PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Module problems and questions

jwskier
02-24-2011, 09:55 PM
Ok, explanation. I have a 99 pstar 205 with the LTR engine, Distributerless Ignition system, with the coal packs.

A couple years ago I switched wires on the alternator and sent a jolt through the system, since then, I've had a hesitation at high RPM's (above 3500) I had to replace the ECM, and have checked all other issues off the list. Fuel is fine, manifold/riser gaskets replaced, plugs and wires are good. My local mechanic has narrowed down to possible ignition module, but there is no way of knowing for sure, and the part is 1,000 if purchased through mastercraft from Indmar.

I pulled the module off the boat the other day, and spent a couple hours looking online for a similar part. I found what looks like the exact part from summitt racing http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SMP-LX362/?rtype=10. The part is a Standard Motor Product Ignition Module LX362. and I can get it for 225.00, also found for 170 on Amazon. I've ordered the part hoping it might work.

My question is, could I do any damage to the system if I try that part? Visually it is an exact match, but I don't know if there is something internally in an ignition module that would be different on a marine indmar and a GM auto....

Any thoughts from anyone? Your help is appreciated

Table Rocker
02-24-2011, 10:37 PM
I would suspect that the auto part is set up for a closed loop, getting feedback from the O2 sensors in the exhaust system. The marine system would most likely be an open loop system. It still might work okay in an open loop mode. It looks like you are going to find out.

milehigh970
02-25-2011, 12:59 AM
I wouldn't think the module would have anything to do with open and closed loop. This is all done in the ecm... Anyone have a wiring diagram for this year i can take a look at?

Table Rocker
02-25-2011, 10:02 AM
I wouldn't think the module would have anything to do with open and closed loop. This is all done in the ecm... Anyone have a wiring diagram for this year i can take a look at?
I was thinking he was replacing the ECM, duh he has already done that. You are right, the ignition module isn't making decisions, the ECM is.

I should learn to read/comprehend better.

I think it was the $1000 price tag that threw me. Maybe it is making decisions.

JimN
02-25-2011, 10:31 AM
Ok, explanation. I have a 99 pstar 205 with the LTR engine, Distributerless Ignition system, with the coal packs.

A couple years ago I switched wires on the alternator and sent a jolt through the system, since then, I've had a hesitation at high RPM's (above 3500) I had to replace the ECM, and have checked all other issues off the list. Fuel is fine, manifold/riser gaskets replaced, plugs and wires are good. My local mechanic has narrowed down to possible ignition module, but there is no way of knowing for sure, and the part is 1,000 if purchased through mastercraft from Indmar.

I pulled the module off the boat the other day, and spent a couple hours looking online for a similar part. I found what looks like the exact part from summitt racing http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SMP-LX362/?rtype=10. The part is a Standard Motor Product Ignition Module LX362. and I can get it for 225.00, also found for 170 on Amazon. I've ordered the part hoping it might work.

My question is, could I do any damage to the system if I try that part? Visually it is an exact match, but I don't know if there is something internally in an ignition module that would be different on a marine indmar and a GM auto....

Any thoughts from anyone? Your help is appreciated

There are two IC modules used on these- one is a Delphi and the other is a Motorola part. Look at the part number and google it.

jwskier
02-25-2011, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the responses guys... I'm attaching pictures of the module that I took off my boat.... as you can see, it looks exactly like the one on summitt racing. I also googled all the numbers I could find, and nothing came up64653

Brian B
10-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Whatever came of this? I'm in the same boat.

gr82bgreen
10-07-2011, 06:57 PM
Whatever came of this? I'm in the same boat.

He replied in another thread
#9 03-16-2011, 10:12 PM
jwskier
TT Newbie Join Date: May 2005

I actually have having ignition problems as well, on a 99 with the LTR engin. I posted a question under electric. My dealer said I had a bad ignition module, and the Indmar price was 850-1,100. I pulled it off the boat and went "googling" and found the part at summit racing. Here's the link. . http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SMP-LX362/?rtype=10 I can confirm that the part was from a cadillac!

I actually ended up buying it from Amazon, and got it for 170.00. However, I decided to clean all the connections and reinstall the old module before I put the new on one. When I got it back together, everything ran like a champ. Actually sent the part back to amazon today.

Thanks for posting the details... If i had this information, i would have saved myself several months of research. Anyway, for anybody else that has hesitation/electric/ignition problems, and you've eliminated everything else, and your mechanic says it's the ignition module, don't worry, you don't have to fork over 1K!

Brian B
10-07-2011, 07:02 PM
^ Thanks man! Im off to inspect and clean my module!