PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else considering buying a boat lift motor?

SWeaver
02-22-2011, 06:55 PM
I'm looking at Lift Tech boat lift motors or Sidewinders. I can get a discount on LiftTech, but I don't know much about them. Anybody recommend them or have any experience?

Teamtalk's policy doesn't allow group buys, but if you're interested in getting one in the next couple weeks, email me at sweaver76@aol.com and I can probably hook you up a little with some savings when i order mine. I'm not one myself, but I know a dealer. He offered me and any friends a good deal. But, I don't want to buy a piece of crap either, so I'd like to know your impressions if you own one.....

PS-I don't quite get the group buy restriction, so if this is infringing on anything, mods, please delete whatever you need to and I'll repost as necessary.

bturner2
02-22-2011, 08:18 PM
I tried to use their generic friction motor on my Shore Station and sent it back. Didn't fit right and the motor was in mounted right were you would put your hand. I was afraid that I or someone else would get their hand caught in between the driver and the wheel somehow. I ended up getting lucky and found a new Shore Station motor on Ebay for $75 and jumped on it. Been happy ever since.

Don't know anything about their direct drive models but have always wondered how you would get the boat up if the motor or battery failed without a wheel in place.

Jeff Lyman
02-22-2011, 08:50 PM
I have a shore station and love to have it electric. After 5 or 6 sets I'm beet and the kids get lazy, nobody wants to crank it up. I have 110 at the dock that part is easy. I here the friction is not the way to go, so what is? Wheres the cheapest place to purchase the parts?

SWeaver
02-22-2011, 11:56 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of the direct drive system that replaces the wheel. They have an attachment that will run off a cordless drill if the motor fails as a backup. The brand I am looking at is Lift-Tech. They got AC or DC and a few different setups to choose from (IE-remote, keyed etc). They run from about $670-870 depending on remotes, solar recharging etc...but I can get some cheaper when I place my order if anybody is interested. Just waiting to hear how much cheaper......

these are the AC versions, the dc ones are available too
http://www.lifttechmarine.com/ac-manual-motor.html

Lars
02-23-2011, 02:11 PM
I'd go for the direct drive for sure, a much better setup than a motor spinning the wheel. I don't know a lot about the different brands but we have a shore commander and it's worked great. It has a variable frequency drive so you can adjust it and have it go quick while lowering and slower coming up. Plus remotes and a light are always handy =)

minnesotanice
02-24-2011, 01:13 PM
I'm looking at Lift Tech boat lift motors or Sidewinders. I can get a discount on LiftTech, but I don't know much about them. Anybody recommend them or have any experience?

Teamtalk's policy doesn't allow group buys, but if you're interested in getting one in the next couple weeks, email me at sweaver76@aol.com and I can probably hook you up a little with some savings when i order mine. I'm not one myself, but I know a dealer. He offered me and any friends a good deal. But, I don't want to buy a piece of crap either, so I'd like to know your impressions if you own one.....

PS-I don't quite get the group buy restriction, so if this is infringing on anything, mods, please delete whatever you need to and I'll repost as necessary.
I am going to try a boat lift motor gadget this coming year that I saw at a local boat show. Its $50. I figure its worth a shot. The guy said that if I didnt like it he would give me 100% back towards a lift mate or a sidewinder. Here is the link http://www.boatliftmotor.net
again, I am not endorsing it because I havent used it but at $50 with a buy back option I am going to go for it. I will report back in the summer

blakehardesty
02-24-2011, 01:23 PM
I am going to try a boat lift motor gadget this coming year that I saw at a local boat show. Its $50. I figure its worth a shot. The guy said that if I didnt like it he would give me 100% back towards a lift mate or a sidewinder. Here is the link http://www.boatliftmotor.net
again, I am not endorsing it because I havent used it but at $50 with a buy back option I am going to go for it. I will report back in the summer

I had one of those once. You will end up using that buy back option. They are junk. Where are you? I have one to sell. haha

bturner2
02-24-2011, 01:50 PM
Yep, that's the one I had. Never even got it all the way installed before taking it back off. Waste of time IMO.

uncleboo
02-24-2011, 05:25 PM
I use the hydrohoists http://boatlift.com/. They work great--never had an issue on either of the boats. Sometimes you can find used ones for sale at your local marina.

maxpower220
02-24-2011, 06:05 PM
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=29877&pdesc=12V_Lift_Mate_with_Quick_Connect_Boat_Batter y&aID=602H&merchID=4006

I have had this model for 3 years. It was on sale and cheaper back then. I have had no issues with it at all. It does take a few minutes to lift up my boat on a Hewitt cantilever lift, but WAY better than cranking by hand. I have the 12V that runs off of the boat battery, no power at my dock. The 110V probably has a more consistant run time. If it did fail, it is easy and fast to get the big wheel spinning.

EricB
02-24-2011, 06:52 PM
I have one of these on my lift. It works great and has remote. It is high powered (12v or 110v), easy to install and gets rid of the wheel.

If the thing was to fail, you use a rechargeable drill to raise the unit through a tool inserted through the base of the unit. take alook at the website. If you have any questions, let me know. I've installed several of these.
http://www.extrememax.com/catalogs/marine/boat-lift-boss-sys/12v-boat-lift-boss.php

jwroblew
02-28-2011, 03:51 PM
I have lift tech motor the DC one. Works like a champ, I had the relay go bad on mine after about a year, called them up and the overnighted a new one, no hassle, actually they sent me two just for my trouble. I would recommend there motor. I didn't go with any fancy bells or whistles, just the motor, hooked up a set of cables directly to the battery, pull on the lift hook up the quick connect to the motor, 5 seconds later I'm lifting the boat out of the water.