PDA

View Full Version : SOLUTION TO STAINS on VINYL

Jim@BAWS
02-17-2011, 04:06 PM
If this has been discussed before then so be it if not read on....

We have an 06 in right now that has been left covered outside. Probably not covered the exact way of perfection. Also probably put away wet because of High use...which is fine. Use the boat that is what it is made for

Folks have complained about tough stains to remove, sometimes turning pink almost or very light brown. I wanted to show you this photo. The boat needs a bath, a detail, a good cleaning. I was asked to prepare additional photos for a customer of distance, we used a "MAJIC ERASER' on the interior, a sort of before and after. Works great and gets the deep stuff out of the textured vinyl. Just wanted you to see it first hand

Jim@BAWS

Jeff Lyman
02-17-2011, 04:23 PM
I have the same problem on my 93 turning a light pinkish brown in a few spots. Where do you buy the majic eraser cleaner? Soft scrub with bleach is the only product Ive found to work on those spots and guess its not good for the vinyl.

brucemac
02-17-2011, 04:26 PM
yup they work great. i use them sparingly though as they are pretty abrasive.

ever tried malco leather and plastic cleaner? stuff's amazing.

http://www.amazon.com/LEATHER-PLASTIC-CLEANER-16-OUNCE/dp/B002QCRNXW

SKADMAN
02-17-2011, 04:29 PM
Jim, was there any product used? Soap and water? Or was it just a damp Majic Eraser? Thanks, Jason

Jim@BAWS
02-17-2011, 05:44 PM
I have the same problem on my 93 turning a light pinkish brown in a few spots. Where do you buy the majic eraser cleaner? Soft scrub with bleach is the only product Ive found to work on those spots and guess its not good for the vinyl.

Once its clean....well keep it clean. This was a drastice measure that really worked well

Jim, was there any product used? Soap and water? Or was it just a damp Majic Eraser? Thanks, Jason

Damp Majic Eraser

Jim@BAWS

sand2snow22
02-17-2011, 05:56 PM
Well done Jim, I've used them in the same manner. A lot of people will argue how much it will hurt and damage the vinyl, but in cases like yours I don't see the harm only good.

Jeff Lyman
02-17-2011, 06:17 PM
Jim I would keep it clean and do but it seems to turn back to the light brown color as the summer progresses in the same areas. So again what is "majic eraser" ? Rather not wast time going on a wild internet goose chase and bet others may want to know too.

scott023
02-17-2011, 06:19 PM
Jim I would keep it clean and do but it seems to turn back to the light brown color as the summer progresses in the same areas. So again what is "majic eraser" ? Rather not wast time going on a wild internet goose chase and bet others may want to know too.

I believe he's refering to the Mr Clean Magic eraser.... http://www.mrclean.com/en_CA/magic-eraser.do

mccobmd
02-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Magic eraser is a product by Mr Clean that is abrasive but not destructive. It feels like a sponge wet. It is almost certianly taking a small amount of the actual vinyl off but only the layer that is irreparably stained. Think of it as buffing off the oxidation on vinyl. Agree with Sand, it is not the first option but is effective and necessary.

Jeff Lyman
02-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Thanks Scott and I was supposed to guess it was the muscle man! Luckly my wife understands that cleaning stuff, not me didnt have a clue.

brucemac
02-17-2011, 06:59 PM
Well done Jim, I've used them in the same manner. A lot of people will argue how much it will hurt and damage the vinyl, but in cases like yours I don't see the harm only good.

you mean cracked and splitting?

east tx skier
02-17-2011, 07:08 PM
I have done it in the past, and it works. But use sparingly and as a last result because you are removing a bit of vinyl if not whatever outermost layer of protection is added to it. In Jim's case, whatever good was there was long gone. But I would hate to see people doing this as part of their annual touch up routine.

I never had any luck with it getting rid of the yellowing around the heat stamped logos on my 93.

Jim@BAWS
02-17-2011, 07:45 PM
Use 303 or MasterCraft Vinyl protectant when you are done

Jim@BAWS

TX.X-30 fan
02-17-2011, 08:06 PM
Greased lightning will remove some nasty stuff and I would try it 1st, but sill as ETS said I always used it sparingly too because it has lye in it. After i used it rinse with water and set in the direct sun for a good while.

cbryan70
02-17-2011, 08:25 PM
Lighter fluid works as well.

sand2snow22
02-17-2011, 09:04 PM
you mean cracked and splitting?

No, not what I mean.

brucemac
02-17-2011, 10:05 PM
whatever....

sand2snow22
02-17-2011, 10:35 PM
^^I'm lost. I used to use them all the time when my boat was new, then started reading posts on WW that they can be bad. Haven't used them for awhile. No problems. On the boats that I used them like Jim has, I haven't seen the long term effects, so I can't comment.

If they stop making our hull this year, we have 5 years to order 2011 vinyl!

Thrall
02-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Magic eraser worked pretty well to get the dark coloration off of the white vinyl on my boat. Discoloration came from the black cover resting on the vinyl in the sun. Even as little as a day in the sun with the cover on would give it a brown hue.
Magic eraser took alot of effort.
Malco plastic and leather cleaner worked the best out of anything I tried, tried lots of different stuff.
Also general use and time out in the sun without the cover on seemed to help brighten the vinyl.
For spot stains liquid wax seems to work well, like Meguiars. Accidentally spilled a couple blobs of it onth e sundeck and it bleached the stain right off. Tired applying it fairly liberally and scrubbing it in, didn't work. So it would be good for isolated spot stains I think.