PDA

View Full Version : Noisy fuel pump and missing power

André
07-15-2005, 10:39 PM
94 Prostar 350 TBI
Couldn't get on speed for skiing tonight and the fuel pump started to get noisy ,engine was bugging over 2800 rpm and was definetely starving for fuel.Too dark now to check the filter and screen at the inlet of the pump but will do it first thing in the morning.
Does a clogged filter or any restrictions before the pump would make it suddenly noisy or is the pump definetely dead ?
Is that a part that you can replace with an automotive part ?
Will look at the fuel lines form the pump to the tank also.
Is there an anti syphon thing on my boat and where is it ?
Thanks for any tips guys!!! :worthy:

erkoehler
07-15-2005, 10:43 PM
I seem to have an extra "new" fuel pump in my garage that should work on your boat. Never used, make me an offer.........

André
07-15-2005, 10:49 PM
Erk
Don't you have the LT 1 ?
Not sure yet if it's the pump or a blockage...as i didn't change the fuel filter for at least 250 hrs !!! Shouldn,t post this outloud i know...
But will know for sure in the AM tomorrow and will shoot you an E mail or PM if the pump is the culprit(sp).
Thanks a lot for the offer,will let you know either way Erk.

John B
07-15-2005, 10:50 PM
Andre, Yes you can get a fuel filter a automotive parts house.I got mine at Napa.
A fuel pump, no.

John B
07-15-2005, 10:52 PM
The LT1 and the 350 TBI use the same pump.

André
07-15-2005, 10:53 PM
Thanks John! Wasn't sure about the pump...Go ski !

erkoehler
07-15-2005, 11:09 PM
I don't have the LT-1 I have the 275hp

Thrall
07-16-2005, 01:21 PM
Andre,
If everything checks clear w/ your lines and filters, you need to check the fuel pressure suppled. If it's low, I think your fuel pump is shot. Don't know the exact spec, 35 psi running ??
If the anti siphon valve in the tank was no good, you'd have trouble starting because the fuel would bleed back into the tank.

chico
07-19-2005, 07:30 PM
andre
take your pump off and check yhe sreen at the inlet end.I use a dental pick to clean mine every year.

jimmer2880
07-19-2005, 08:13 PM
If it's the same pump as on my '95 - it's only a 25 PSI pump. To make matters worse, there isn't a shrader valve on my factory line (yet - will be soon!)

Andre' - until a couple weeks ago - I had a "spare" pump. But, had to use that & now even that one is bad. AAGGGHHHH!

for what it's worth - MC is now saying that I should put a filter in-line before the pump & remove the one after the pump. If you have the same config - you probably want to do the same thing.

lakes Rick
07-19-2005, 09:14 PM
I seem to have an extra "new" fuel pump in my garage that should work on your boat. Never used, make me an offer.........

HEY, Vince said to send it to me for 50 Bucks....... No beer for you at the "bob a palooza".......

lakes Rick
07-19-2005, 09:16 PM
The LT1 and the 350 TBI use the same pump.

JohnB, are you sure?? The pressure requirements are quite different... Like 20pds vs. 45...

jimmer2880
07-20-2005, 06:44 AM
JohnB, are you sure?? The pressure requirements are quite different... Like 20pds vs. 45...

Yup - I can back him up. On my '95 - they're the same pump according to DIM.

André
07-25-2005, 12:03 PM
Sorry i couldn't give an update before,the computer went down...and i can't post attachements now,don't know why.
The screen at the inlet of the pump was clugged with carpets fibers and dog hairs!!! :purplaugh
Problem was solve the next morning and i didn't miss a set...until i broozed some ribs on saturday morning.No skiing since but should be back on water tonight.Came off # 5 with too much speed and tried to make it to 6 in a bad position,went OTF and had just enough time to turn on my side before hitting the water.
Considering a vest with hard paddings...

PS.
Have pic of the clogged screen but can't post them.RIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCC?

Ric
07-25-2005, 12:11 PM
Sorry i couldn't give an update before,the computer went down...and i can't post attachements now,don't know why.
The screen at the inlet of the pump was clugged with carpets fibers and dog hairs!!! :purplaugh
Problem was solve the next morning and i didn't miss a set...until i broozed some ribs on saturday morning.No skiing since but should be back on water tonight.Came off # 5 with too much speed and tried to make it to 6 in a bad position,went OTF and had just enough time to turn on my side before hitting the water.
Considering a vest with hard paddings...

PS.
Have pic of the clogged screen but can't post them.RIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCC?
Here is Andre's screen pic

André
07-25-2005, 01:17 PM
Thanks Ric!

Ric
07-25-2005, 01:18 PM
Is that a red sock in the pic?

André
07-25-2005, 01:33 PM
Is that a red sock in the pic?
Nope,red shorts but in the same condition.Want to see my "Big toe" ? :uglyhamme

rspiecha
07-25-2005, 06:07 PM
Don't forget to check the water/fuel separator. My 1994 came with one, that the dealer suggested to do away with.

Rob

Ric
07-25-2005, 06:12 PM
Nope,red shorts but in the same condition.Want to see my "Big toe" ? :uglyhamme
you killed the thread with that one andre!

jberylec
07-28-2005, 01:19 PM
wow! how did all that get in the fuel tank?! :uglyhamme

André
07-28-2005, 03:40 PM
100 hrs a season with 5 gallons jugs,a Yellow Lab,carpet fibers and any other junk that can pass the funnel screen.
I cleaned that screen when i got the boat 250 hrs ago.

lakes Rick
07-28-2005, 07:31 PM
Don't forget to check the water/fuel separator. My 1994 came with one, that the dealer suggested to do away with.

Rob

I did away with mine last year also.. Absolutely NO difference.. BUT what I do think is you possibly create a problem like Andre' has with gunk getting to the fuel pump screen. With the water filter you get filtering before the pump.. I am going to reinstall mine......

Carcass
07-15-2010, 06:44 PM
I am having the exact same problem. I had a new TBI pump (don't ask), but the new pump is making the same noise and the power is still a problem.

I also replaced the fuel filter.

Is there something (filter/sock) in the tank that may be clogged??

Thanks in advance!