PDA

View Full Version : replacement cabin speakers?????

jdeml
02-23-2011, 11:36 PM
well all my cabin speakers are shot, soooo looking for yalls opinion on best all around speaker that holds up 1st, sounds good second and affordable third. Or maybe someone has a few old 6.5s laying around after they upgraded??? give me your thoughts.

east tx skier
02-23-2011, 11:54 PM
Polk DB651. Marine rated, sound very good, and very inexpensive. Roughly $45 per pair on eBay typically.

jdeml
02-24-2011, 12:27 AM
thanks, ya price is a huge issue as i have 6 to replace

EarmarkMarine
02-24-2011, 09:26 AM
The Polk dB series is a good sounding speaker and doesn't have alot of competition under$100 per pair. There is a big difference once you get into speakers in the next class from JL Audio, Polk MM UM series and WetSounds to name a few. The most important benefit is the absence of the post-mounted tweeters. These speakers will all have bridge/grill mounted tweeters resulting in a continuous midbass cone which results in more surface area for the same size of speaker. You'll definitely hear a difference in the quality of the midbass exactly as you do in separate components because the construction is essentially the same.
Many boaters only emphasize the tower speakers and subwoofer, overlooking the in-boat speakers. I believe that the most important audio element is the in-boat speakers that are listened to in close proximity and cover 8 of the 10 audible octaves. In fact, 50 percent of all musical fundamentals occur between 200 and 600 Hz which is the sole domain of the 6.5 or 7.7-inch midbass cone. This is where the most contrast and diversity is found. Yet many speakers are all about the highs and do a really poor job in this most critical area. Will you hear the difference in a boat? Absolutely! My recommendation is to put the value of the in-boat coaxials or components as top priority. If you are going to splurge anywhere, this is the place to do it.

David
Earmark Marine

jdeml
02-24-2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the info. im thinking of JL just because I used to install them at a car audio place back in the day and have always been partial to them. May go the Wetsounds for tower later. Just thought id ask to see what holds up well in the marine enviroment. thanks again fellas.