PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Prostar 205 i'm looking at tomorrow

PocketThunder
02-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Hi teamtalkers.

I'm new to boat buying as this will be my first. I'm looking at this boat tomorrow, please give me your input as to condition, whats it worth, etc...

thanks

Paul
in Minnetonka, Minnesota

PocketThunder
02-16-2011, 05:03 PM
more pics.

PocketThunder
02-16-2011, 05:05 PM
almost done.

PocketThunder
02-16-2011, 05:07 PM
last one. thanks. Paul

thatsmrmastercraft
02-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Take a look how bent the guide posts are. Look under the trailer and see if there is some welding to do, and check the front rub rail and gelcoat for any possible impact issues.

Cloaked
02-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Prop looks dinged and the gel looks oxidized and it appears to have been a rental (?) with #10???. Not a show stopper if the price is right.

captain planet
02-16-2011, 05:26 PM
Take a look how bent the guide posts are. Look under the trailer and see if there is some welding to do, and check the front rub rail and gelcoat for any possible impact issues.

They probably aren't bent the bolts are probably loose. If I don't keep on the bolts on my trailer, they get loose and do the same thing, it drives me crazy.

Boat looks nice. How many hours and what is the asking price?

Check the frame of the trailer behind the port side wheel and see how they cut the frame to let the brake line come out of the frame.

PocketThunder
02-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Prop looks dinged and the gel looks oxidized and it appears to have been a rental (?) with #10???. Not a show stopper if the price is right.

The number 10 refers to the fact that it is a 10 person boat. if the dnr is watching from across the lake the number 10 on the side of the boat is to inform them of that.

Hours are 554.

Paul

PocketThunder
02-16-2011, 05:29 PM
They probably aren't bent the bolts are probably loose. If I don't keep on the bolts on my trailer, they get loose and do the same thing, it drives me crazy.

Boat looks nice. How many hours?

The seller said the guide posts on the trailer lean forward so that when its on the boat ramp in the water they are standing straight up.

Paul

ttu
02-16-2011, 05:31 PM
i saw that ad earlier today over on kansas city craigslist.

thought it looked really rough.

strange ad to.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/boa/2196774234.html

wheeler
02-16-2011, 05:42 PM
being that the boat is on a single, small motor, trashed interior $11K tops.

east tx skier
02-16-2011, 06:19 PM
Looks a bit rough. The rear seat has been reupholstered and doesn't have the same look as OEM with nice seams and the like. Will need some pretty good buffing to bring out the gel coat shine on the transom again. Cracking vinyl on the rear sun pad will likely spread, too. Overall, not terrible. But definitely a fixer upper and should be priced as such.

This (www.tylerskiclub.com/usedboat.html) may help.

PocketThunder
02-16-2011, 06:25 PM
Looks a bit rough. The rear seat has been reupholstered and doesn't have the same look as OEM with nice seams and the like. Will need some pretty good buffing to bring out the gel coat shine on the transom again. Cracking vinyl on the rear sun pad will likely spread, too. Overall, not terrible. But definitely a fixer upper and should be priced as such.

This (www.tylerskiclub.com/usedboat.html) may help.

Yes that does help very much. thanks.

Are the nada.com price guides any good? Or are they all over the map.
http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/1997/Mastercraft-Boat-Co/205-20/Standard-Equipment

Paul

etduc
02-16-2011, 06:29 PM
Not worth $14,000.00 Have you had the compression checked? Are there service records. This boat has been outside alot. Carpet stained, faded..something died in storage compartment. Vinyl is cracking. Oxidized gel coat (that actually is an easy fix)

Not saying it doesn't have potential. I was looking for a 97-98, when I came across my 94.

Seen worst. Are you good with tools?

east tx skier
02-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Yes that does help very much. thanks.

Are the nada.com price guides any good? Or are they all over the map.
http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/1997/Mastercraft-Boat-Co/205-20/Standard-Equipment

Paul

One of these boats (205) in pristine condition or close is likely to fetch a price exceeds the NADA value. This boat needs a lot of work and I wouldn't presume would fetch the average NADA value.

PocketThunder
02-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Not worth $14,000.00 Have you had the compression checked? Are there service records. This boat has been outside alot. Carpet stained, faded..something died in storage compartment. Vinyl is cracking. Oxidized gel coat (that actually is an easy fix)

Not saying it doesn't have potential. I was looking for a 97-98, when I came across my 94.

Seen worst. Are you good with tools?

I can fix just about anything, I have rebuilt a couple old cars in my day. (frame off restorations)

PocketThunder
02-16-2011, 06:45 PM
One of these boats (205) in pristine condition or close is likely to fetch a price exceeds the NADA value. This boat needs a lot of work and I wouldn't presume would fetch the average NADA value.

Its a 5 hour drive for me one way, i guess i need to have a long phone conversation with the seller tonight then to make it worth the drive.

wheeler
02-16-2011, 06:52 PM
To be honest, if you were even "thinking" about spending close to $14K on a 205, there are more to come that have been owned by a someone who appreciates an M/C. I would not waste your breathe and wait......the market is about to be flooded with boats and I bet you will find one that is lake ready for that price.

Not worth the drive IMO.

aquaman
02-16-2011, 06:57 PM
i would ask for better quality photos rather than drive 5 hrs. close-ups will tell you alot. i would not be in a hurry on this boat, it is very early in the selling season.

Double D
02-16-2011, 07:01 PM
I guess I cant think of anything much more to add. Except to say the comment about the poles being straight when loading made me laugh. :rolleyes: They need to be straight up and down when the boat is level. All ramps are different.

The #10 confuses me too but if it keeps the cops off your back then, ok.... :confused: I would never do it.

One comment not mentioned was since the appearance has been neglected, what maintenance has been neglected??

Last thing is the Craigslist Ad says "Excellent condition". OK, we need to give this guy a class in boat care because the people on TT keep their boats in "Excellent" condition. That boat needs a lot of TLC.

Don't pay what he is asking.

Oops, I guess I had plenty to say.......... :twocents:

Thrall
02-16-2011, 07:22 PM
The seller said the guide posts on the trailer lean forward so that when its on the boat ramp in the water they are standing straight up.

Paul

Uhhhhh.......no. Seller is FOS (full of maunre by the looks of where it's stored).
550 hrs is low hrs, but that thing looks like it lead a rough life. Start with carpet, vinyl, major buffing and gelcoat repair, and that's if everything works mechanically.
Like others said, there are MUCH nicer condition 205's out there in the $14k range (better colors too).
If you want a project, this is it. I say $8k if it runs well. CLose up pics will make it look worse than it already does.
FOr comparison, and I know it's not a 205, but my boat, 500hrs fetched $13,500 18months ago when I sold it.

brucemac
02-16-2011, 08:06 PM
i'd keep looking unless you can get it for a song. looks hammered and the guy didn't even wipe the dust and mold off the seat bases before he snapped the pics.

remiller
02-16-2011, 08:39 PM
Got mine last July For $8500.00. "95" Prostar 190 The trailer was a mess ,which cost me $400.00 to straighten up . The hull and mechanicals were fine , just needed a good detailing . We use it quite a bit as we are in Fl. Offer him about the same if you don't mind fixing it up . The results are definately rewarding !

remiller
02-16-2011, 08:53 PM
We feel we did okay !

TNPIG
02-16-2011, 09:38 PM
If you're five hours East of Kansas City, maybe check this one out.
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=26635

Mgboyd25
02-16-2011, 09:51 PM
If you're five hours East of Kansas City, maybe check this one out.
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=26635

Yeah! and it comes with a barefoot boom and clean carpet!
Looks nice

Slinkyredfoot
02-16-2011, 10:13 PM
Based on your pics, I would not buy it. Depending on what you you can pay, I would keep looking. My two centavos

east tx skier
02-16-2011, 11:02 PM
These are the pictures I feel really sold my old 205.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/CIMG2598.jpg?t=1297911640

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/PICT0118.jpg?t=1297911670

PocketThunder
02-16-2011, 11:30 PM
Damn ETS, your old boat was in nice shape!

Well i decided tonight to pass on this boat until its warm out and i can drive it. I am glad i posted on here for your guys professional opinions. I've never driven a ski boat before and here i was ready to buy one just from looking at it. I'll keep you all posted if i end up going to see this boat a month from now or when the ice is off the lake.

Paul

east tx skier
02-16-2011, 11:46 PM
Good call. I wouldn't buy a boat without having the chance to drive it. That said, the person who bought my boat did so without a test drive, but was pretty familiar with me and the boat through this forum. He still has it and, apparently, it still runs like a top.

remiller
02-17-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm jealous, I thought mine was nice till I saw yours . . Nice work, looks good ! ! !

east tx skier
02-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Thanks. It wasn't quite that nice when I bought it, but the foundation was there.

aaron.
02-17-2011, 01:15 PM
for that price, it should 'at the very least' have the LT-1. but it doesn't

etduc
02-17-2011, 01:27 PM
I can fix just about anything, I have rebuilt a couple old cars in my day. (frame off restorations)

Well, there you go. You're more than capable, to do the repairs. From others postings, you see what can be had, for $14,000.00 If I ever was going to do a frame off car restore, you'll be hearing from me.

My 1st used Mastercraft... paid to much (for what it was), under estimated time to fix things, summer was fast approaching. Needless to say, didn't workout.

My 2nd used (94 205) Mastercraft was much better situation, not perfect, but wife loves it.

A good one, will pop up.

east tx skier
02-17-2011, 01:30 PM
LT1 is a great option, but the TBI motors of that era were nice an torquey. Unless the going rate of a late 90s 205 has dropped pretty considerably in the last couple of years, 14K wouldn't be a bad deal if the boat were in better condition, even with the standard TBI motor.

Barefooter92
02-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Guys here are right, take your time and you will find the right one. IF you want a project boat this is it if you want a maintenance free vessel they are out there. I found mine after looking for 1-1/2 years. Only 185hrs and spotless. Purchased last winter at 13 years old and no issues for my first season.

PocketThunder
02-17-2011, 03:09 PM
I should buy this and put a trailer hitch on my '69 Charger R/T!

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forsale/details.asp?ID=5572&sort=&pagenum=1

gid
02-17-2011, 04:13 PM
15k for that?!
I will keep my 1972 S&S

Jeff Lyman
02-17-2011, 04:29 PM
As a comparison, In 2006 or 4 years ago I paid 13,500k for an 4 year older 93 prostar 205 with 1200 hours. Your boat is 4 years newer so it all equals out with the time lapse. My condition was a bit better than that boat. I would say 14k is reasonable to high. A little cleaning and buffing you will have a nice boat. Surprised its only 265hp with a 350 fuel injected.

Barefooter92
02-17-2011, 11:06 PM
I too have the 1997 PS 205 with the same motor it is rated at 275hp.

east tx skier
02-17-2011, 11:37 PM
I too have the 1997 PS 205 with the same motor it is rated at 275hp.

That boat has 275 hp. In 98, the TBI was 308 hp. From 99 on, it was 310 hp.

rjracin240
02-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Hi teamtalkers.

I'm new to boat buying as this will be my first. I'm looking at this boat tomorrow, please give me your input as to condition, whats it worth, etc...

thanks

Paul
in Minnetonka, Minnesota

Did you get it yesterday???

Jerseydave
02-18-2011, 10:01 AM
You've gotta love purple to get that boat!
Resale later because of the color will be tough, so keep that in mind.

Everyone covered all the pros and cons.....how will you water test it in MN this time of year? You have to drive it on a lake, and I would do a leakdown test and/or compression test for sure. Maybe even a marine survey if you can, it will help you negotiate a better price with the seller. (required by ins. co. on larger used boats)

Check that engine oil and trans fluid too......make sure it has no water in it.

Willski
02-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Damn ETS, your old boat was in nice shape!

Well i decided tonight to pass on this boat until its warm out and i can drive it. I am glad i posted on here for your guys professional opinions. I've never driven a ski boat before and here i was ready to buy one just from looking at it. I'll keep you all posted if i end up going to see this boat a month from now or when the ice is off the lake.

Paul

I think that was the right decision. 14k seems a little high for the condition. I always have this opinion that if the guy didn't take time to clean it up for sale pictures, then how was it serviced and maintained the rest of the time. Of course if you could pick it up for cheap, and there was nothing major wrong, then you could consider it. I think you can find something better for that price range though.

PocketThunder
02-18-2011, 10:27 AM
Did you get it yesterday???

No. I didnt go.

You've gotta love purple to get that boat!
Resale later because of the color will be tough, so keep that in mind.

Everyone covered all the pros and cons.....how will you water test it in MN this time of year? You have to drive it on a lake, and I would do a leakdown test and/or compression test for sure. Maybe even a marine survey if you can, it will help you negotiate a better price with the seller. (required by ins. co. on larger used boats)

Check that engine oil and trans fluid too......make sure it has no water in it.

I decided to wait another month till the ice is off the lake. Then i can test drive it. In the meantime i saved myself 8 hours of vacation time, a 5 hour drive one way, and $14k.

I'll be taking the kids for a ride on my '73 Yamaha GP338 out on the lake this weekend instead..
Paul

ttu
02-18-2011, 01:39 PM
here are a couple. first one looks to be in better shape and the 2nd one i have seen in person and is very nice but over priced.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1995-MasterCraft-Prostar-205-97787585

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1997-MasterCraft-PS205-97404449

PocketThunder
02-18-2011, 03:14 PM
How about sport nautiques? Are they good boats? For example:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/boa/2211818817.html

Double D
02-18-2011, 05:00 PM
How about sport nautiques? Are they good boats? For example:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/boa/2211818817.html

I was brought up on and still travel in Nautiques. My brother is on his third one. Don't tell anyone but if there was a Sport Nautique available for the similar price when I found my PS 205 I might have gone to the "dark side" as they call it. :rolleyes:

Most MC loyalists on here will slam the boat but they are as good a quality as any MC and sometimes I bit heavier or stronger (less shake). On that year I would check the gel coat real close. When my brother bought his 99 he was told that some of the mid 90's CC's had gel coat problems, like spider cracks.

The GT40 is quality and a strong engine. I would ask for more pictures as it seems to be a bit dirty. The price is also questionable, depending on the overall condition. However, I did find in 2001 when I bought my PS 205 that the CC versions were always around 2K or higher.

My 2 cents....

ttu
02-18-2011, 05:32 PM
here is a nice looking 95. good looking tower and trailer also.

http://springfield.craigslist.org/boa/2145530384.html

PocketThunder
02-18-2011, 06:07 PM
I was brought up on and still travel in Nautiques. My brother is on his third one. Don't tell anyone but if there was a Sport Nautique available for the similar price when I found my PS 205 I might have gone to the "dark side" as they call it. :rolleyes:

Most MC loyalists on here will slam the boat but they are as good a quality as any MC and sometimes I bit heavier or stronger (less shake). On that year I would check the gel coat real close. When my brother bought his 99 he was told that some of the mid 90's CC's had gel coat problems, like spider cracks.

The GT40 is quality and a strong engine. I would ask for more pictures as it seems to be a bit dirty. The price is also questionable, depending on the overall condition. However, I did find in 2001 when I bought my PS 205 that the CC versions were always around 2K or higher.

My 2 cents....

I work with a guy who knows this boat and he said its in mint condition, and its only 20 miles away from me. I called the seller and he was very firm on price right now. I'll wait it out and see, the ice is not off the lake yet.. :D

PocketThunder
02-18-2011, 06:08 PM
here is a nice looking 95. good looking tower and trailer also.

http://springfield.craigslist.org/boa/2145530384.html

I like the dash in that boat better than the 96's and up.
Paul