PDA

View Full Version : Costco / Boats

Granite_33
02-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Interesting article about Costco and local boat dealers getting together.

Deep in the article is a blurb about Costco wanting to do the same with Ski / Wakeboard boats.

Now.....how much of a discout will I get off that new X-25???:D

http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/component/content/article/4-features/508425-a-whale-of-a-deal-for-costco-members

ShawnB
02-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Entry level boats only.... Sounds to me like a Sea Ray-with-a-tower.

Maybe MC could continue to sell the X1 through this channel? Rename it one last time before finally retiring the old hull. MasterCraft XC?

scott023
02-17-2011, 02:19 PM
I love how the kids feet are dangling two feet away from the prop. Safety first....:rolleyes:

Granite_33
02-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Bayliners with a tower.....exclusively at your local Costco warehouse.:noface:

milkmania
02-17-2011, 03:09 PM
I love how the kids feet are dangling two feet away from the prop. Safety first....:rolleyes:

:steering:HIT IT

:rolleyes:

Sodar
02-17-2011, 03:13 PM
We had Bayliners in Price Club (now Costco) 20 years ago... How was this "...really out-of-the-box thinking ... that no one else had tried before"??????

Granite_33
02-17-2011, 03:23 PM
We had Bayliners in Price Club (now Costco) 20 years ago... How was this "...really out-of-the-box thinking ... that no one else had tried before"??????

"Those who have not learned from History.....are destined to repeat it........"

or something like that.....

Dylan
02-17-2011, 04:34 PM
The parking lot at CostCo in my area is already a disaster, hopefully they don't implement the boat show there!

Jerseydave
02-17-2011, 09:48 PM
Reminds me of when Home Depot started selling John Deere lawn tractors.....all the JD dealers had a fit because they were the ones doing waranty work on those machines.
(many of them would take a long time to get to those machines, working on the ones that they sold first)

So Home Depot took sales away from JD dealers.......will Costco do the same for boat dealers? Who will service those boats in a timely manner?

C'mon people.....buy your boat from the dealer!

Ok, off my soapbox now:D

Age Fighter
02-17-2011, 11:25 PM
So Home Depot took sales away from JD dealers.......will Costco do the same for boat dealers? Who will service those boats in a timely manner?

C'mon people.....buy your boat from the dealer!

Ok, off my soapbox now:D

I would never buy a boat from Costco - and I think it's fine and dandy to buy from a local dealer -- except many areas of the country do not have a good dealer network. I've bought one boat out of 8 from a "local" dealer. The reason? No local dealer had what I was looking for at the time. Always gave local dealers first shot, and always would in the future.

And yet, never had a problem getting my boats serviced. It is so strange to me the way people treat service like a gimme -- or a favor. It is not. It is a paid transaction. A dealer's service and parts department can be the cash cow of the whole business in certain situations. I would think five years of winterizations and other routine parts and service could net a dealer more than the sale of that same boat new.

And even on warranty work the dealer gets paid from the factory (albeit probably a reduced rate). Just never understood this idea of "service."

bcboy
02-17-2011, 11:32 PM
Awesome....just think of how many people will use it for the Summer and take it back and get a new one every year!!! :-)

bbymgr
02-18-2011, 06:07 AM
Awesome....just think of how many people will use it for the Summer and take it back and get a new one every year!!! :-)

I wonder if there will be a 15% restocking fee on all returns?:rolleyes:

Double D
02-18-2011, 08:11 AM
Nothing really new here. The local Sam's Club (Similar to Costco and BJ's Wholesale) has had Pontoons and such out front in their parking lot for a few years now. Maybe Sam Walton thought of it first?? :rolleyes:

Justin MCO
02-18-2011, 08:28 AM
From what I under stand about the Costco program, and I could be completely wrong, but I thought Costco basically set up the deal, price and vehicle/boat and would then turn them over to the dealership to finalize the sale, and they use the same contact at the dealer too.

aaron.
02-18-2011, 09:12 AM
I remember the nightmare of a futon i bought from them.

Don't worry though, their boats will only take 2 years to put it together, only to find out it didn't come with enough parts, the instruction manual will only be in french and japanese....and the handy allen wrench won't be included in the box.

Happy Friday all ya'all
:friday:

Jim@BAWS
02-18-2011, 10:02 AM
There have been COSTCO type deals available for dealers to take advantage of. The boat is SOLD via the dealer. It is a PAY TO PLAY type deal. The buyers/members have to be able to see a savings buying from COSTCO vs. the dealer. Cmon...work you best deal at the dealership.

That is how it is worked with Car Dealers. These types of SALES events are for folks who do not want to engage in the sale process. The price is FIRM...buy it at the price listed

Jim@BAWS

bobx1
02-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Price, Quality, Service

Choose two out of the three (and in some cases, only one out of the three).....

94PS190
02-18-2011, 11:59 AM
My guess is that a John deere dealer will make more on the first service than he would on the sale of the lawn mower. I would also guess this is true for all types of dealerships.

94PS190
02-18-2011, 12:04 PM
I bought an ariens mower online. I called the local dealer before I did it, because I was sure at some point I was going to need a friendly service dept. Dealer was helpful and friendly, reassured me I was getting a good mower at a great price and that he would be happy to service it. Win Win for everyone.