PDA

View Full Version : Gel Coat oxidation suggestions?

rocket71
02-20-2011, 03:10 PM
I have an '06 X-2 that has some oxidation (if that is the right term). What is the best way to combat this situation. I have posted a few pics. The black is the worst of it but there is some on the sides in the red area. I have had a few suggestions of wetsand but that kinda scares me a bit.

Thanks.

http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y374/rocket71/X-2/IMAG0059.jpg

willyt
02-20-2011, 03:14 PM
i just buffed out some oxidazation on my 05 X2. i just used some rubbing compound and a high speed buffer for the large areas, rubbed it by hand for the smaller spots (let the jokes begin...)

FrankSchwab
02-20-2011, 03:55 PM
Search on here for "buffing" or "Oxidation" - you'll get plenty of hits, like this (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=34555) one.

Wold x-7
02-20-2011, 04:17 PM
I just removed it from my 09 x-7. I used Meguiar's M4916 Heavy Duty Oxidation Remover http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-M4916-Heavy-Oxidation-Remover/dp/B0000AY4YX
I got it from my dealer and it works great. I used a Meguiar's clear wax to finish it off. Worked great and the boat looks great.

sand2snow22
02-20-2011, 05:15 PM
Gelcoat guy at my dealer suggests wet sanding with a fine grit, then compound, polish, etc. He says without wet-sanding the oxidation will come back.

CantRepeat
02-20-2011, 05:30 PM
I would not sand the gel coat unless you have some time behind a machine polisher.

BGcraft
02-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Rocket,

Could try 3M's Marine Finesse-It™ II Glaze...it's a less aggressive compound. They do offer a stronger oxidation color/gloss restorer if you do need to go heavy.

Easier to take away oxidation then add gelcoat back. Electric rub/buff last resort (done carefully).

Good luck.

BG

Jeff Lyman
02-20-2011, 08:34 PM
We repaired quite a few boats over the years and I have buffed many of my own and sprayed gel coat. All the answers above are correct ways to remove oxidation. Dont be scared Gel coat is 20 times thicker than automotive finishes you won't go through. It is harder to remove sand scratches than paint, gel coat is a much harder material.

I'm giveing everyone here information I recieved 15 years ago from a Dupont chemist. Do not over wax gel coat or any finish for that matter. Wax is mostly oils and oils magnify the suns UV rays and burn the finish under it. Sounds logical... what happens to your skin in the son with oil on it ? I wax my MC once a year in the spring thats it along with the cars.

To each his own thoughts but I've owned black, red, brown, white, blue boats and only light polishing every 3 or 4 years and minimal wax kept them looking beautifull for years. While everyone is out waxing on waxing off I'm skiing!

KnoxX2
02-20-2011, 10:18 PM
Great advice!!!! Thats excatly what I do. 1 time in the spring and thats it.

FrankSchwab
02-21-2011, 02:35 AM
Gelcoat guy at my dealer suggests wet sanding with a fine grit, then compound, polish, etc. He says without wet-sanding the oxidation will come back.

I had that exact thing told to me - the stern of my boat was pretty badly oxidized, but there's no sign of the oxidation coming back.

I think the "oxidation" is actually a UV-exposure issue - my boat was stored for a couple of years outdoors, with the back end pointing south. After buffing mine out, I made sure the back was always covered - and no more problems. I think you could store a boat for a hundred years in a barn without ever waxing it, and you wouldn't have any oxidation issues. But, store it for two or three years in the sun, and you'll have issues.

/frank

SunCoast 83
02-21-2011, 02:43 AM
If you store it outside you should either upgrade to a good quality "waterline" cover or add a skirt on to your existing boat cover. Otherwise you will develop a noticeable difference in what is covered and what is not. Indoor storage is the best option if it is available. I wax 2-3 times per year and wipe down with a quick spay wax/detailer after every other use. No oxidation issues as a result.

mccobmd
02-21-2011, 08:59 AM
Great advice!!!! Thats excatly what I do. 1 time in the spring and thats it.

Makes me feel less lazy, that's my MO.

Thrall
02-21-2011, 11:15 AM
Makes me feel less lazy, that's my MO.

Hahaha, me too!

The back of my black X2 looked the same when I bought it. Get a buffer, rotary, not orbital. Hand work isn't going to take that out.
No sanding needed, start with a med cut rubbing compound, then use a polish. It will shine right up.
I use 3M products, but any decent quality stuff will work, like Meguiars.

rocket71
02-21-2011, 05:24 PM
When I got the boat at the middle of last season it must have had a fresh waxing because you couldn't see the oxidation. Toward the end of last season it started to show. There are spots on the red too.

If I go the rotary buffer route is there anything I should watch out for? I am assuming I would only use it for the polishing stage and not the "cutting" stage?

Jeff Lyman
02-21-2011, 07:16 PM
ROCKET, Darker colors everyone will find dulls quicker than lighter colors. Reds should be the worse then black and so on. Red colors have the most pigment, and its the pigment dulling that you see. Thank God most boats are white!

To remove oxidation buff the sh$t out of it, you really cant hurt the Gel. Be carfull around mouldings and trim, use tape to protect them. Dont hit any decals they will be gone in seconds! Heavy cut compound and a wool pad works the best on real bad finishes. Or, a foam pad with a medium polish on the not so bad. The trick is to finish off according to instruction from the polish co. you choose, Its the fine scratches not removed in the end that leave you with a not so shiny finish. I lightly polish with a real buffer my 93 prostar every other year, foam pad and very light polish, wash, 1 coat of wax and in the water.

Good luck.

FrankSchwab
02-22-2011, 01:21 AM
You use the rotary buffer from the get-go - as Jeff said, heavy cut compound (like the Meguiar's #49 in the thread I linked, or something from 3M) with a wool pad, then a lighter compound, then some wax, and you're good to go.

If it started out looking good, and deteriorated in the space of a season, are you sure that this isn't just hard-water build up? Try hitting it with some vinegar to see if it simply dissolves.

/frank

Jeff Lyman
02-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Vinegar....my boat would stink! Never heard of that trick.

aquaman
02-22-2011, 04:25 PM
Vinegar....my boat would stink! Never heard of that trick.

works great, I mix some vinegar with water and wipe down the boat after each use....dissolves any minerals and basically eliminates any water spots. doesn't take much and works fantasic on the windshield.

willyt
02-22-2011, 04:27 PM
thats what most of the water-spot removers contain. Every smelled hot sauce, or babe's boat bright? Basically vinegar/wax/water.

medicmoose
02-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Oil level - CHECK
Gas in boat - CHECK
Boards loaded on - CHECK
Douche the boat - ***????
:D:D:D

Granite_33
02-22-2011, 05:01 PM
works great, I mix some vinegar with water and wipe down the boat after each use....dissolves any minerals and basically eliminates any water spots. doesn't take much and works fantasic on the windshield.

At the risk of jokes. I have vinegar in a bottle and spray the boat down every other week or so, keeps the water spots off the boat.

At the end of the season I use boat wash, warm water, vinegar in a bucket. The vinegar dissolves all the minerals, leaves the boat absolutely smooth to the touch.

03geetee
02-22-2011, 05:10 PM
Does the vinegar break down wax any faster then normal?

JTR

aquaman
02-22-2011, 05:34 PM

JTR

the mix is very dilute, i don't think it affects the wax much, if any. but keeping the water/mineral buildup off the gelcoat from starting, keeps the surface smoother and discourages more water spots from forming.

Jeff Lyman
02-22-2011, 06:41 PM
I would bet the wax gets removed from that mixture. What I have learned about wax is its on the surface only and is gone after a few washings. Gel coat is not penetrated by wax just like clear coat on cars for the most part to. So you would expect it gets washed off quickly.

I'm a wax hater can ya tell, I have better things to do.

Thrall
02-22-2011, 06:45 PM

JTR

I don't think so, but I've never used any of the high dollar waxes that are supposed to last a long time. Besides if you ahve to get waterspots off, you gotta get them off and vinegar/water works the best excpet for some of the products mentioned above. May try the vinegar/water/spray wax combo and see if I can kill 3 birds with one stone!
FWIW, I started using Turtle Wax Ice spray wax. I hate hand waxing and therfore rarely do it. Even most spray waxes require going back and wiping off the wax residue. Turtle Wax Ice does not leave the white residue. Just spray on while wiping down and you're done. Leaves a slight haze on black that needs wiped off, but it's transparent on lighter colors and it doesn't turn your trim white. You can spray it on windows, plastic trim, etc with no residue left over.

Jeff Lyman
02-22-2011, 06:53 PM
For what its worth.... Years ago at big time car shows I use to attend. Car owners were using Lemon Pledge furniture spray on their cars and lightly wipeing. I asked whats up, answer " whats the difference its the same as wax only better and easier.

03geetee
02-22-2011, 09:24 PM
For what its worth.... Years ago at big time car shows I use to attend. Car owners were using Lemon Pledge furniture spray on their cars and lightly wipeing. I asked whats up, answer " whats the difference its the same as wax only better and easier.

You wouldn't believe how many people use pledge on their toys its insane!

JTR

mccobmd
02-22-2011, 09:40 PM
[QUOTE=Jeff Lyman;734012]ROCKET, Darker colors everyone will find dulls quicker than lighter colors. Reds should be the worse then black and so on. Red colors have the most pigment, and its the pigment dulling that you see. Thank God most boats are white!
QUOTE]

That is why mine is all white, I've already admitted I'm Lazy.