PDA

View Full Version : 2007 X2 speedo question

g-mantrix
02-25-2011, 03:28 PM
last time on the river the speedo had stopped displaying speed, would simply indicate 0 when moving on both gauge and cruise. Now there was some small debris on the river, as in duckweed and small bits of bark due to recent flooding.
When I noticed this first time, I shifted into reverse thinking some debris clogging the drive mech under the boat, and within a few seconds speed displayed again. Display stopped a couple of times more and engaged reverse and all good.
However, the last time display stopped before putting boat back on trailer, just couldnt get the speed to display, so Im thinking perhaps the drive mech under the boat may be clogged still or may have been damaged.
Questions...
what is the mechanism that drives the speedo?
where (under the boat I assume) is this located?
and if damaged, is it easily replaced?
any other thoughts why I have this problem?

thanks in advance guys :)

tr6coug
02-25-2011, 05:25 PM
There is a small paddle wheel on the hull. IIRC its on the center line near the middle drain plug. The paddle wheel should free-spin when you flick it with your finger. If not, then it probably has some junk stuck in it. It is a magnetic sensor, there is no mechanical link between the paddle wheel and the speedo. The speedo needle is driven by a servo motor.

g-mantrix
02-26-2011, 07:08 AM
thanks tr6coug, before putting in the water today, got underneath, found the paddle wheel, gave it a flick and out comes a couple of bits of smallish bark. Made sure paddle wheel spun freely and in the water to test...all good :D