PDA

View Full Version : x star cockpit carpet replaced with rhinoline?

bjw444
02-20-2011, 06:59 PM
What up guys? Im looking for opinion/ prior experience about getting white rhino lining sprayed into the cockpit of the boat to replace the carpet of my 2002 xstar.

Reasons i think this would be sweet:

1. easy maintanience and cleaning
2. white will match the floor of the bow of the boat
3. non skid and also soft/ rubber feel

So what do you guys think, i already removed the carpet from the cockpit due to stains and wear(left carpet under seats and in engine bay)

Jeff Lyman
02-20-2011, 07:18 PM
I know that stuff well. I wouldn't do it. Yes it may sound like a good idea but I think it would be slippery when wet. Also think it will hurt resale value and you can NEVER go back without major work. Pass on it!

Now if you had a utility boat used for recovery or work go for it.

Jerseydave
02-20-2011, 07:22 PM
It's going to hurt resale value.

Why not have someone make 2 pieces of carpet for you and install snaps in the carpet, then you install the other part of the snap in your cockpit so you can remove the carpet for cleaning, etc. (once you have snap-in carpet you'll wonder how you lived without it)

east tx skier
02-20-2011, 07:30 PM
Agree. Will destroy resale and snap in carpet is a much better option.

bjw444
02-20-2011, 07:30 PM
i was thinking about snap in carpet but i have the ski locker and the panel that covers gas tank without carpet wrapped around the sides of those pieces they dont fit correctly

duckguy
02-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Bad idea but its your boat so heck do it

bjw444
02-20-2011, 08:08 PM
i am not dead set on the rhinolining thanks for the input everyone. Im going to see what prices are i have a feeling carpet will be much cheaper

vision
02-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Epics (and probably other manufacturers) use a rubber like material instead of carpet on their floorboards. It works well and certainly seems much easier to clean. Similar to but slightly softer than the material used by MC for rear walk throughs. But, I would go snap in carpet.

Kyle
02-20-2011, 09:25 PM
First rhino sprayed 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick will be heavy. Wake boats want more weight but the boat will be a lot heavier.

White will eventually turn yellow

It will not have that rubbery feel forever. It will get hard

It's slippery when wet I don't care who says what. I had it in the bed of my last truck. Things stayed in place on a dry bed. A wet bed the thing was slippery.

You have to sand before you spray. Eventually I can see rhino peeling up on Gelcoat.

I used to work at a auto dealership and was friends with the crazy cajun who sprayed the trucks. He has sprayed pretty much anything. Rhino sticks to metal best.

There is no way I would spray my boat. I don't care how much it costs or how much you may save.

Get snap in carpet or have the boat recarpeted correctly.

bturner2
02-21-2011, 09:50 AM
It's your boat so do what you want but I think most MC people would just about cry when they saw a boat modified this way. Resale value would plummet so if you do go this direction plan on having it for life or accepting far less that market value for it when you go to sell.

scott023
02-21-2011, 11:44 AM
Go with snap in carpet IMO. As others have said, the Rhino will hurt resale value and it has a history of discoloring after time.

Jeff Lyman
02-21-2011, 12:08 PM
I can think of a few boat manufactures that could use the Rhino lineing as a structural part of the boat to keep it together!

Cmpdman
02-21-2011, 12:20 PM
Agree. Snap in carpet is a better option. I have rhinolining in the bed of my truck. It's not the best to go barefoot on. Resale would be less.

Ole Miss Rebels
02-21-2011, 12:24 PM
i have had an 05 and an 08 xstar and i never used the carpet. i never had the carpet snaps installed. i like the ease of cleanup with the textured-fiberglass floor. wet-towell wipe down and done in two minutes. no carpet, ever again for me.