PDA

View Full Version : Switching from Chaparral to Mastercraft

51timber
02-18-2011, 10:26 PM
Hello all. So I just sold my chaparral 180 Le bow rider after falling in love with wakeboarding. It only had a 135 Hp, and shall we say, now I am serious! I just put a deposit on a 2002 Mastercraft Maristar X 30. With 330 hp. 152 hours. Please don't be insulted by the question. But how have you who have had the Maristar x 30 preferably the 2002, feel about the boat. Am I barking up the right tree? SHOULD i be looking elsewhere? My brother in law who has a ski supreme tells me this type of Mastercraft is his dream boat for such. Is he just blowing smoke my way or what?

Ps what should I expect for a top speed? I also read porpising can be a problem is that a general rule or the exception?

Thank you for your guidence!

The8Ball
02-18-2011, 10:30 PM
Top speed, on a V-8 inboard, about 45-50 mph. Regardless of engine size, boat size, etc... Just the physics behind it.

51timber
02-18-2011, 10:41 PM
Cool thanks.

TallRedRider
02-18-2011, 10:42 PM
Good to hear that you are getting into a real towboat!

The question of how fast it goes is the wrong question however. These boats are made to pull people doing watersports. My boat, for example, does about 42MPH. But I only need it to go 23.5 MPH, and it will do that while hauling 2500+ pounds of people, gear and ballast and still have enough strength to pull out tree stumps.

You are going to love that boat. But don't get it if you need a go fast boat.

MC4SNETS
02-18-2011, 11:41 PM
Timber, you are buying yourself a great boat. Period. Say no more.

You say "MariStar X-30".....which is it?

Depending on options could be two different boats. Maristar (MC's luxury performance series) can be equipped (factory) with a tower and ballast like an X-30. The X-30 (The Wakeboard Edition) is the same boat with tower and ballast...and different dash and exterior graphics....otherwise the same boat.......but they are 2 different boats using the same hull.

Pics?

Either way, great boat and in a different class than the Ski Supreme.....I looked at a Ski Supreme V-Drive, not a MariStar or X-30 by any means. So your brother-in-law is speaking the truth.

I own a 2001 Maristar 210 (Same hull as X-10) with the 330 HP. Great boat. Lotsa power. Well built. Solid. 50 MPH tops with stock prop.

cf_koch
02-19-2011, 07:34 AM
I made the switch from a 20' Sea Ray with 260 hp to a Maristar 215 w/ MCX (350 hp) and have never regreted the switch. Enjoy your new purchase, you will love it.

51timber
02-19-2011, 07:54 AM
Thank you for the advice. Your right it's not a speed boat. I am jumping from a max capacity of 7 to 12 and will finally have some power.

So here are some pics. I will be inspecting the boat for purchase in a few days.

Any idea what I should do with the seat? And helm to clean it all up? Also do you think a good compounding will clean the hull?

The information I have is it is a Maristar X 30

51timber
02-19-2011, 07:58 AM
Here is the portside as well

medicmoose
02-19-2011, 08:29 AM
Doesn't look like the owner put much time into keeping it clean...that would be a red flag for me. Was it run in salt water? Is it a salt water series? Is that an antenna mounted right in front of the driver's windshield? I would definitely low ball the seller!

SWeaver
02-19-2011, 08:30 AM
That seat is gonna need a new skin. Research it on here....lots of seat skin info.

SWeaver
02-19-2011, 08:34 AM
You have an X30. Side graphics removed. Warning...not "babies" by the looks of it though. Is it a closed loop cooling system? I only ask because I'd have salt water usage concerns otherwise.

Cmpdman
02-19-2011, 09:11 AM
The hull will clean up nicely. The seats need to new skins. There's been tons of posts on new skins. Once you have the new skins use the MC vinyl protectant the 303 vinyl protectant to keep them clean and looking new. I use the 303.

Jerseydave
02-19-2011, 09:25 AM
I had a 2003 Maristar 230 (same boat) with the 350 hp MCX, top speed around 48 with the stock prop but I changed it to a 13.7 X 17 which is better for wakeboarding.

The X-30 is a great boat for wakeboarding and wakesurfing. However the boat your looking at looks like it was not cared for very well, left in the sun alot (sun faded gelcoat, cracked upholstery, etc.) and used in salt water??? The antenna looks like it's for a VHF radio so maybe the owner ran the boat offshore?? That bimini top is huge but aftermarket, not from Mastercraft.

Frankly I'd pass on this one.....there are other boats for sale in better condition. The salt water use would kill it for me.

scott023
02-19-2011, 09:30 AM
I had a 2003 Maristar 230 (same boat) with the 350 hp MCX, top speed around 48 with the stock prop but I changed it to a 13.7 X 17 which is better for wakeboarding.

The X-30 is a great boat for wakeboarding and wakesurfing. However the boat your looking at looks like it was not cared for very well, left in the sun alot (sun faded gelcoat, cracked upholstery, etc.) and used in salt water??? The antenna looks like it's for a VHF radio so maybe the owner ran the boat offshore?? That bimini top is huge but aftermarket, not from Mastercraft.

Frankly I'd pass on this one.....there are other boats for sale in better condition. The salt water use would kill it for me.

I agree. The history of that boat is quite obvious by the pics. If that's how the previous owner cared for the exterior of the boat, what did he do with the non-visable?

What is the asking price? I'm sure that with that info there are members here that wil lbe able to find a better boat at a similar price.

Kyle
02-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Doesn't look like the owner put much time into keeping it clean...that would be a red flag for me. Was it run in salt water? Is it a salt water series? Is that an antenna mounted right in front of the driver's windshield? I would definitely low ball the seller!

100% agree like are they practically giving this boat away. The dash looks sun faded bad and this will cause cracking and eventually breaking. Seat needs skin so what do the other seats look like.

If you add the repair cost to price it may be better to keep looking and spend a little more on a boat without repairs and one that was better taken care of.

Even though she has low hours she looks rode very hard and put up wet.

Spend a little more and get one with a little more hours and taken well care of. That boat looks like a pretty big project that my never end.

51timber
02-19-2011, 11:12 AM
I am Getting it 5k below book. Also it was a fresh water only boat

medicmoose
02-19-2011, 11:16 AM

RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY!

It's early in the year....keep looking!!! It may be designed as a fresh water only boat but I would have serious reservations about believing that it was only used in fresh water!! That few of hours and in that condition....I'm not buying it.

scott023
02-19-2011, 11:27 AM
RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY!

It's early in the year....keep looking!!! It may be designed as a fresh water only boat but I would have serious reservations about believing that it was only used in fresh water!! That few of hours and in that condition....I'm not buying it.

^^^^^

X2. Not the right boat for you IMO. Lots to be had out there if you keep your eyes peeled.

Thrall
02-19-2011, 11:44 AM

The owner is full of it. Salt water trailer, palm trees swaying in the background, sitting in a boat yard with off shore boats, marine radio antenna and generally in bad shape. Only get get it if you want a project and it's very cheap.
New skins for the entire boat will cost you $3k approx. Figure several days of cleanup, sanding, compounding, IF you have all the tools. Otherwise add $1k for hull/decals. Carpet isn't cheap either. Bet the engine compartment looks like an old snowplow truck from Chicago (salt)!

51timber
02-19-2011, 01:00 PM
Look at these pictures of the Hull. It is way too clean IMO to have been a alt water boat. From these Pics i beleive him. I am getting the boat for 20K. I think the price is right given the comparable values out there I have seen. Most of the interior is ok. Just the captains seat and one side panel looks cracked.

The tower appears to be Mastercraft as well. Check out the Picture.

I am having a profesional independent marine survey done, just to be sure. He will run a scan of the engine. If he approves i was planning on going forward with it.

What do you think after looking at the rest of the pictures?

medicmoose
02-19-2011, 01:15 PM
I think you already have your mind made up.

My boat has close to the same number of hours and is not showing that kind of corrosion/deposit on the prop, shaft and rudder. Just sayin.....

scott023
02-19-2011, 01:25 PM
Looks like salt water spots on the drive gear to me... like medic said, sounds like you have your mind made up already, so our opinion won't do any good, but I wouldn't touch that boat with a 50ft stick for 20K. You're going to have at least 5k in work to get it looking good, and that's without knowing what condition the motor is in.

TX.X-30 fan
02-19-2011, 01:42 PM
That boat looks like hammered mule sh!t................

coz
02-19-2011, 01:45 PM
What do you think after looking at the rest of the pictures?

I think I have a PS 205 in excellent condition with a little over 200 hours I'll sell ya for 20K. Click my signature quote to see it.

1985 Skiier
02-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Somebody has to buy the crappy one. In my search for an 85 I walked away from boats in better condition that that!

ttu
02-19-2011, 02:03 PM
if it were me i would pass. that boat has been used in salt h20

MIMC
02-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Looks like previous owner was a boat owner - not a Mastercraft owner! I second many of the previous posts - no thanks - I'd be walking away and keep looking! Just my opinion!

03geetee
02-19-2011, 02:05 PM
I would keep looking 20 stacks can buy you alot in this economy and that boat doesnt even qualify.

My fresh water 83's propnut has 2700 hours on it and didnt turn green. Not used in salt MY ***!

RUN!

JTR

ttu
02-19-2011, 02:11 PM
here is a maristar that is local to me.

looks to be in a lot better condtion

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/boa/2169138312.html

KnoxX2
02-19-2011, 02:23 PM
Sorry!! You need to run don't walk away from this boat. Saltwater use is bad for these boats if they are not buil for it IE: Salt Water Series!!!! There are alot of boats for sale right now with all the Boat Shows going on!!!!

jddavis6
02-19-2011, 02:38 PM
Be weary of this boat. Looks to me like it has not been well taken care of, when I purchased my X-2, it took a long time to find the right boat. We looked at alot of different boats and were told many stories about them, ultimately we purchased a used boat from a MC Dealer. Make them give you some history on this boat, many times a great deal is "too good to be true". BE CAREFUL!

SWeaver
02-19-2011, 06:13 PM
I'm thinking this guy is just stirring the pot and trying to get a reaction from you guys. Nobody would drop 20k on that thing, and if they do....that's DARWIN working, and you shouldn't step in and interfere with DARWIN, IMHO.

aswile
02-19-2011, 07:14 PM
A friend of mine was about to pull the trigger on that boat- the motor is supposed to be a replacement engine. He negotiated 19K on it- the dealer has it there on consignment and they don't do anything with ski boats. The more detailed pictures showed that all the interior is shot and it looks heavily used in salt water. This can be had for deal as long as you are willing to put elbow grease and money in new interior. He just picked up a near mint version of the same boat with similar hours for 2k more- it needs nothing. Better deals are out there unless you can score this one for about 17k- just my opinion.

51timber
02-20-2011, 01:25 PM
Ok I am getting your drift. My thinking was if the interior needed a new seat anf side pannel but I was getting the boat for 5 to 6 below book than I would be fine with that. I was going to have the boat professionaly inspected by a marine surveyor. I was under the impression I could come out 4 k better. Given everyones responses though I can see which way to go. Thank you.

In that case if you notice a clean Maristar x 30 let me know

Thank you,

Timber

SWeaver
02-20-2011, 01:57 PM
When it comes to MC boats, and buying them, the people on here really know their stuff. You are wise to have asked before it was too late. That boat would've been a money pit from neglected maintenance and corrosion issues, pitting, etc. You would've gone through that 5k savings quickly.

On the positive side, great model boat to be looking at, and good time of year to be looking. Great deals will go fast. Look everyday. Be ready to buy. Lots of people enjoyed their shopping experience. I hated it, but I love the end result. Good luck.

TOO-TALL
02-20-2011, 02:19 PM
I did the switch(Chaparral to MC) 6 years ago and never looked back.

But, like everyone has said that MC looks beat.Take your time there are lot of great MC's out there for sale.

Jerseydave
02-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Glad to hear you have decided to explore all your options.....it's only february so plenty of time to look around for a good deal.

51timber
02-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Thanks again gang. Looks like were back to the searching for now Ill keep you all posted.

Kyle
02-20-2011, 09:34 PM
Atta Boy. That last boat was a pos and you would be better off with the chaparral. Glad to see you are still looking. You will find a nice one soon.

scott023
02-21-2011, 08:47 AM
Atta Boy. That last boat was a pos and you would be better off with the chaparral. Glad to see you are still looking. You will find a nice one soon.

You're not kidding...

Cmpdman
02-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Boat looks hammered. Keep looking or make a better deal, a lot better deal...

milkmania
02-21-2011, 10:04 AM
total neglect by previous owner:mad:

I think it's been covered...... but RUN !

Kyle
02-21-2011, 10:06 AM
total neglect by previous owner:mad:

I think it's been covered...... but RUN !

Lol............

aquaman
02-21-2011, 10:12 AM
milkman.....can you add some rocket launchers and out-riggers to this " fresh water" only boat? ;)

Cmpdman
02-21-2011, 10:47 AM
milkmania... lol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

51timber
02-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Ok. That's Awsome!!!!!!

milkmania
02-21-2011, 11:52 AM
can carfax do a similar type deal with HIN's
like, show registration history???
I mean, it's highly likely a resident on the coastline is gonna drop it in the ocean, rather than driving inland to get wet.

aquaman
02-21-2011, 11:57 AM
agree.....i think the salt corrosion on the arch and the "green" prop nut pretty well sum it up for me.

milkmania
02-21-2011, 12:22 PM
agree.....i think the salt corrosion on the arch and the "green" prop nut pretty well sum it up for me.
seen a lot of Center Console off shore boats with that same bimini set-up too

milkmania
02-21-2011, 12:26 PM
rusty risers:rolleyes:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=64490&stc=1&d=1298139944

$12,000 boat at best

it pisses me off to see this kind of treatment....shouldn't NEED TO RESTORE a boat this soon:mad:

South Ga. Nole
02-21-2011, 08:37 PM
I recently switched from a chaparral to an x-25 and I will never want to wakeboard behind another runabout. The only thing about my mastercraft that I dislike is docking and putting on my lift. They just don't respond like runabouts do, especially in reverse. Gonna take a little getting use to. I shopped around for a while though my budget was more than yours, I looked at several nice used boats. I live near the coast and I can tell you for a fact that this boat looks like it has been in salt water. If nothing else the salt water trailer and the bimini added that looks like a salt water boat bimini top kinda gives it away. Would definately look elsewhere. I do have a 2004 chaparral for sale though if you are interested in great condition with a chaparral tower.:)