PDA

View Full Version : Suggest Front Speaker Locations

Double D
02-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Now that I have new back speakers and tower speakers, I feel I need to get some sound up front. I have a 1994 MC PS205 and below are the pictures of the open bow. Where would YOU put two speakers??

Thanks for the input...

Footin
02-23-2011, 07:54 PM
I have the same boat and mine are kinda like this:

east tx skier
02-23-2011, 08:11 PM
That'd be my vote for the easiest place to put them. But if you're brave, you'll put them in the seats and cut up that pretty vinyl! :) I think it would sound better. But I wouldn't DIY it if it were my boat.

Yellow X9
02-23-2011, 08:24 PM
That'd be my vote for the easiest place to put them. But if you're brave, you'll put them in the seats and cut up that pretty vinyl! :) I think it would sound better. But I wouldn't DIY it if it were my boat.

+2 on the seats, mine are there on my 05 X9-and sound great

mattdda
02-23-2011, 08:41 PM
Seats for sure. Folks up front will hear the sound waay better while under way. I know it's harder to do...but will be better.

shocker47
02-23-2011, 08:58 PM
In my 93 Prostar 205 mine are mounted in between the walk way.

josepcedwards
02-23-2011, 09:39 PM
Play it safe!

Double D
02-23-2011, 10:13 PM
Thanks guys! Pictures of yours would be helpful if you have it...

shocker47
02-23-2011, 10:22 PM
Ill upload a few soon.

etduc
02-24-2011, 09:49 AM

Ditto. Mine are in the walkway, also.

chevy08bud
02-24-2011, 10:34 AM
Mine are where Footin's are.

GT500 MC
02-24-2011, 10:49 AM
Have them professionally done in the seats, along with an extra sub down low.

Double D
02-24-2011, 10:56 AM

Mine are where Footin's are.

Footin/Chevy08Bud, How is the sound with the speakers in this location?

I would hate to cut into the vinyl and I am not sure what space I have behind the seats.

Ditto. Mine are in the walkway, also.

shocker47/etduc, How is the sound with them in the walkway? Any noise cancellation going on since they are facing each other?

Thanks guys!!

east tx skier
02-24-2011, 11:24 AM
You could build little fiberglass pods and spray them with gel coat, then mount them low and angled slightly up and toward the rear. Keep in mind that anything in the bow of an old 205 is bound to get wet, if not drenched, at some point.

chevy08bud
02-24-2011, 11:38 AM

I would hate to cut into the vinyl and I am not sure what space I have behind the seats.

shocker47/etduc, How is the sound with them in the walkway? Any noise cancellation going on since they are facing each other?

Thanks guys!!

Unfortunately, when I bought my boat, the speakers up there were blown. I've got along just fine without them for the past few years, but am looking to replace them this spring. I can't really speak to how it sounds up there, but I'm thinking it would sound better than nothing.

Double D
02-24-2011, 11:46 AM
You could build little fiberglass pods and spray them with gel coat, then mount them low and angled slightly up and toward the rear. Keep in mind that anything in the bow of an old 205 is bound to get wet, if not drenched, at some point.

Eastie, why do you say that?? Submarining?? Only happened to me once.... knock on wood.

dmminfla
02-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Eastie, why do you say that?? Submarining?? Only happened to me once.... knock on wood.
It happens. I have taken a few over the bow on the 97 205 when the boat is loaded.

east tx skier
02-24-2011, 12:26 PM

Yeah, the drenched is for the getting caught unaware and nose diving the bow. Only happened to me once, too. Hit enough chop in that era of 205 and you will get a lot of spray in the bow.

etduc
02-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Thanks guys!!

By noise, I guess you mean, left/right separation. Is none, would also be the case, in a forward locations.(Speakers need to be further apart.) As far as sound waves cancelling out each other, facing each other. Not a big factor for 6.5 speakers, in open air situations. Would be a problem with Subwoofers facing each other.

I installed some Polk 651UM speakers this summer, using a Clarion head unit for power. Amazing difference, even when using modest power. My music selections is all over the board. (Blues, rock, jazz, accoustal, a little "old school Mikey" etc.)

Can't wait to hear them, with a 5 channel amp and mini sub.

Double D
02-24-2011, 01:21 PM

So "IF" I decide to locate them here, is that fiberglass I would be cutting into, plastic, or a gel coat resin??

Double D
02-24-2011, 01:26 PM
It happens. I have taken a few over the bow on the 97 205 when the boat is loaded.

Yeah, the drenched is for the getting caught unaware and nose diving the bow. Only happened to me once, too. Hit enough chop in that era of 205 and you will get a lot of spray in the bow.

Shame shame... :D We are all quality drivers here and should always be aware. I always power through them, nose up, or turn the boat with the wave. However, I may not be dealing with as big of waves in my inland lake as you do eastie, everything is bigger in Texas, right?? ;)

etduc
02-24-2011, 02:50 PM
So "IF" I decide to locate them here, is that fiberglass I would be cutting into, plastic, or a gel coat resin??

Gel-coat resin. What kind of speakers are you planning on using? You may have a problem, if you plan on using some mega-magnet-deep cone 6.5 speaker. Not much distance between, mounting location and hull, at this location.

You know, you could just install headphone jacks up there, and give people earbuds. :D

Double D
02-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Gel-coat resin. What kind of speakers are you planning on using? You may have a problem, if you plan on using some mega-magnet-deep cone 6.5 speaker. Not much distance between, mounting location and hull, at this location.

You know, you could just install headphone jacks up there, and give people earbuds. :D

I was thinking of the Polk DB6501's to match every other speaker in my boat. Since these are cargo spots I think there is enough room in depth as long as I don't put them too close to the floor. I guess I could consider the Polk DB401 - 4" model up there so they fit better. :huh:

So what would I use to to cut into the Gelcoat without screwing it up??

jkski
02-24-2011, 03:18 PM
Another option for you would be to buy a second pair of tower speakers that have a forward facing speaker as well as a rear facing in the same can. I had a set of these on my 05 PS197 because I did not want to cut into the vinyl , and they worked great.

east tx skier
02-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Shame shame... :D We are all quality drivers here and should always be aware. I always power through them, nose up, or turn the boat with the wave. However, I may not be dealing with as big of waves in my inland lake as you do eastie, everything is bigger in Texas, right?? ;)

Sometimes, you end up with a less experienced driver than you or me. :)

east tx skier
02-24-2011, 05:24 PM
I think those bases are molded plastic with a little gel coat sprayed on them. Easy enough to cut. The DB651 shallow speakers are probably fine. I think there are some DB525s as well if you want to go smaller.

Double D
02-24-2011, 05:52 PM
I think those bases are molded plastic with a little gel coat sprayed on them. Easy enough to cut. The DB651 shallow speakers are probably fine. I think there are some DB525s as well if you want to go smaller.

What would you use to cut a 6", 5" or 4" hole??

fentong
02-24-2011, 06:16 PM
I used a variable speed jig saw. I used masking tape to cover the area to be cut and drew my circle on the masking tape. Slow and steady but it worked great. I'd suggest waiting for a hot day and taking your shirt off when you cut the fiberglass, NOT! Make sure you wear coveralls, tape the sleeves closed and wear a mask. That stuff is brutal.

I replaced the 6.5" Clarions in my bow with 6.5 " JL coax and I replaced the 6.5" Clarions in the cabin with JL 7.7" woofers and 1" tweeters. Used the jig saw for the enlargement of the 6.5 to 7.7" and used a bi-metal hole saw for the 1" tweeters.

Good luck.

Double D
02-24-2011, 06:47 PM
I used a variable speed jig saw. I used masking tape to cover the area to be cut and drew my circle on the masking tape. Slow and steady but it worked great. I'd suggest waiting for a hot day and taking your shirt off when you cut the fiberglass, NOT! Make sure you wear coveralls, tape the sleeves closed and wear a mask. That stuff is brutal.

I replaced the 6.5" Clarions in my bow with 6.5 " JL coax and I replaced the 6.5" Clarions in the cabin with JL 7.7" woofers and 1" tweeters. Used the jig saw for the enlargement of the 6.5 to 7.7" and used a bi-metal hole saw for the 1" tweeters.

Good luck.

I was thinking of adding the tweeters too. Where did you mount them? My brothers CC has them on the dash under the windshield. Not sure how I would put a hole there without having to remove windshield, which I DO NOT want to do.

So, whats a good 1" tweeter?

fentong
02-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Hers is a picture of my mount in the cabin area of my boat. It's basically the same height as the intended mounting location in your boat but the speaker direction is somewhat different (and bow versus cabin). The main purpose of these photos is to demonstrate the cutout and the tweeter proximity to the woofer.

bbymgr
02-24-2011, 08:59 PM
What would you use to cut a 6", 5" or 4" hole??

I bought a bit for my Dremel that is made for cutting fiberglass. It cut through it like butter.

etduc
02-25-2011, 09:29 AM
I was thinking of the Polk DB6501's to match every other speaker in my boat. Since these are cargo spots I think there is enough room in depth as long as I don't put them too close to the floor. I guess I could consider the Polk DB401 - 4" model up there so they fit better. :huh:

So what would I use to to cut into the Gelcoat without screwing it up??

DB6501 should work, also consider the shallow mount version. If you go the 4" you may want to consider, adding a bass blocker.

Hole saw bit can be bought, but expensive. Dremel bit is what I would use. You want to wear proper eye-protection, gloves, gel coat dust is very abrasive.

Double D
03-13-2011, 11:03 PM
I opted to go with the 5 1/4" speakers and here are a few shots of where I put them this weekend. Used a Dremel and it worked great.

I also bought 1" tweeters and mounted those on the dash and mounted the amps. Just need to finish it all up with an extra battery and isolator.

More pics to come.

shocker47
03-16-2011, 11:33 PM
looks super nice.

Double D
03-16-2011, 11:36 PM
looks super nice.

Thanks. I also have my Neon's installed in the side compartments. Now I just need to get my isolator delivered, installed, buy a battery and power up the amps!!

I will send pictures when complete.

Then I will work on the LED speaker rings.

shay4au
07-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Hello:
Ran across this thread today because I'm looking to buy a 1994 Maristar, which has no speakers. I really like how you've got yours mounted up front. I was wondering if you had any pictures of your speakers that you put in the back? I'm assuming you mounted them below the rear seat? Thanks! Just looking for advice!!

Double D
07-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Hello:
Ran across this thread today because I'm looking to buy a 1994 Maristar, which has no speakers. I really like how you've got yours mounted up front. I was wondering if you had any pictures of your speakers that you put in the back? I'm assuming you mounted them below the rear seat? Thanks! Just looking for advice!!

Actually no. The speakers in the rear are mounted in the sides. See picture below.

My rear seat is out in this picture.

shay4au
07-25-2011, 09:23 AM
Double D:
Thanks for the picture of the rear speakers. Do you have any advice on cutting into the area with the vinyl upholstery (without damaging that)? I figured you may have cut a slightly smaller hole into the vinyl just to make sure there was enough left to tuck beneath the speaker but I thought I'd run it by you. Just curious how you went about it. Sorry to keep bugging you about it. Thanks!

Double D
07-25-2011, 10:12 AM
Double D:
Thanks for the picture of the rear speakers. Do you have any advice on cutting into the area with the vinyl upholstery (without damaging that)? I figured you may have cut a slightly smaller hole into the vinyl just to make sure there was enough left to tuck beneath the speaker but I thought I'd run it by you. Just curious how you went about it. Sorry to keep bugging you about it. Thanks!

No problem. My boat came with speakers installed but the vinyl was not cut so I had to make the cut. Its possible your sides may have holes already in the wood for speakers so look for those.

If that's the case, find the center and poke a hole in the vinyl, then from the center hole, cut an "X" in the vinyl until you reach the edge of the hole. Then you can either cut the vinyl in the circle or just fold them back in.

If there are no holes in the wood then you could use a similar process to open up the vinyl but I would remove the entire side to make your cut for the speaker hole.

And ALWAYS: Measure TWICE! Cut Once!! :D

agarabaghi
07-25-2011, 10:48 AM
94 prostar 205 front speakers are in the walkway... let me find a pic...

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1945/img0278k.jpg

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/3153/img0277lk.jpg