PDA

View Full Version : Tacho and Temperature gauge stopped working.

mallees
02-27-2011, 06:43 PM
Took my 04 X2 out on the weekend and although the weather was great (90 deg F) I had a horror run. We have had 3 separate floods in the area this season, so our river has been full of debris for months. All the big stuff has gone, but we have a heap of duckweed and small bits of bark that have washed in from the flooded forests. This stuff keeps getting stuck in the Perfect Pass paddlewheel and wreaking havoc with our speed control. Every 5 minutes, I had stop riding and swim under the boat to free up the paddlewheel before continuing with my ride. My wife/driver started to use the tacho to maintain speed, and then the Tacho and the temp gauge both stopped working.
We tried turning the boat off, and disconnected the battery to see if this would reset them, but it didn't.
I pulled the boat out pretty much straight away, with all the weed at rubbish in the river, I was concerned that without a temp gauge there was too great a risk of overheating.
On the run back to the ramp, I noticed that the Perfect Pass tacho was working but not the main tacho, so I guess the information is getting back to the ECU??

Sorry about the essay.

My questions are,
Do all the gauges run on a "bus" and all it needs is a reset?
Have both gauges blown up?
Is there a fuse somewhere for these gauges?

bturner2
02-27-2011, 10:34 PM
The early Medallion gauges were notorious for being flaky with intermittent problems. A lot of the issues with the 03 I had were related to noise on the bus primarily due to poor grounding. My gauges would be fine one day and then one or two would quit working the next. I'd start with making sure all the terminal ends were clean and tight.

My boat did get better with all the work I did making sure everything was correct but I never did get it to be 100% right. I was about to replace the ECM when I decided to sell it for the boat I currently have. I've had zero issues with my07 X2. There should be posts including some of mine on this site about how people have addressed this issue. Good luck.

mallees
02-28-2011, 04:04 AM
I have checked all the connections and they are dry, clean and tight. The boat has always been kept under cover and never been near salt water.

So are they on a bus? because if they are I should be able to plug them into other sockets and it should prove whether the gauges are dead or not??

bturner2
02-28-2011, 09:43 AM
As I understand it the gauges themselves are just digital indicators and respond to input from the control box. Completely different than the gauges that I grew up with that worked off sending units directly attached to the motor. I believe each is wired to a circuit for a specific output (ie amps, oil pressure etc) but couldn't tell you what they'll do if connected to another port. Logic would dictate that while the reading would be meaningless they should indicate something if still working.

When I was trouble shooting mine I was told that the dealer now had a tool that would check the individual gauges and the control box and could locate the exact problem. I got close to the point of having this work done but ended selling the boat before taking it in. To be truthful I'd have a hard time believing that two gauges went bad at the same time and would lean towards the box as the source of the problem. Unfortunately the box is no cheap item to purchase. Don't suppose you have a dealer with the test gear down under.

You may want to see if Medallion support will help you. I found this link on their web site.....

http://www.medallionis.com/Support.html

Also found this 800 number to call.....

Please call Medallion at (800) 828-8127 for more information about Marine products.

mallees
03-01-2011, 01:36 AM
Thanks bturner2, Appreciate your help. I have left them a message, lets hope they get back to me.

brucemac
03-01-2011, 02:08 AM
The early Medallion gauges were notorious for being flaky with intermittent problems. A lot of the issues with the 03 I had were related to noise on the bus primarily due to poor grounding. My gauges would be fine one day and then one or two would quit working the next. I'd start with making sure all the terminal ends were clean and tight.

My boat did get better with all the work I did making sure everything was correct but I never did get it to be 100% right. I was about to replace the ECM when I decided to sell it for the boat I currently have. I've had zero issues with my07 X2. There should be posts including some of mine on this site about how people have addressed this issue. Good luck.

do you have all your helm electronics, pumps, etc, on the same circuit as your stereo? large stereo? relay for stereo? sounds like either grounding or simultaneous amp draw. ecm maybe freaking out? :idunno:

bturner2
03-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Good point. Everyone always told me it was a noise problem. I also had to add a noise filter on my Perfect Pass (per PP support). The PP was acting flaky, after installing the filter all the problems in the PP were gone. Still had the gauge problem.

mallees
03-01-2011, 08:27 PM
do you have all your helm electronics, pumps, etc, on the same circuit as your stereo? large stereo? relay for stereo? sounds like either grounding or simultaneous amp draw. ecm maybe freaking out? :idunno:

I have a big stereo, but it is fed from a separate battery and fuse panel