's the sensitivity of the speakers?

CantRepeat
02-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Pro 80s are built for the riders listening. They will do 200 watts all day long. More power = clearer music of any type.

RMS: 200 watts
Continual: 300 watts
Peak: 400 watts

samgreazy
02-27-2011, 08:06 PM
So an 800 watt amp would do fine or do I need a 1000 watt?

JimN
02-27-2011, 08:11 PM
So an 800 watt amp would do fine or do I need a 1000 watt?

He posted the power handling- there's a reason they won't handle more- they're not made to. How many channels?

samgreazy
02-27-2011, 08:20 PM
He posted the power handling- there's a reason they won't handle more- they're not made to. How many channels?

I don't know how many channels...I am not the stereo guru that's why I'm asking? And from my understanding you can turn the amp down.

east tx skier
02-27-2011, 08:40 PM
I don't know these speakers, but a good place to start is to determine the RMS power handling of the speakers, and try to feed them that much power So if these speakers are rated at 200 watts rms and there are four of them, then a four channel amp that pushes 200 watts per channel continuous would be a good place to start.

Disclaimer: I'm not a stereo guru either.

JimN
02-27-2011, 08:40 PM
I don't know how many channels...I am not the stereo guru that's why I'm asking? And from my understanding you can turn the amp down.

How many speakers will you be using? That should answer the question of "How many channels" unless you just want to be heard 4 counties away.

Here's a link with a lot of information-
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/caraudio.asp

east tx skier
02-27-2011, 09:49 PM
MSRP on these things is around $1000 per pair. Wow!

EarmarkMarine
02-28-2011, 12:08 AM
Sam,
For a single pair of Pro80s you should have a very 'honest' 200 watts per each 4-ohm speaker.
The WetSounds Syn2 2-channel amplifier is exactly that level of power into that particular impedance so its a perfect match.
Not all amplifiers are rated equally and there is no governing body to keep mobile electronics power ratings honest. So if it appears too good to be true then it generally isn't a dependable representation.

David
Earmark Marine

76S&S
02-28-2011, 07:47 AM
^ What he said, David knows his stuff.

JimN
02-28-2011, 08:33 AM
Sam,
For a single pair of Pro80s you should have a very 'honest' 200 watts per each 4-ohm speaker.
The WetSounds Syn2 2-channel amplifier is exactly that level of power into that particular impedance so its a perfect match.
Not all amplifiers are rated equally and there is no governing body to keep mobile electronics power ratings honest. So if it appears too good to be true then it generally isn't a dependable representation.

David
Earmark Marine

You mean, the Metrosound power amp with the 5A fuse isn't really 100W/channel? CRAP!!!!!!

It's unfortunate that specs weren't standardized when the FTC set the guidelines for home audio equipment back in the '70s but then, those have been somewhat ignored lately, too.

EarmarkMarine
02-28-2011, 09:59 AM
All manufacturers should be held to a rigid standard of qualifications. My vote would be for the WLS (When Lightning Strikes) method.

David
Earmark Marine

wetsounds1
02-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Sam,

David is correct. A solid 200 watts RMS is the min. we rate all of our speakers very conservatively. Meaning that they can handle more power if driven with a clean signal. I personally run our SYN-4 to a pair of PRO 80 on our demo boat in 2 ch mode for 400x2 and a pair of MB-8 off another SYN-4 bridge for 400x2. So I have 1600 watts just on the tower. However, the RMS rating is a good place to start. Also, our amps are rated under the CEA guidelines. This is an industry standard rating system, however as David pointed out. not all companies use this and many subscribe to the WLS rating! I have seen amps 2 feet long with a tiny circuit board and metal bars attached on the inside to give the amp weight.

Are you running a single pair of 80's and that's it? Or two pairs? Do you plan on adding a second pair ever if only running one pair? If you only have one pair and only plan on ever running one pair, then you can go to a SYN-4 in 2 ch mode and get the extra power. But if you have two pairs of may have two pairs later, go with the SYN-2. It is the perfect match for one or two pair as it will drop the amp down when running 2 pairs.

Tim
Wet Sounds

JimN
02-28-2011, 10:45 AM
All manufacturers should be held to a rigid standard of qualifications. My vote would be for the WLS (When Lightning Strikes) method.

David
Earmark Marine

I do too, but part of the problem is that they can't agree on how to measure the specs, even for home equipment. All channels driven, each channel driven? How much distortion, and what type? What about damping factor, slew rate and rise time? These are being debated, even now.

I'd be in favor of using the same specs as NAB and other professional gear. They know that most specs are adequate and audible distortion is much higher than what's produced by all but the worst equipment but some kind of standard has to be adopted by the CEA/EIA and people are being screwed daily because this hasn't happened yet. The manufacturers are free to state whatever they want, or limit the power rating to 1KHz, which is great, unless the desired frequency response extends into the low and high frequencies.

Personally, I like amps that are rated in Watts/channel JBF (Just Before Fire). I never was a fan of "Sony Watts".

JimN
02-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Sam,

David is correct. A solid 200 watts RMS is the min. we rate all of our speakers very conservatively. Meaning that they can handle more power if driven with a clean signal. I personally run our SYN-4 to a pair of PRO 80 on our demo boat in 2 ch mode for 400x2 and a pair of MB-8 off another SYN-4 bridge for 400x2. So I have 1600 watts just on the tower. However, the RMS rating is a good place to start. Also, our amps are rated under the CEA guidelines. This is an industry standard rating system, however as David pointed out. not all companies use this and many subscribe to the WLS rating! I have seen amps 2 feet long with a tiny circuit board and metal bars attached on the inside to give the amp weight.

Are you running a single pair of 80's and that's it? Or two pairs? Do you plan on adding a second pair ever if only running one pair? If you only have one pair and only plan on ever running one pair, then you can go to a SYN-4 in 2 ch mode and get the extra power. But if you have two pairs of may have two pairs later, go with the SYN-2. It is the perfect match for one or two pair as it will drop the amp down when running 2 pairs.

Tim
Wet Sounds

At what point do they run into thermal compression? (If it's above any kind of "normal" listening level, it shouldn't matter but I'm curious to know if you have done destructive testing on these and measured what happens during abuse).

At some point, I hope people think about the fact that they aren't alone on whatever body of water they're skiing/boating on and being heard from great distances isn't actually impressing anyone.

CantRepeat
02-28-2011, 11:23 AM
At some point, I hope people think about the fact that they aren't alone on whatever body of water they're skiing/boating on and being heard from great distances isn't actually impressing anyone.

I couldn't agree more, Jim. I only play my stereo loud enough that I can hear either in the boat or right next to it. I stop counting how many times some POS would come anchor up and play it so loud that I couldn't hear my music 5 feet from my boat.

As with all things, it's the people not the product that cause the issues. Wetsound has a page about being courteous to other people.

brucemac
02-28-2011, 12:53 PM
i'm running 200W RMS to each of my 2 Pro80's and have been very happy (1+2 and 3+4 bridged from a Syn6).

tim and his crew are super helpful. if you get serious they're more than happy to help.

JimN
02-28-2011, 01:54 PM
I couldn't agree more, Jim. I only play my stereo loud enough that I can hear either in the boat or right next to it. I stop counting how many times some POS would come anchor up and play it so loud that I couldn't hear my music 5 feet from my boat.

As with all things, it's the people not the product that cause the issues. Wetsound has a page about being courteous to other people.

As much as I enjoy music "at a certain level" and as easy as it is to forget that the sound is carrying farther than we think, I'd like to see some kind of in-ear monitor that allows communication with the driver/passengers and to hear if another boat is close enough that it's a concern. This might also help avoid ear damage from hard face plants, if the design took that into consideration. OTOH, that would put the kibosh on a whole industry.

It could be amusing for others, too. Imagine an electric boat that makes almost no noise and a bunch of laughing, yelling people flying along. Yeah, we're laughing with you. That's right.:D