PDA

View Full Version : First Time Boat Owner And Lost

Hooligan80
02-24-2011, 08:10 PM
I just bough my very first boat, a 1992 ProStar 190 with the 351W. I bought it off a young kid who still lived at home with his parents and he didn't seem to know much about it. I now have it sitting in the garage and plan on taking it out within the next two weeks. The only boat I have ever driven is a I/O, what do I need to be aware of that is different. The silver button on the throttle is the gear, am I right?? What about starting it, is there a choke or a certain procedure other than just sticking the key in the ignition and cranking?? Any advice and pointers would be greatly appreciated especially since I am about to take it out amd do a trial by fire soon.

JulioX2
02-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Congrats on the boat purchase! Not familiar with the prostars, but with direct/ V-drives you'll find you can't steer in reverse. Takes some practice.
There's a wealth of info on this forum. Be warned though posts pics of your boat and guys will help you out. We are picture crazy here.
Welcome again!

milehigh970
02-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Yep.. Rule number 1... Back and to the right! You have no steering control under reverse power, the boat will just push to the right slightly. With practice it won't be a big deal.. Swinging the back around and using that back and right motion to park with ease ;) Someone with this era will chime in.. But on my boat i push lever full throttle, pull pin, and turn key... When its cold i normally have to feather the throttle just a touch and when it starts leave it just off idle. By the time i turn on the radio and pick a song on the ipod i can drop it to idle without it dying. Not sure though is a 93 carb or fi? Oh and where are the pics? :)

93Prostar190
02-24-2011, 09:11 PM
I had a 93 Prostar 190 ... great boat ... sure hope you enjoy the skiing and driveability of the boat ... You probably have a Carb setup and you need to follow cold starting procedure by choking the engine ... pulling out the silver knob on the throttle effectively creates neutral and allows you to rev the engine and start it ... I used to pull the knob ... and move the lever in reverse to 5 o'clock or so ... and back it off to 3 o'clock as I would crank it cold..... I would take care to not over rev ...

You can easily find a manual online if you search these boards for the boat and it will have operation tips ...

Pulling into a dock you should approach with the dock on your starboard side at a 45 degree angle ... as you use the reverse to stop the boat, you will find the stern pulling itself to the dock .... practice and take it slow .... before long you will be a pro ....

post some pics ... .consider a electronic ignition upgrade if you don't have it already ..... enjoy ...

http://www.mastercraft.com/knowledge/owners_manuals (check here for a manual)

post pics ... tell us more .... good luck and welcome aboard.

93Prostar190
02-24-2011, 09:12 PM
one more thing ... register and get on the TeamTalk board with us ...

mayo93prostar
02-24-2011, 09:15 PM
Congrats on your purchase. Post pics. I have a 93 prostar with a carb, i.e not fuel injected.

Your 92 is most likely a carb since they first started EFI in 93 as an option. The silver button on the throttle is a safety lockout that when pulled out, it can not go into gear. Maybe that is what you meant. You use this feature to control the throttle like an old car that you had to pump the gas before and/or during starting. Just make sure the pin is pulled out. You probably have another safety feature on the throttle lever that you need to pull up to shift from neutral.
It also has a neutral safety switch such that it needs to be in neutral to start. Also check that the safety lanyard is installed fully on the safety switch or it will not start.

Do not put it in gear unless you are in the water otherwise the shaft strut will make a lot of screaming noise because it is not lubricated with water.

You should list where you are and find someone on here nearby or someone else that is familar with inboards to help you out at first. no offense, but if you do not know what the safety pin does, be careful. and enjoy it.

Hooligan80
02-25-2011, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I have put a few pics on my profile, taken from my wife's blackberrry so they're not the best. It's the carbureted 351W. Where is this nuetral safety switch? There is a little black "thing" that you can lift up on right near the ball on the top of the throttel, I am assuming that you pull up on that and then push it into gear...When I was looking at the boat to buy it, he started it and let it run for me so I could hear it. There was no water running to it. On all the vids I can find online there is usually water coming out the exhaust and a water hose is running to somewhere in the engine compartment. I know on I/O you have to put the muffs on and attch a hose to run it on land, what is the deal with starting these inboard Mastercrafts iin the driveway? Thanks again for the help guys. BTW, I am in Tulsa, OK...I will try to update all my info today

Hooligan80
02-25-2011, 09:08 AM
Oh, and how do I join? I thought I had but it says "Guest" next to my name...

03geetee
02-25-2011, 09:21 AM
How long did he run it out of water and did he rev it? Consider replacing your impellar right away as it may have gotten hot and broken some of the fins off. I wont explain what it is until I find out how long he ran it out of water with out the hose as it may not be necessary. I have started my boat on land prior to launching it for a brief few seconds just to make sure it fires but I never let it run for more then 5-10secs.

JTR

JohnE
02-25-2011, 09:24 AM
Oh, and how do I join? I thought I had but it says "Guest" next to my name...

Email Phil.Walker@mastercraft.com and ask him to change your status from guest to member. There is glitch when you register that sometimes makes you a guest.

If the boat was run for more than a few seconds without water then change the impeller. Running it dry leaves a good chance of the rubber breaking up and then getting into the engine.

Do a search and you'll find plenty of info for whatever questions you have.

Hooligan80
02-25-2011, 09:34 AM
He started it up and let it run for about 30-45 seconds. I told him to go ahead and turn it off. I asked him if you were supposed to hook up a hose somewhere when starting it on land he shrugged his shoulders and said he never had before...how do I check to make sure everything is still ok? And where do I run the water to if I start it myself?

ttu
02-25-2011, 09:45 AM
hooligan, i am also in tulsa. send me a pm. maybe i can help you.

03geetee
02-25-2011, 09:47 AM
He started it up and let it run for about 30-45 seconds. I told him to go ahead and turn it off. I asked him if you were supposed to hook up a hose somewhere when starting it on land he shrugged his shoulders and said he never had before...how do I check to make sure everything is still ok? And where do I run the water to if I start it myself?

Ok lets start from the begining. Your going to want to type in your year boat and raw water pump impellar in the search function on this site. That will get you at least an idea of what it is and what it does. This pump is what draws water from the bottom of the boat into the motor and keeps it cool. Inside the pump which will be belt driven right near the front of your engine there is an impellar which is made of rubber and lubricated/cooled by the water flow from the lake/hose depending where you are. Because you were on land and no water was going inside the system your rubber impellar most likely will need to be changed. It is very simple and cheap to do and it is why most do it every season as spring maintenance.

Do a search and it will get you in the right direction and never ever buy an inboard boat from someone in the future that says he never has hooked water up to a boat running on dry land ever not a good idea.

JTR

Hooligan80
02-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Ok, thanks. I will researh it and will change it out regardless, better safe than sorry.

ttu
02-25-2011, 10:07 AM
got your pm, since your a "guest" it won't allow me to reply. send me a email to [email]

03geetee
02-25-2011, 10:08 AM
That's a good start, if its mangled beyond recognition then that should tell you a pretty good idea of how the boat was maintained and prompt you to look over the other basics, oil, plugs, hoses ect. Cheap stuff now saves big money later.

Congrats on the purchase!

JTR

Hooligan80
02-25-2011, 10:30 AM
Where can I order one online? The nearest Mastercraft dealer to me is over an hour away and does not appear to be a dedicated Mastercraft shop, looks to be more about Sea Doos and and the like.. I'd like to get it ordered asap sio I can get this bad boy on the water soon, I have the lake fever bad, too many years of sittinig on the shore with the kiddos and watching guys launch their boats with envy, haha

ttu
02-25-2011, 10:34 AM
dick lanes does very good work on mc's. i also have a local mechanic you can call who has many years working on inboards.

1redTA
02-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Google skidim to order parts and welcome to TealTalk

TNPIG
02-25-2011, 11:51 AM
Try this link for impeller. I'm guessing you would need the PCM Ford 351 all models 70 and up, but I'm new to all this myself. http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1096

Anyone have step by step process to changing the impeller, or is there a thread somewhere already dedicated to this? I just got a 1984 S&S and the owner said he changed it last year, but I think it would be good to get familiar with changing them since it sounds fairly simple and could do alot of damage if it goes bad. From reading, it looks like they're alot easier to change on the direct drive as opposed to the V Drive.

FrankSchwab
02-25-2011, 12:07 PM
You can order from skidim (http://skidim.com/), Overtons (http://www.overtons.com/), Barts Water sports (http://www.bartswatersports.com/index.asp), West Marine (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_11151_10001_45858_-1?cid=chanintel_google&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=45858) or just about anyone who stocks marine parts. It's likely a Johnson 812 impeller, which is very common. Any local marine supply (including places like Cabelas/Bass Pro/Malibu dealers, etc) are likely to have it.

If the PO ran the boat out of water for too long, you may want to have a mechanic check the exhaust hoses also. They are large-diameter rubber hoses that connect to the exhaust manifold - they are also water cooled. If the engine exhaust gets too hot, the hoses will be damaged. In general, they can be tested just by squeezing them, but you may want a professional to do the evaluation of the squeeze the first time.

I agree with the others - it's time for an oil and filter change, probably a transmission fluid change. If either of these look milky, you have a water leak that needs to get fixed. Come on back, and there'll be plenty of help for that.

Look at the belts in the engine compartment, see if any need replacing. I'm not a big fan of changing plugs all the time, but it certainly wouldn't hurt. Lube the rudder, the starter bendix, all the spots noted in the owners manual (available here (http://www.mastercraft.com/knowledge/owners_manuals/) ).

Repack the trailer bearings. Check the trailer tires - if they look badly cracked, get them replaced. Check the lights on the trailer. You don't want to end up stuck alongside the road on your first trip.

Make sure the boat has the required safety equipment (http://powerboat.about.com/od/safetyandeducation/ss/BoatRulesBySize.htm). You don't want to leave the lake your first time with a ticket.

If you can find someone with Inboard experience, drag them along with you.

/frank

Hooligan80
02-25-2011, 12:45 PM
I have met a local guy on here that has offered to meet up and look at my boat this weekend so that is awesome. The hose that run from the manifold out to the exhaust are duct taped which is a no-go for me, definitely gonna have it looked at before I hit the water to adress issues, thanks again guys for all the advice, it's greatly appreciated

Double D
02-25-2011, 12:50 PM
I have met a local guy on here that has offered to meet up and look at my boat this weekend so that is awesome. The hose that run from the manifold out to the exhaust are duct taped which is a no-go for me, definitely gonna have it looked at before I hit the water to adress issues, thanks again guys for all the advice, it's greatly appreciated

Didn't see any pictures in your profile. Lets see that boat!

ttu
02-25-2011, 12:51 PM
i have a extra skidim catalog you can have when we meet. it will help you order parts.

SKADMAN
02-25-2011, 01:08 PM
Nice looking out ttu!

Hey Hooligan, you should buy this guy dinner at least.

Just one more reason this family is the best!

Congrats on the new to you boat and enjoy.

Hooligan80
02-25-2011, 01:22 PM
The pics are up now, they must have gotten erased when my account got reset earlier today. They aren't the best, but I will take some better one this weekend and post them...

eurosysytem0
02-26-2011, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I have put a few pics on my profile, taken from my wife's blackberrry so they're not the best. It's the carbureted 351W. Where is this nuetral safety switch? There is a little black "thing" that you can lift up on right near the ball on the top of the throttel, I am assuming that you pull up on that and then push it into gear...When I was looking at the boat to buy it, he started it and let it run for me so I could hear it. There was no water running to it. On all the vids I can find online there is usually water coming out the exhaust and a water hose is running to somewhere in the engine compartment. I know on I/O you have to put the muffs on and attch a hose to run it on land, what is the deal with starting these inboard Mastercrafts iin the driveway? Thanks again for the help guys. BTW, I am in Tulsa, OK...I will try to update all my info today
Little lever under knob allows you to move throttle lever forward and aft by raising key over a knotch on leaver housing. Beneath throttle lever is a 1/2 silver button. Pulling it out seperates throttle lever from gear shift and allows you to move throttle forward and after "without" boat going into gear. ie you can rev withoput engaging transmission. Neutral is when throttle lever is in 12 o'colck position- with or without silver button in or out but with button in as soon as you shift thotle forward or rear transmission will engage.

All of above assumes that throttle and gear gables are bothe set up correctly.

Enjoy!!!