PDA

View Full Version : amp rack/thickness of fiber glass 2002 xstar

Smoothie
02-24-2011, 12:01 PM
Hey guys I have an 2002 Xstar I need to build and amp rack and need to attach under the passenger seat on the outside wall. There are already two amps on the inside wall of the storage area. I do not want to screw through the wall. How thick is the fiber glass in there.

kdr
02-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Don't screw into the hull!!!!!!

Make a mounting board or something, but for the love of God, do not put screws into the outer hull.

brucemac
02-24-2011, 01:47 PM
+1 don't do it. also make sure the vent hose is sealed well so you don't drip under heavy rain.

willyt
02-24-2011, 01:49 PM
I have the same issue for my 05 X2...

Threadjack! (kinda)

I was thinking of glassing in (with at least a few layers) a sheet of 1/2 HDPE material so i can mount my amps/battery switch to, then carpet back over it. Any feedback on this idea?

scott023
02-24-2011, 01:51 PM
Agree completely with the first couple posts... DO NOT drill into the hill of the boat.

JLeuck64
02-24-2011, 02:13 PM
I have the same issue for my 05 X2...

Threadjack! (kinda)

I was thinking of glassing in (with at least a few layers) a sheet of 1/2 HDPE material so i can mount my amps/battery switch to, then carpet back over it. Any feedback on this idea?

That's the way I would do it if I had to mount something to the inside of the outer hull. Boat manufacturers use the same trick too. Just glass in a block of wood that is thicker than the screw you will use to hold down the component. Then the screw will never touch the hull. It will take much more time to Fab this up of course but will be the correct way...

Smoothie
02-24-2011, 02:20 PM
ok where do you get glass to glass in wood blocks or is there some sort of resin that will adhere to the fiberglass I can get at lowes or Home depot just to put in a few blocks of wood?

BigBarney
02-24-2011, 02:36 PM
He's not speaking about the hull wall.

I know exactly what you're talking about. My '03 has the amps screwed into the inner wall under the seat. A portion of that wall has been thicken especially for the amps so that the screws do not go through the walkway wall. The rest is "regular" thickness.

When I replaced the amps, I needed more than that padded portion. I drilled from the walkway side with a small drill bit on slow speed to get a hole through. Enlarged the hole for my bolts to fit. Bought some nice shiny bolts and secured my amp supports.

The BIG deal is the wall thickness. If you take the amps off the wall, you will see it is not the same thickness all the way across. Just don't get in a hurry and look things over. You'll be fine.

But if you were even thinking about drilling into the HULL wall, slap yourself now!!!!!!!!!

MIskier
02-24-2011, 03:38 PM
If you can avoid mounting anything from a backing board that is attached to the hull it is a good idea. The amps brackets will pick up every vibration that the hull experiences.

You could glass in another backing plate on the walk way side of the port console that way you do not have to drill through and have exposed bolt heads-bad for resale.

Smoothie
02-24-2011, 03:41 PM
No I meant the hull wall. As you look in behind the passenger seat on the 2002 xstar to the right they have a raised area for amps and what have you thats full with amps and perko. I need to be able to mount something on the opposite side which is the hull. So my question I guess now is. Is there a resin apoxy something that I can mount 4 blocks of wood to the fiberglass portion of the hull?

MIskier
02-24-2011, 03:48 PM
There is resin and fiberglass that is readily available from a home improvement store or from an auto parts place. It is a bad idea doing what you are thinking about though, the amps will experience alot more vibration than what they do attached to the deck like the stock amps. You may also begin to experience what is called a hard spot where you will be able to see where the plate is bonded if you do not offset the plate from the hull side a small amount.

Sodar
02-24-2011, 03:52 PM
Make some blocks and fiberglass them to the hull.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_m3bPnaMHpYM/S6A-QGOlWkI/AAAAAAAAD1g/TZZXOqybAnk/s800/DSC02779.JPG

Make a backer board to mount to the blocks.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_m3bPnaMHpYM/S6A9SY_ZBmI/AAAAAAAAD0s/ruNEArBQ12Q/s800/DSC02811.JPG

Install the board.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_m3bPnaMHpYM/S6A59zfruVI/AAAAAAAADxc/hTWQMlmXC8s/s800/DSC03125.JPG

MIskier
02-24-2011, 03:56 PM
Very good solution there, no risk of hard spots since there is no weight being hung from the hull side.

Smoothie
02-24-2011, 04:02 PM
Sodar man you help all the time from ballast to props thanks thats prefect.

cbryan70
02-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Sodar man you help all the time from ballast to props thanks thats prefect.

Now make sure your wiring looks as good as his when its complete..

Sodar where are the no step stickers? :D

Smoothie
02-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Sodar where do you get the fiberglass from to do this???