PDA

View Full Version : Fuel consumption amongst the models

rocket71
02-24-2011, 09:00 AM
I have been thinking of possibly selling my X-2 for several reasons. Age is one and a late season torn ligament in my ankle which required surgery is another. However, I will never be without a Mastercraft to enjoy some wakeboarding and wakeskating on the weekends. This brings me to my question.

When I went from my X-9 to the X-2 I noticed a huge increase in fuel consumption. I would think there are a lot of reasons why, ie ballast, prop, hull etc. After running the X-2 for a good half a season I realized, there is just nothing better than a V-drive and I will never need all the wake an X-2 can put out.

So is there a more fuel efficient model by Mastercraft out there in a V-drive or is the X-2 the best I can hope for?

blakehardesty
02-24-2011, 09:18 AM
I would guess the x-14v would be a little better. Not enough to make sense of the trade tho.

CottagerGreg
02-24-2011, 10:50 AM
I would guess the x-14v would be a little better. Not enough to make sense of the trade tho.

That would be my bet... fuel consumption should be a "topic" of discuss since it's all relative to how much weight in the boat, size of boat and load on the motor.

vision
02-24-2011, 11:03 AM
In addition, there seems to be a huge difference in the reported GPH (by members of this forum) between the different Indmar motors. The 6.0 engine has seemingly some of the highest GPH versus torque numbers. But again, this is not well controlled data.

ShawnB
02-24-2011, 11:27 AM
In the name of scientific data collection, I volunteer to take each of your boats for a week so I can do a thorough analysis.

I'll start with whoever has an X80 in the Miami area. Anyone? :D

scott023
02-24-2011, 11:39 AM
I can tell you that your motor size will most certainly make a difference. My 45 with the L18 uses FAR less fuel than my buddies similarly loaded 45 with the LY6. Do you have the MCX in your X2?

Willytown
02-24-2011, 12:38 PM
I think this is going to be a popular topic this summer. I started a thread a few weeks ago with little response. Any thoughts on the fuel consumption in the 5.7 mcx vs. the indmar 6.0 and the new illmor 5.7?

Lars
02-24-2011, 01:13 PM
Going off of that, when they review boats in magazines they give the fuel consumption at various speeds. What speed is most fuel efficient for mastercraft?

scott023
02-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Going off of that, when they review boats in magazines they give the fuel consumption at various speeds. What speed is most fuel efficient for mastercraft?

That will totally depend on the model of boat and which motor it has in it.

vision
02-24-2011, 01:22 PM

In general, greatest fuel efficiency is achieved at the lowest speed that gets the boat on plane.

vision
02-24-2011, 01:25 PM
I can tell you that your motor size will most certainly make a difference. My 45 with the L18 uses FAR less fuel than my buddies similarly loaded 45 with the LY6. Do you have the MCX in your X2?

That seems to be the trend.

My little MCX burns around 5 GPH in an unloaded X-star (pickle fork) and around 6 GPH when moderately (2000 lbs) weighted.

Anyone ever calculate GPH for an unweighted modern X-star with a 6.0 or 8.1?

j4rowell
02-24-2011, 01:41 PM
I find that when it's on the trailer I get the best MPG.

Ole Miss Rebels
02-24-2011, 02:48 PM
o8 xstar with L18 and 14.75 X 15.5 prop. stock ballast and six people = 9 gph premium E10 fuel.

MIskier
02-24-2011, 03:40 PM
The best cruising speeds for most of these boats is in the 22-24 mph range, this is assuming stock prop and unballasted of course

Forrest-X45
02-24-2011, 03:50 PM

Scott - How much of a difference do you see in fuel consumption? I know my LY6 uses a lot fuel but I would have never imagined it would use more than an L18. The LY6 has to work harder to move the 45 but to use more fuel than the big ol' thusty big block surprises me........
I am also using my experience with the 6.0L and 8.1L truck engines and the fuel economy they achieved running empty and loaded down. The 8.1 truck engine always got worse mileage; more displacement=more fuel used.

scott023
02-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Scott - How much of a difference do you see in fuel consumption? I know my LY6 uses a lot fuel but I would have never imagined it would use more than an L18. The LY6 has to work harder to move the 45 but to use more fuel than the big ol' thusty big block surprises me........
I am also using my experience with the 6.0L and 8.1L truck engines and the fuel economy they achieved running empty and loaded down. The 8.1 truck engine always got worse mileage; more displacement=more fuel used.

I have averaged 7-8gph loaded with the L18, the LY6 has averaged over 9gh loaded.

Forrest-X45
02-24-2011, 04:21 PM
That's great fuel consumption for the L18. I would have never guessed it was that good. I am usually over 10 gph and more in the 12 gph range. You don't want to know what gph is when we have been barefooting for a while. ;)
Sounds like I need to swap in a L18 so I can save at the pump. :D Spend money to save money.....

rocket71
02-24-2011, 09:45 PM
I called OJ prop and re-propped my boat right after I got it to get the best pulling power. It didn't take long and I made another call and got a more efficient prop. It uses significantly less fuel now but I really can't run full stock and fly high ballast with it. I plan on tracking every drop of fuel that goes in this season to see just how much it uses.

BTV
02-24-2011, 11:11 PM
I called OJ prop and re-propped my boat right after I got it to get the best pulling power. It didn't take long and I made another call and got a more efficient prop. It uses significantly less fuel now but I really can't run full stock and fly high ballast with it. I plan on tracking every drop of fuel that goes in this season to see just how much it uses.

What boat, engine, prop, gph with each prop, speed, altitude, etc?

My 2007 X2 with MCX gets better gph with power prop but I don't ever go faster than 23 mph.

mccobmd
02-24-2011, 11:31 PM

That's why I decided not to reprop. We aren't fully weighted often and the engine/transmission/prop combo from the factory is designed to give the best performance over the broadest range. It also helps that with my skill set (meager at best) that I don't need a lot bigger wake than my X1 throws empty. I have the RTP and with the small hull get about 4-4.5 gph wakeboarding at 22mph and skiing at 30mph. Goes to 5-5.5 gph surfing with 1200 extra lbs. The stock prop is a plenty fast getting out of the hole for surfing.

Northcountry
02-25-2011, 12:49 AM
Is it true you can damage your engine if you always run weighted down and dont use a proper prop? (eg just surf on a standard prop)

Reason I ask is a staff person at an unnamed dealer (other boat company that starts with M) told me if I just surf weighted down and dont reprop that the engine wount burn all the gas in the cylinders and will eventually burn the rings out.
I dont mean to thread jack just a question that poped up while reading this post.

06' X-2 R8R H8R
02-25-2011, 01:45 AM
I would like to think that this is kind of a redundent topic...Like buying a Lambo and worrying about the insurance on the thing. You buy the best boat money can buy and if fuel prices are the problem...then have your friends pay at the pump cuss the boat is paid for... and ENJOY

FourFourty
02-25-2011, 09:35 AM
Is it true you can damage your engine if you always run weighted down and dont use a proper prop? (eg just surf on a standard prop)

Reason I ask is a staff person at an unnamed dealer (other boat company that starts with M) told me if I just surf weighted down and dont reprop that the engine wount burn all the gas in the cylinders and will eventually burn the rings out.
I dont mean to thread jack just a question that poped up while reading this post.

He is either saying that because he has a serious overstock on torque props........... or, he doesnt know his bum from a hole in the ground when it comes to engines.

scott023
02-25-2011, 09:53 AM
He is either saying that because he has a serious overstock on torque props........... or, he doesnt know his bum from a hole in the ground when it comes to engines.

Beat me to it. The guy is FOS.

GT500 MC
02-25-2011, 11:10 AM
I would like to think that this is kind of a redundent topic...Like buying a Lambo and worrying about the insurance on the thing. You buy the best boat money can buy and if fuel prices are the problem...then have your friends pay at the pump cuss the boat is paid for... and ENJOY

That's exactly it. Have your friends or br/in-laws fill up the tank and you end up not even tracking your fuel consumption. Funny how a pull or two around the lake opens up everyone's wallet.

TallRedRider
02-25-2011, 12:38 PM
I get about 12 GPH with my X45 loaded pretty heavily with the 8.1. But that is with 2500 pounds and 2-3 people in the boat. Elevation 2800 feet. That is also riding at 25 MPH.

Considering fuel economy in a 50K + boat is nonsense to me, as was said above.

Lars
02-25-2011, 01:20 PM

I think I recall just the opposite where people had repropped for surfing and were only getting 2000 RPMS at WOT and had something big break on their big blocks...

mccobmd
02-26-2011, 01:27 PM
I get about 12 GPH with my X45 loaded pretty heavily with the 8.1. But that is with 2500 pounds and 2-3 people in the boat. Elevation 2800 feet. That is also riding at 25 MPH.

Considering fuel economy in a 50K + boat is nonsense to me, as was said above.

If you have a 50K boat yes, but my guess would be there are 2 owners with boats less than 20k for every owner with a 50K boat on the site. But knowing all of us we'll find something else to cut before the gas in the boat.

WakePowell
02-27-2011, 09:02 AM

I've owned X45's with both motors and agree that the L18 is more economical. I wish I would have NOT listened to the dealer when I bought my latest X45 with the 6.0 motor. I would guess it consumes 25% more fuel and is on its second starter and 3rd set of exhaust manifolds.

davidstan
06-21-2011, 10:20 AM
i was probably getting 3 to 4 gph from my 3000 lb Maristar but now with the 3500 lb x2 seems to be approx 6 gph. Is this what others are getting with even mixture of slalom/wake/surf and cruising ave of 3 ppl in boat and rarely fill ballasts?

FourFourty
06-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Now that I have about 32hrs on my boat, I can comment on this-

'11 X25 W/6.2l Ilmore. I have put 31hrs on it and when I topped it off the other day, I had added 141 gallons total since I got it. (It came full of fuel). Thats an average of 4.5gph, however, some of that is just cruising around (trolling around looking at camps and such). I had a chance to check it on a day that I was just towing with the stock ballast tanks full for most of the day. I averaged about 7-7.5 gph.

osuwaterboy
06-21-2011, 12:00 PM
2010 X-25 6.0 LY6 - I averaged 7 gph this weekend with a mixture of cruising at ~28mph with 7 people and surfing with about 2800 lbs in the boat.

BTV
11-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Any updates on a ilmor 6.0? Looking for gph in a x25 if anyone has the numbers. Thanks

FourFourty
11-25-2011, 01:58 PM
Any updates on a ilmor 6.0? Looking for gph in a x25 if anyone has the numbers. Thanks

For what it is worth- I had a chance to do an equal amount of running against an X25 w an ilmore 6.0. We spent the day on lake george NY running around for a poker run, and then a 22 mile round trip to the north end of the lake and back. (Following each other around)

My X25 w/6.2 Ilmore and 6 people onboard took 27 gallons to fill at the end of the day.

The other X25 w/6.0 Ilmore and 3 people took 34 gallons.

It was about 5hrs worth of run time, with the 6.0 using about 1.5 gallons per hour more than the 6.2l.

Being as the 6.2l is a Gen IV SBC, I am not really surprised by this. The Gen IV engines get better fuel economy than the Gen II or Gen IIIs. However, at 50hrs per year, you would have to own the boat for about 10 years to offset the upcharge to a 6.2l.

Based off of that data, and what I know about the fuel consumption for my boat, you would be using about 8gph wakeboarding with factory ballast, and upwards of 10gph surfing with 600 lbs additional ballast...... Probably 6 GPH cruising around.

mikeg205
11-25-2011, 02:39 PM
Uh... if you can afford an x25 with a new motor does fuel consumption really matter??? The price of fun is priceless... love the x's hope to have one to park next to my PS one day....:rolleyes:

vision
11-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Uh... if you can afford an x25 with a new motor does fuel consumption really matter??? The price of fun is priceless... love the x's hope to have one to park next to my PS one day....:rolleyes:

Yes.

Not too mention that better fuel economy is better for the environment.

BTV
11-25-2011, 05:23 PM
Well when you put 200 plus hours a year on it does add up. More a matter of why burn the gas if you don't need to. No matter what my financial situation, I will never feel comfortable wasting money. Also I haul ethanol free gas to the lake house, so the less carrying the better.

mikeg205
11-25-2011, 09:16 PM
Well when you put 200 plus hours a year on it does add up. More a matter of why burn the gas if you don't need to. No matter what my financial situation, I will never feel comfortable wasting money. Also I haul ethanol free gas to the lake house, so the less carrying the better.

okee dokee...:rolleyes: