PDA

View Full Version : Just got a 93 prostar 205. Now time for the audio!

shocker47
02-17-2011, 12:07 AM
Ok so im pretty big on audio. Im looking to run tower speakers, at least one sub and new interior speakers. How can i mount all these (subwoofer,tower wires) also i will have them all amped. Would i need another battery? If so how can i hook another one up?

Thanks, Alex!

Mgboyd25
02-17-2011, 07:36 AM
Welcome! You gotta post some pics of that new boat!
As for the audio, I am willing to bet there are threads already on here with exactly what you need to know with pictures and all.
I just purchased some speakers from a company called bulletlines and I am very happy with the quality and price. Also check out wetsounds as they are very popular and a leader in the industry.:D

Barefooter92
02-17-2011, 07:42 AM
Never mind the audio...lets see the classic! O did you say you ski? wakeboard? Kneeboard? Barefoot? Well anyway you have a great boat for watersports unless your just a cruiser with a loud soundsystem.

Welcome to TT a great place for MC information and the occasional jab! Now post some pictures.

shocker47
02-17-2011, 09:36 PM
I will make a thread of the boat! and I wakeboard and wakeskate and I'm gong to try barefoot.

etduc
02-18-2011, 10:21 AM
Congrats on the boat. I have a 94 205. Early 90s 205s don't have alot of extra storage, so you'll have be creative. You didn't say if the boat has a tower or not. If not, get one that is pre-wired, trust me. If you're buying a tower. Go New Dimensions. I went another way, all said and done, didn't save alot. I did buy a storage bimini, from Monster Towers, which works very well. (For caring surf boards, even has a tube carrying strap.)

As to amps and sub. Amps take power, sub takes space and power. For me space is important, so I went 5 channel amp, cockpit speakers, with mini sub. (No tower speakers.)
I use a single battery, but I watch the run time, when anchored.

If you only do wakeboard and skate, you can use the original battery location, and install two gel batteries. (smaller/ lighter, for same power)

Also, your oem alternator is a 51 amp. It can be rebuilt, to higher charging rate. 65amps is maximum for #4 oem positive/ground wire, many stereo guys go bigger wire with 65 amps. Be sure it is a marine application alternator.

shocker47
02-18-2011, 10:41 AM
it has a monster tower. it's not pre wired though also has a monster Bimi. I'm deffly looking to get tower speakers and amp them and amp the interior and get a 10 or 12 inch subwoofer. also a new headunit. I'm pretty good with car audio. how would I hook up another battery though? also I might put a cap in. I got one in my car and it's great.

etduc
02-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Here's a picture of MonsterTower, you see can how the wires a run. As to installing additional batteries. Using existing location, rotate existing battery 90 degrees, strap batteries together, then strap to boat. You will need a battery switch or isolator, when running stereo at anchor/parked, much like a car with multiple batteries.

Since your doing wakeboard/skate the extra weight is not a big problem. With conventional batteries, the wake might be alittle lopsided. If you use drycell batteries, the weight would be about the same, as one large conventional. You could also ajust this slightly by going to a smaller starting battery. No need for a 550CA starting battery. Our boats have between 265 and 300hp. I'm using a 26lb. drycell, with 425CA (that's @ 0degrees) 60AH. Probably, would not be adequate for your situation.

Mock up your amps and speaker box, in cardboard, to eyeball the setup.

scott023
02-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Here's a picture of MonsterTower, you can how the wires a run. As to installing additional batteries. Using existing location, rotate existing battery 90 degrees, strap batteries together, then strap to boat. You will need a battery switch or isolator, when running stereo at anchor/parked, much like a car with multiple batteries.

Since your doing wakeboard/skate the extra weight is not a big problem. With conventional batteries, the wake might be alittle lopsided. If you use drycell batteries, the weight would be about the same, as one large conventional. You could also ajust this slightly by going to a smaller starting battery. No need for a 550CA starting battery. Our boats have between 265 and 300hp. I'm using a 26lb. drycell, with 425CA (that's @ 0degrees) 60AH. Probably, would not be adequate for your situation.

Mock up your amps and speaker box, in cardboard, to eyeball the setup.

That looks damn good on there.

Kyle
02-19-2011, 09:46 AM
Never mind the audio...lets see the classic!

With that being said, I have totally distroyed my '93. :) :D :)

Shocker you should be able to put a fine system in your boat. I have some pics in my albums you can check out for ideas. Same year but 190. My buddy has a '92 205 and with what you have to work with, you should be fine.

Yes to extra batteries. It's a must.