PDA

View Full Version : led light ring diy

jdeml
02-20-2011, 09:34 PM
ok im making led rings for 6 6.5" tower speakers and 15 cup holders. I will show steps as I go....

1. buy leds ( i went with 100 yellow and uv purple from ebay.prewired)
2. locate some 1/4" plexiglass (also ebay)
3. tools needed: jigsaw with plexiglass blade, drill, table top, protractor and some skills

i measured my speakers and cut 6.5 diameter from the plexiglass, then i measured cup holders and made the OD a little bigger. used protractor to draw circles.

Double D
02-20-2011, 09:46 PM
ok im making led rings for 6 6.5" tower speakers and 15 cup holders. I will show steps as I go....

1. buy leds ( i went with 100 yellow and uv purple from ebay.prewired)
2. locate some 1/4" plexiglass (also ebay)
3. tools needed: jigsaw with plexiglass blade, drill, table top, protractor and some skills

i measured my speakers and cut 6.5 diameter from the plexiglass, then i measured cup holders and made the OD a little bigger. used protractor to draw circles.

Sweet!! Keep it coming!! What size does the plexiglass come in?

jdeml
02-20-2011, 09:51 PM
im using 1/4 but you can get it in any size. 1/4 is so much cheaper and works with 3mm prewired leds. also in the last 5 minutes i decided to make them for my speakers inside the boat as well. so i went on ebayer and got a few more sheets!!

Double D
02-20-2011, 09:56 PM
im using 1/4 but you can get it in any size. 1/4 is so much cheaper and works with 3mm prewired leds. also in the last 5 minutes i decided to make them for my speakers inside the boat as well. so i went on ebayer and got a few more sheets!!

I plan to make them for all my speakers. Never thought of the cup holders but that will be awesome. I just bought blue neon strips for the inside so adding these will make it look so much better. So go with 1/4" and the sheet size is?

Kyle
02-20-2011, 10:03 PM
I really want to see your skills. I would be using "a perfect circle" and a "router" to cut the plexi glass.

If I used the hand held jigsaw it would look like a parkinsons patient cut it out.

KnoxX2
02-20-2011, 10:05 PM
Keep it coming looks great!

KnoxX2
02-20-2011, 10:06 PM
I really want to see your skills. I would be using "a perfect circle" and a "router" to cut the plexi glass.

If I used the hand held jigsaw it would look like a parkinsons patient cut it out.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Not funny but HAAAAAAAA:D

jdeml
02-20-2011, 11:27 PM
yeah the jig saw way is pretty easy. just use a dremmel when done to shape up the sides and frost them so the ring will glow and not be clear. All wiring specs can be found to determine amps at oznium.com. i plan on integrating 2 sets of leds so i can change from one to another. (yellow and uv purple) so will have two switches. I also bought a music interface from oznium that i will hook into the inside boat speakers and courtesy lights that will flash with bass. so in theroy the tower rings and cupholders will be on while the inside boat speaker grills and a couple accent lights will be able to flash to the music if you wanted. if not then you can switch the music interface to always on and not have flashing.

j4rowell
02-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Help me out a little... how are you going to integrate the lights with the glass? Cut small holes? Post a pic if you would please!

I was going to do something similar using fiberglass resin and pouring it into a mold with the lights dipped inside but if your way works out it seems a little less messy.

jdeml
02-21-2011, 11:09 PM
ill get some pics this weekend hopefully. works been busy busy. yes i will cut small holes or grooves then lay the led inside and use epoxy from lowes, walmart, ace etc. to hold them in. then im goin to use a ring of neoprene on both sides just as a bumper and glue that together. then screw the light rings between the speaker and housing and glueing the cup rings to lip of cup holder. hope that helps. ill work on the pics.

jdeml
02-21-2011, 11:15 PM
heres a look of the cup holder rings that i got to today. all flush, used a dremel to polish the sides smooth.

craig3972
02-22-2011, 12:24 AM
here is another guy who made some http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=33245&highlight=speaker+leds

jdeml
03-14-2011, 11:53 PM
ok cup holders on hold. so i did the speaker rings. i went with 3/8" plexiglass and installed 2 different colors. in each ring i have 12 amber/yellow and 12 uv purple. so 24 total 3mm prewired leds in each ring. cut with jig saw and drilled small holes which i dipped the bulb in epoxy then put bulb in hole ta dah. wiring them all up was the fun part but well worth it. will install 2 new switches and tower leds will be finished. check out the pics.

jdeml
03-14-2011, 11:54 PM

i also changed all the cabin leds out with amber and will add leds in both colors to cup holders and other little places. what do yall think????

EarmarkMarine
03-15-2011, 12:49 AM
Keep in mind that you can do a light ring with a flexible strip that has up to 3 LEDs per every 1.5 inches and only a single 2-conductor wire coming off the ring. Once the acrylic diffuser ring is frosted this creates a more continuous halo without gaps.
Totally prefabricated and complete laser cut cup holder light rings are only $30 each and speaker light rings are only $40 each. Of course that may take all the fun out of it.
RGB light rings are available with a remote control that will display every possible color with numerous programming options.

David
Earmark Marine

jdeml
03-15-2011, 01:06 AM
True true! I know there are easier and better ways. but i wanted something to show 2 different colors. and total cost for me was 6 rings 30-40 bucks. plus i like little projects for the simple bragging rights and keeps me busy.

epnault
03-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Where is a reliable source that you found your LEDs. Do you have a brand, cost, etc?

jdeml
03-15-2011, 08:02 PM
I use Ebay. Just type in 3mm prewired leds. Go with the cheapest one. I have found 100 prewired for 13 bucks!!! I get everything from Ebay. Another good spot is Oznium.com for pucks or flexible strips and little add ons. All in all I will have changed my stock LEDS and added 5 more sets around the boat, speaker rings (6), cup holders (16, I think), LEDs in front and rear coolers, flexible strip under dash and In vents in the back. After all is said and done with leds, wire, toggles, plexiglass, epoxy, loom and electrical tape Id say my cost is around 100 bucks. But probably less. and thats lighting the entire boat in 2 different colors!