PDA

View Full Version : can you imagine....

milkmania
02-15-2011, 10:55 PM
driving along at night and hitting a black woman dressed in dark clothing....

video
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7351537n

Ron Grover
02-16-2011, 07:56 AM
I watched, looks like two wrongs add up to tragedy.

Woman walking a bicycle across the road in traffic and not waiting for an all clear.

A driver overdriving their headlights.

SkiDog
02-16-2011, 08:44 AM
I watched, looks like two wrongs add up to tragedy.

Woman walking a bicycle across the road in traffic and not waiting for an all clear.

A driver overdriving their headlights.

Go back and watch the video again. Maybe you'll rethink this statement. Damn it was DARK. I'd have to bet that you'd hit her too! Unless you were wearing night vision goggles!

j2nh
02-16-2011, 09:05 AM
A pedestrian walking in front of a car. 100% the woman's fault. The woman could easily see the car, the driver had very little chance of seeing the woman. Feel sorry for the cop.

scott023
02-16-2011, 09:42 AM
A pedestrian walking in front of a car. 100% the woman's fault. The woman could easily see the car, the driver had very little chance of seeing the woman. Feel sorry for the cop.

Agree 100%. No way the driver can be faulted for this.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-16-2011, 09:43 AM
In most states the pedestrian has the right of way. Not much comfort when you get run over by a cop car.:rolleyes:

scott023
02-16-2011, 09:51 AM
In most states the pedestrian has the right of way. Not much comfort when you get run over by a cop car.:rolleyes:

True enough, but that does not mean the pedestrian doesn't have the responsibility to keep themselves safe when on the street.

Ron Grover
02-16-2011, 10:27 AM
What if it happened to you? If you would have hit the pedestrian when the cop shows up you'd have probably gotten a ticket. not including the lawsuits.

In KS the driver is required to be in control of their vehicle at all times, even in the dark.

scott023
02-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Freaking amazes me that so many put no fault to the pedestrian.

CantRepeat
02-16-2011, 10:32 AM
The pedestrian would of had the right of way if she would have been in a crosswalk. Last I check, YOU got the ticket if you were J-walking. She clearly is in the wrong and like most arrogant people figured everyone would see her and just stop. She paid the price, sorry.

CantRepeat
02-16-2011, 10:33 AM

If you are in a crosswalk you do. In most states it's a crime to J-walk.

CantRepeat
02-16-2011, 10:35 AM
Florida law -

��
�� A pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point
other than a (marked or unmarked) intersection
crosswalk or a marked mid-block crosswalk shall
yield to all vehicles on the roadway [316.130(10)].

JAYWALKING: This commonly used term does not
appear in traffic codes. It is generally understood to
mean crossing a roadway in a manner that violates
traffic law, especially (1) crossing mid-block between
two adjacent signalized intersections and (2) entering
an unsignalized crosswalk when an approaching
driver is so close as to make it difficult for him to take
evasive action.

scott023
02-16-2011, 10:46 AM
The pedestrian would of had the right of way if she would have been in a crosswalk. Last I check, YOU got the ticket if you were J-walking. She clearly is in the wrong and like most arrogant people figured everyone would see her and just stop. She paid the price, sorry.

Exactly right. See it all the time on the streets today. Complete lack of respect for vehicles from pedestrians. It's especially a problem with young, cocky kids.

milkmania
02-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Freaking amazes me that so many put no fault to the pedestrian.

had it been me...
and I rode/walked a bike in the dark, I'd have extra reflectors on my bike, a jacket/shirt with reflective tape, etc.....anything I can to make my presence visible

at night, when I stop my limousine on a busy downtown street to load and unload... although it is a VERY lighted street.
1) flashlight
2) emergency flashers
3) open trunk (reflective tape inside trunk lid)
4) reflective triangle ( I tell my guests it will take me a few seconds longer to exit, since I have to place the triangle)
edit:
5) and a constant eye on what the traffic is doing behind me, changing lanes, etc

EVERYTIME or I don't stop!

now, all this will not guarantee that I will not get slammed into, but I've taken an assertive approach to making myself as visible as possible. think about it.... black suit at night

Police cars/officers get slammed into all the time :(
travel narrow country roads around here..... lots of dumbasses walk along the roadway in the dark in dark clothing.... when I meet a car's headlights, it is very difficult to see someone walking on right side.

bcampbe7
02-16-2011, 01:31 PM

Key statement!

gotta_ski
02-17-2011, 04:56 AM
What's makes this even more sad is that I don't think the cop was watching the road with 100% attention. The car doesn't brake-dive until the last second or two. Maybe looking at traffic, maybe the mirrors, maybe the computer. Maybe if the timing hadn't been just right to catch the officer not looking it could have been avoided. Sad for all involved.

DJ 50
02-17-2011, 05:22 AM
What if it happened to you? If you would have hit the pedestrian when the cop shows up you'd have probably gotten a ticket. not including the lawsuits.

In KS the driver is required to be in control of their vehicle at all times, even in the dark.

I can speak on both sides of that remark both as a cop who has hit a pedestrian with my cop car and as the cop responding to a car hitting a pedestrian, some serious some minor, to include one in a wheel chair. I didn't look to see what the speed of the cop car was but unless he was traveling well over the speed limit he is in no way at fault. Some of you are right by saying that a pedestrian has the right of way in a crosswalk. If not in a crosswalk it is the pedestrians job not to walk out into traffic. Regardless if this is a cop or not the driver would not ever get a ticket in this situation, sued is a diffrent story. Chances are the pedestrian (or thier family) would win that lawsuit because people who have the same thought process like this would be on the jury.

DJ 50
02-17-2011, 05:32 AM
What's makes this even more sad is that I don't think the cop was watching the road with 100% attention. The car doesn't brake-dive until the last second or two. Maybe looking at traffic, maybe the mirrors, maybe the computer. Maybe if the timing hadn't been just write to catch the officer not looking it could have been avoided. Sad for all involved.

Im not sure how fast you think a person reacts but I don't see that the cop had anytime to react. It's very easy to sit back and watch a small clip of a video and say that but it appears the cop is on a highway or at the very least a major road. His speeds appear to be highway speeds and you don't see that woman until the last second. He could have had the fastest reaction time in the world and that woman still would be a hood ornament.

Jet
02-18-2011, 12:51 PM
There was no reaction time possible based on the video. Did you notice that the pedestrian was not moving very fast either, not trying to avoid the car that was coming.

This almost looks like a bad suicide attempt if you ask me.

Feel bad for the driver of that car.

CantRepeat
02-18-2011, 05:29 PM
There was no reaction time possible based on the video. Did you notice that the pedestrian was not moving very fast either, not trying to avoid the car that was coming.

This almost looks like a bad suicide attempt if you ask me.

Feel bad for the driver of that car.

Yup for sure. Topping it off as a cop who only wants to protect and serve I'm sure he isn't feeling to good about it.

I have some very simular experiences from Iraq that ended poorly for non combatants.

kkkeating
02-18-2011, 08:17 PM
When the woman first came into view her white shoes blended in with the white centerline striping, furthering the time to notice her. The bicyclist should of known the car had not seen her.

milkmania
02-18-2011, 09:24 PM
interesting update.....
COLLIER COUNTY — A woman struck by a Collier County sheriff’s deputy’s squad car last week said she was crossing the road in the dark to avoid law enforcement. Cicelia McKinnon, 47, said she didn’t want deputies to see her and ticket her for not having lights on her bicycle.
McKinnon said she doesn’t remember being hit on Collier Boulevard last week. She said she probably didn’t see the deputy because her glasses are broken. When asked how bad her vision is, McKinnon said “It’s pretty bad.”

more here
http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2011/feb/14/collier-sheriffs-office-releases-video-woman-struc/

DJ 50
02-19-2011, 06:10 AM
So do you think she got a ticket or do they chalk that one up to lesson learned the hard way?

scott023
02-19-2011, 08:57 AM
So do you think she got a ticket or do they chalk that one up to lesson learned the hard way?

I hope they ticketed her...

DooSPX
02-20-2011, 08:28 PM
travel narrow country roads around here..... lots of dumbasses walk along the roadway in the dark in dark clothing.... when I meet a car's headlights, it is very difficult to see someone walking on right side.

100% CORRECT!!!!

gotta_ski
02-21-2011, 05:29 AM
Ok, so I went back and looked again and I think you guys are right. Thinking back to the livestock I've hit on the highway over the years (deer, moose, deer, and another deer for good measure) I was Monday morning quarterbacking this one. I didn't have time to react to those, and I wasn't even in traffic, and I swear the deer was looking at me when we hit. I shouldn't be posting late at night after a long shift.