PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Pitting

BrianM
08-24-2004, 10:57 AM
I have some pitting on my rudder in a couple of places (one towards the top the other just about centered) each about the size of a nickel. Was wondering what this is from and if it is a major issue. The boat is only run in fresh water and is stored on the trailer. I would post a picture but the boat is in the shop still with a transmission leak that seems to be coming from nowhere.

oxmach
08-22-2006, 01:29 PM
Bump....

I saw this when searching for some information. I have som pitting on my rudder and one or two of the fins on my 05. Never had any problems with my o2, but I did add a dock this year with aluminum legs and frame.
Anybody else notice this?

88 PS190
08-22-2006, 01:33 PM
do you have any zinc on your boat to protect the castings from being corroded?

BrianM
08-22-2006, 01:51 PM
To answer my own question the bitting is from prop cavitation. Normal to see a little bit of bitting on the rudder on some of the older boats.

oxmach
08-22-2006, 02:05 PM
No zincs that I'm aware of. Not sure where they would go? The pitting I'm seeing, looks like small raised dots, almost like sparks from welding settling on the rudder and fin. Nothing on the prop.

east tx skier
08-22-2006, 02:06 PM
To answer my own question the bitting is from prop cavitation. Normal to see a little bit of bitting on the rudder on some of the older boats.

Brian, when you get it back, can you post pictures of it. Curious if I've got any on mine.

chudson
08-22-2006, 02:28 PM
There was a post on this before, I looked for it but no dice. If I remember though it's caused by "tiny bubbles" (no relation to Don Ho ) from cavition sort of acting like a little sand blaster on the fins and rudder. Some one can add if they know more about it!!!

BrianM
08-22-2006, 02:58 PM
Brian, when you get it back, can you post pictures of it. Curious if I've got any on mine.
This thread was dug out of the grave from 2004. The pitting I had was on my '88 so no pictures.
There was a post on this before, I looked for it but no dice. If I remember though it's caused by "tiny bubbles" (no relation to Don Ho ) from cavition sort of acting like a little sand blaster on the fins and rudder. Some one can add if they know more about it!!!
You have it exactly right.

east tx skier
08-22-2006, 02:59 PM
Could you feel it (kind of like hail damage)?