PDA

View Full Version : Mastercraft Prostar 209 Questions?

Lakeside09
02-24-2011, 02:37 PM
Can you all tell me about the Prostar 209... any info... likes, dislikes... How is the wakeboard wake? What differences will I see in a 197 and a 209 wake wise. I am looking at a 2003 model. Any issues to look for? Thanks for any help.

CruisinGA
02-24-2011, 02:44 PM
We have an '02 X9 (same boat but with tower and ballast)
We mostly wakeboard and slalom behind it, and I barefoot. The wakeboard wake with no weight is great for beginners, and with a few folks and full ballast my buddies and I (none of whom are particularly skilled) throw more basic tricks, tantrums, back rolls, scare crows and 360's. I replaced the stock rear ballast with a 750# bag that I only fill all the way when there is just a couple people on the boat.
The ski wake is not as good as the 197, a little weight up front in the bow goes a long way towards softening the edges. For our recreational skiing it is more than acceptable and better than just about anything out there aside from a smaller inboard dedicated ski boat.

All in all, we really like ours. I honestly prefer havingthe engine hump as it spreads out the crowd vs everyone sitting on top of each other in a small cockpit.

jason95gt
02-24-2011, 03:27 PM
The 209 was not their best SKI boat compared to a 197 or the 209's replacement(214). It is a good all around boat but doesn't do anything great. Coming from a 197, if that is what you have, you are not going to like the ski wake, but you will get a better wakeboarding wake.

Lakeside09
02-24-2011, 05:50 PM
I am not a skier... so that is not an issue for me...

willyt
02-24-2011, 06:16 PM
If your not a skier I would look at the 205v models. Its generally considered that these have a better wakeboard wake, but I might be partial... Ha

2RLAKE
02-24-2011, 06:55 PM
i had an '02 197 and '05 X9 .... loed them both but they are very different. The X9 gave us (two kids) much more room and we could easily have friends/family on the boat. As others have said its not a great slalom boat, but hands down better than any I/O. I could easily still barefoot behind it and did so all the time. Wakeboarding was much better than the 197 and with people/ballast it had a great wake ... good for surfing as well

we loved the X9, only reason we sold it was there was an X14 built with my name on it ... had t have it

2RLAKE
02-24-2011, 06:56 PM
I know several people with teh X9 and everyone loves the boat ... great all around boat with tons of room. With the '03 (up to '04) you have the old styel tower ... no big deal just watch the racks

Lakeside09
02-24-2011, 07:27 PM
What is wrong with the racks??? Thanks for all the input everyone...

2RLAKE
02-24-2011, 08:20 PM
nothing wrong with the racks, they are just the original style that ratchet close ... my wife bent one pulling into our dock (girls weekend i think there was some drinking involved) and i had a heck of a time fixing it

nothing wrong with them

EarlyriserX9
02-25-2011, 01:05 PM
We've had our 03' X9 for a couple years now and couldn't be happier. We wakeboard, barefoot ski, surf, and party. Plenty of room for you and 7 or 8 friends. Plus there are some really great prices on this boat. There are 2 other X9's in our group as well. We are all very happy.

Age Fighter
02-25-2011, 01:44 PM
i had an '02 197 and '05 X9 .... loed them both but they are very different. The X9 gave us (two kids) much more room and we could easily have friends/family on the boat. As others have said its not a great slalom boat, but hands down better than any I/O. I could easily still barefoot behind it and did so all the time. Wakeboarding was much better than the 197 and with people/ballast it had a great wake ... good for surfing as well

we loved the X9, only reason we sold it was there was an X14 built with my name on it ... had t have it

That is almost exactly my story too.....except for the 197 part. And exactly my opinion. The person who bought my X-9 (same hull 209) loves it and does wakesurf among his activities.

2RLAKE
02-25-2011, 06:04 PM
I sold my X9 to a guy in Atlanta ... i still talk to them about once a year or so ... they love it

Hoosier Bob
02-25-2011, 08:23 PM
One of the guys we rotate with has an X9 and Mag had a 209. I have ski'd both. This being said at 34-36 the slalom wake is fine. As far as all around boats I would put it up there, way up there. Both of the boats I ski'd were LTR's and I would have rather had more power. The boat is extreme comfort and room for a smallish boat. Wide, roomy and awesome all around in my opinion. It was/is AWSA 3 event certified. This means it is capable and MC wrote a check. The 209/X9 is a bad *** boat that will exceed most people's capabillities hands down. For wakeboarding most want a ten foot wake but watch Parks behind an outboard get 10' of air? I am only saying if you are an average Joe this boat will last you a lifetime no matter how good you get.:D

Footin
02-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Well said HB. If I could sell my 205 I would be lookin for a 209/X9.

2RLAKE
02-26-2011, 08:17 AM
I've footed behind a X9 with the LQ9 ... now that was sweet

epnault
02-26-2011, 11:10 AM
We entered into the boat market last winter with a 209 with a MC factory tower. We are a young family and have lots of kids in our extended family. It has a ton of room and I like the layout for the point in out life. We spend a lot of time teaching young kids to ski/wakeboard in the family and you can load this thing up and cruise with a lot of people. I am a slalom skier, I would say intermediate, and the wake is fine for me. The boat is better than me. The main reason I wanted a MC was so I could do deep water starts (I am 6'1 235) and this thing rips me out of the water. We are also learning to wakeboard but I think we will need a ballast system eventually. Unless you are an expert skier or wakeboarder you will love the boat.