PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Ski Boat - Set, up & features

mramerman@gmail.com
02-25-2011, 11:28 PM
Random question--but I am very interested in your feedback / experience. If you were building your ultimate "pure-ski boat" (Mastercraft of course).... and you could have it built from scratch, using any features, hull, configuration etc., from any MC in history. How, what would you do and/or include?

Double D
02-25-2011, 11:50 PM
Random question--but I am very interested in your feedback / experience. If you were building your ultimate "pure-ski boat" (Mastercraft of course).... and you could have it built from scratch, using any features, hull, configuration etc., from any MC in history. How, what would you do and/or include?

Simple: Fully loaded X-7. I know that it has extra features beyond a "pure-ski boat" but its still a DD and what I consider "pure-ski boat".

ski_king
02-26-2011, 12:19 AM
..........."pure-ski boat"
Since you say pure ski boat, my first choice would be a late model 190, with backseat removed. No need for room for more than 4 counting skier. Bimini, heater, Zero Off, with a least the MCX and Power Slot.

Second choice would be a 93 S&S.

Sullivan
02-26-2011, 12:49 AM
1993,1994, 1995 PS190 with a 6.0 Ilmore, PowerSlot, Zero Off, open bow. Maybe make it wider.

EricB
02-26-2011, 01:24 AM
They already did make it. The 90's hulls (both the early and the later ones) with LT1's. Since then, they have all been compromised by attempting to make them more family oriented.

The next best thing now is the SN 200.

But, that's just one persons opinion.

cdstukey
02-26-2011, 01:57 AM
'95-'96 190 LT1, power slot, bimini, no tower...

or if I wanted to compromise a little bit -

214 DD 6.0, traditional 197 layout with rear locker, mini tower with bimini

oh yeah, and give 'em both an early eighties stars and stripes gel/decal set

JLeuck64
02-26-2011, 02:20 AM
BF200
(Light and wicked faaaasssst!)
((And sips fuel too...))

ProStar Slalom
02-26-2011, 02:24 AM
They already did make it. The 90's hulls (both the early and the later ones) with LT1's. Since then, they have all been compromised by attempting to make them more family oriented.

The next best thing now is the SN 200.

But, that's just one persons opinion.

Eric, you're spot on. Don't know that I'll ever need anything "better" than my '01 19Skier with the 95-97 hull and a 310Hp Predator. It holds the wife, the dog, me, and an occasional 3d skier just fine.

03geetee
02-26-2011, 04:53 AM
Simple,

My current boat with a 408 Windsor with a 4 blade prop and 0 hours on the hour meter. Other then that I wouldnt change a thing.

JTR

Mgboyd25
02-26-2011, 10:26 AM
Totally random but windshield wipers would make me sound as a pound

Mgboyd25
02-26-2011, 10:30 AM
If I could design a wrap for the side of the boat I would want it to look like an old fighter plane,jet

Skipper
02-26-2011, 02:00 PM
I would go with a 2011 MC Prostar 197 Tournament Team boat. If not already included I would add heated seats, heater, and heated shower. It is drive by wire and comes equipped with Zero Off. It comes equipped with the MTS ballast system. I would stick with the fiberglass swim platform because the rubber pad protects the bottom of your ski when you are on the platform. I would get on of those snap in bow covers to close off the open bow during the colder months. I would go with a tandem axle trailer because I tow long distances.

But since that boat costs more than I make in two years salary, I will stick with my '95 Prostar 190 with PP 6.5ng and an ACME 4 blade prop. A bit of ballast at the very front of the bow to reduce the rooster tail, and a one-inch riser block under the TBI for a little more power.

Now if I could just afford to put gas in it.

MIskier
02-26-2011, 02:25 PM
A narrower lighter closed bow boat built using infusion technology to keep the weight out...and stripped of all non essential things adding weight to the boat

CantRepeat
02-26-2011, 02:26 PM
I'm thinking it would be electric!

sully
02-26-2011, 03:29 PM
This might be outside of what you were asking but I would still do a X14, but would prefer it to be a closed bow. Get rid of the tanks and have bags for the ballast. Have the ski racks that could carry more than two items.

mramerman@gmail.com
02-26-2011, 05:45 PM
A narrower lighter closed bow boat built using infusion technology to keep the weight out...and stripped of all non essential things adding weight to the boat

What is "infusion technology?"

MIskier
02-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Instead of the boat being laid up "wet" like they are now, the resin is pulled through the fiberglass layers after they have been laid in the mold under a vacuum. This gives the boat a better resin to glass ratio, which means a stronger laminate, that is also lighter due to there being no excess resin in the product.

aquaman
02-26-2011, 06:31 PM
BF200
(Light and wicked faaaasssst!)
((And sips fuel too...))

The BF 200 gets my vote too. LUV mine. NO wake, great hole shot, and Faaaast :)

btw.....she sips fuel. good thing now we are getting Robbed at the pump.

JohnE
02-26-2011, 06:41 PM
What is "infusion technology?"

Instead of the boat being laid up "wet" like they are now, the resin is pulled through the fiberglass layers after they have been laid in the mold under a vacuum. This gives the boat a better resin to glass ratio, which means a stronger laminate, that is also lighter due to there being no excess resin in the product.

You are so off base. It's when fruit is soaked in vodka long enough that when you eat the fruit you don't taste the vodka but really catch a good buzz. Apparantly college is different in new orleans than the rest of the country. I expected more from down there.

MIskier
02-26-2011, 07:07 PM
Down here we have the stones to just go straight from the bottle...we dont need any pansy vodka soaked fruit:D

mramerman@gmail.com
02-26-2011, 07:13 PM
In the Northwest we don't screw around with Vodka. Straight whiskey. Ice if we need a mixer.

Patrick Hardy
02-26-2011, 07:35 PM

That is exactly the same question I asked myself 14 years ago...my answer then was the exact boat I bought and still own today...1996 MC Prostar 190 with LT1, powerslot, all of the options of the day and a tandem axel trailer to ski & pull the boat everywhere and anywhere.

If I was looking today...it would be the same fully optioned out 2011 MC Prostar 190..."Pure Ski Boat".

MakeMineaS&S
02-28-2011, 10:03 PM
91-94 PS190 hull, MCX or equivalent, Powerslot, bimini, zero-off, no back seat/sundeck, and metalflake old-school S&S gelcoat. "Storage" is in the bow or gunnels, like it should be.

And for me personally, I'd go with the '80-'85 era "mufflers" that let the engine rumble. (Maybe they were glasspacks? Whatever they were, by now, the ones on my boat don't "muffle" much, and the engine sounds SO sweet. Especially when you are behind her. Rode behind a stock '08 Response and the poor thing sounded so appliance-like in comparison. At least you can have a conversation above idle in the new boat though.)

eficalibrator
03-01-2011, 10:53 AM
If money were no object, I'd have a PS214/X14 custom made with a carbon fiber hull, inner tub, stringers and tower. LSA Engine should be fine with the reduced weight. Add carbon ballast tanks with ~2400lb of on board capacity and you'd have a pretty good balance of lightweight slalom boat and ballasted wakeboard machine. Then just throw all the usual goodies of PP, heater, stereo, leather seats and the standard P-magnet. Give it a classis S&S color scheme and add sunshine...

87MCProstar
03-01-2011, 11:53 AM
If no money issues it'd be a 93-97 190 PS Hull, LS series motor supercharged to keep me happy and heater, heated seats and shower to keep the wife happy.

Sodar
03-01-2011, 11:56 AM
'95-'96 190 LT1, power slot, bimini, no tower...

or if I wanted to compromise a little bit -

214 DD 6.0, traditional 197 layout with rear locker, mini tower with bimini

oh yeah, and give 'em both an early eighties stars and stripes gel/decal set

Winner Winner!

If MC made a 214 the with the traditional layout, I would be upgrading my 197.

JohnE
03-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Winner Winner!

If MC made a 214 the with the traditional layout, I would be upgrading my 197.

I keep thinking about that, but it doesn't seem possible. When I look at the back seat placement, there isn't enough room to move it forward to accomodate a sunpad/ ski locker with the engine placement as is. And I remember something when the 214 was being introduced about them playing with engine placement and it was critical for it to be where it is.

Sodar
03-01-2011, 01:19 PM
I keep thinking about that, but it doesn't seem possible. When I look at the back seat placement, there isn't enough room to move it forward to accomodate a sunpad/ ski locker with the engine placement as is. And I remember something when the 214 was being introduced about them playing with engine placement and it was critical for it to be where it is.

Pipe dream either way. I can't afford a new boat! :D

east tx skier
03-01-2011, 01:44 PM
If it was a MC, 1993 Stars & Stripes 190, LT-1, powerslot, factory ground rudder, Acme 541, Perfect Pass SG, very low slung bimini, back seat removed, less than a half of a tank of gas.

If we are opening up the options to all manufacturers and money is no object, then, my current 13 year old boat in its present configuration with a modification to make it back to starboard.

Skipper
03-01-2011, 03:05 PM
The best ski boat setup!

A nice looking boat with great hole-shot and a gentle sloping wake that is loaded with hot young blonde girls in teenie weenie bikinis.

cdstukey
08-18-2011, 02:43 PM
A little bit off of the pure ski boat direction but I was thinking about this the other day.
Why don't they put the ballast controls (and/or a touch screen with duplicate ballast /trim /PP /stereo controls) at the observers seat? The driver should be focusing on driving, while the observer who is focused on the skier/boarder is ideally situated to make trim and ballast adjustment for the rider. These could have a hand off function that had to be initiated by the drivers master control to prevent unwanted activity from little ones or the like.
I don't know, just a thought.

east tx skier
08-18-2011, 04:25 PM
We often ski without an observer (not required in Texas if you have a large mirror). Those controls would be a pain for us in that situation.

gr82bgreen
08-18-2011, 04:52 PM
91-94 PS190 hull, MCX or equivalent, Powerslot, bimini, zero-off, no back seat/sundeck, and metalflake old-school S&S gelcoat. "Storage" is in the bow or gunnels, like it should be.

And for me personally, I'd go with the '80-'85 era "mufflers" that let the engine rumble. (Maybe they were glasspacks? Whatever they were, by now, the ones on my boat don't "muffle" much, and the engine sounds SO sweet. Especially when you are behind her. Rode behind a stock '08 Response and the poor thing sounded so appliance-like in comparison. At least you can have a conversation above idle in the new boat though.)

Funny how the PS 190 that can be had for under 10g is getting way more love than any of the high price luxury boats. Maybe money doesnt always talk.

callaway_1
08-18-2011, 04:53 PM

Absolutely!
The best hull ever.

I would add a split or "walk through" windshield for ventilation.

Sullivan
08-18-2011, 05:47 PM
The 190 has too much spray at short line lengths. For me it would be a new hull that is just a little wider than the 190 and has softer wakes and no spray. No tower, no screens, maybe a observers seat ballast, heated stearing wheel, heated seat, heater and hot water shower.

cdstukey
08-18-2011, 06:35 PM
We often ski without an observer (not required in Texas if you have a large mirror). Those controls would be a pain for us in that situation.

Yeah that's where the duplicate part would come in handy. :)

liledgy
08-18-2011, 09:43 PM

Illinois doesn't require an observer either, at least where we ski. LOL

east tx skier
08-18-2011, 09:45 PM
Yeah that's where the duplicate part would come in handy. :)

Sorry. Missed that part. I suppose it could be handy. But these boats are expensive enough without duplicating gauges. I realize this is the perfect world thread though so I'm going to strangle my practical side. :)

Sullivan
08-19-2011, 01:00 AM
A little bit off of the pure ski boat direction but I was thinking about this the other day.
Why don't they put the ballast controls (and/or a touch screen with duplicate ballast /trim /PP /stereo controls) at the observers seat? The driver should be focusing on driving, while the observer who is focused on the skier/boarder is ideally situated to make trim and ballast adjustment for the rider. These could have a hand off function that had to be initiated by the drivers master control to prevent unwanted activity from little ones or the like.
I don't know, just a thought.

You don't get Perfect Pass anymore. No need to make any adjustments with ZO or even the Stargazer PP. Once the speed is set the only thing you need to be concerned with is keeping the boat going straight. Stereo, its never on when we are skiing. No Ballast wanted in a slalom boat unless its the buddy ballast that you can fill when there is no observer. There are no trim adjustments in a DD slalom boat. Keep the slalom boats low tech and simple.

I would really like to see Mastercraft get back to a pure hardcore slalom boat again and leave the X-9 and X14 DD for guys with families and that want to use the boat on open water. But a pure ski boat, lets keep it simple, light and efficient.

callaway_1
08-19-2011, 08:28 AM
You don't get Perfect Pass anymore. No need to make any adjustments with ZO or even the Stargazer PP. Once the speed is set the only thing you need to be concerned with is keeping the boat going straight. Stereo, its never on when we are skiing. No Ballast wanted in a slalom boat unless its the buddy ballast that you can fill when there is no observer. There are no trim adjustments in a DD slalom boat. Keep the slalom boats low tech and simple.

I would really like to see Mastercraft get back to a pure hardcore slalom boat again and leave the X-9 and X14 DD for guys with families and that want to use the boat on open water. But a pure ski boat, lets keep it simple, light and efficient.

That is what made MC famous.

cdstukey
08-19-2011, 10:32 AM
Sorry, probably the wrong thread for that, but I didn't recall a dream wake boat thread or feel like starting a new thread. I wasn't really thinking of that set up on a 190 (or any boat in particular). Just randomly thinking about different applications of current technologies in general. Some of my favorite boats most advanced control adjustments still involve the end gates, a stopwatch and an Allen key.

TLR67
08-19-2011, 10:36 AM
190, Fat Sack, Bimini, and Babes..... Hey I got that set up!!