PDA

View Full Version : clarion m309 head unit opinions?

bjw444
02-20-2011, 09:13 PM
Hello im redoing my ntm(new to me) 2002 xstar and that includes a complete stereo redo.

I currently have a clarion with 2 wired remotes so id like to stay with a clarion unit. I looking at the clarion m309 on amazon, any on on here have one? what do you think of it?

Also im looking for 6.5" speakers( in the boat) any popular and resonably priced speakers, thanks alot

bturner2
02-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Be careful with the remotes as some of them are not compatible with the newer head units or the old ones will only support limited functions. I have the CMD6 which should be similar but in a double DIN package. I've had no problems with mine and have eliminated carrying CDs. I use my phone, iTouch or USB keys these days and the best part is that if you have friends coming you can tell them to down load their music to their phone or device and play their music for them if you want to be the gracious host.

There are a few Alpine fans on the board that for some reason seem to hate Clarion but I like the CMD6 and have had no issues to date.

As for speakers.... I currently have the stock MasterCraft JLs and love them but they're larger and would required some work to make them fit an existing installation. IN my last boat I had Polk Audio's and liked the way they sounded and preformed. If you looking for some real high end gear there are several guys that really know audio on this site that will be along shortly that can help out. Good luck with the install......

The8Ball
02-21-2011, 12:53 PM
I have the m309. It's nice. I just have it mounted in the dash. I have an alpine amp, 10" JL sub... and 4 6x9 JBL's. There are some polk audio 6.5" speakers people seem to like on here... I like JL though...

TNH2oSkier
02-21-2011, 01:07 PM
I've got the m309 unit, and like it so far. Check the usual places on the web to make sure it will work with your existing remotes.

timvan
02-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Im one of those alpine guys, I ditched all the clarion stuff. Added A alpine CDA-118M, Transom Remote, 2 PDX marine amps, Polk marine monitors and a J/L 10w7.

The head unit fits perfect with a clarion adapter plate, looks oem.

Sounds great and I didnt break the bank. Its a boat, not a home theater. It will rock any area I need it to and then some.

tr6coug
02-21-2011, 01:39 PM
What clarion do you have now? The remotes might be partially compatible with an adapter cable. The M309 uses an 8-pin DIN plug where the older clarions used a 6-pin plug. Newer head units are compatible with older remotes but you loose some functionality like LCD display but your remote might not even have that.

rocket71
02-21-2011, 05:04 PM
I got my M309 from http://www.sonicelectronix.com/. I like it. I also got the newer remote connect and it controls the ipod nicely.

bjw444
02-22-2011, 01:26 AM
Thanks guys! I'm not sure what radio I currently have, I'll check the radio and number of pins on remotes tommorrow.

I'm thinking I might pit a mw1 with LCD display near driver and jopefully my other remote will work on the transom.

As for speakers I found Polk Db6501 component speakers for 99$ per pair on amazon!

I'm going to run a 4 channel amp for in boat. A mono amp for sub under driver and another 4 channel amp for the tower speakers.

Thankfully my friend has a ton of used amps so that will be cheap.

bturner2
02-22-2011, 08:46 AM
Check EBay and SonicElectronix for pricing on everything. Also be aware that the diameter of the LCD display may be larger than the currently installed display. I did a complete upgrade on my 03 X2 and found out the hard way that the newer (larger) display would not fit in the original display opening.