PDA

View Full Version : 99 Maristar keeps bogging down

jcb62
02-15-2011, 06:08 PM
Hi - new to the forum, but long time MC owner. I've been having some problems with my Maristar 210 the last couple summers and was looking for some suggestions. The boat is very well taken care of, pretty low hours ( about 275 I think ) and is professionally serviced by the MC dealer every fall. It's only trailered in and out of th elake at the beginning and end of each season, spends all season on a lift with a cover and usually the mooring cover as well, so it's a clean boat. I love it. Anyway - the last couple summers the boat has started 'bogging down' when under high RPM, usually while pulling a ( big 2 person ) tube. It runs fine at low rpms, starts great...but when the problem starts, it struggles, like it's not getting fuel. It kind of just peters out like it's running out of gas (it never actually completely dies strangely enough, just boggs down to low speed/rpm). I've asked the service manager about the fuel pump and he said the fuel pump is IN the tank (?) how do you service it? I've changed the plugs, and thought that took care of it last summer, but sure enough, it started again late in the season. I had the marina test it in the water, and ofcourse, it didnt happen. I thought at first maybe bad gas, but I get my gas at a reputable dock and even carried in premium a couple times to try that, with no success. Another local guy suggested it's maybe the water/fuel seperator (?)...I'm no mechanic, and have always relied on the marina for service, so not exactly sure what that is... So - anysuggestions or pointers for a distressed owner. I'm stressing about this summer already. Thanks guys!

etduc
02-15-2011, 06:35 PM
When was the last time fuel filter, was changed? Don't assume, the dealer actually did it.

Skipper
02-16-2011, 08:45 PM
Try not pulling the tube?

If that's not the problem, it may be the fuel filter.

jcb62
02-17-2011, 12:07 AM
[QUOTE=Skipper;733017]Try not pulling the tube?

Kids are getting older, so I'm pulling tubes less frequently, but they still want to go occasionally.
Still, I've got to get this figured out. I have a hard time believing a Large Mastercraft dealership couldnt figuremout a fuel filter issue....seems likenthenfirst thing they'd check.

JLeuck64
02-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Take a look at your service records. If you cant find a fuel filter listed on it, then it was overlooked.

What engine do you have in your boat? If it's an LT-1, it will have two fuel filters and those are both external.

jdhunt0
03-05-2011, 11:17 PM
I replaced the in-tank filter in my LTR a couple years ago, where is the other one?

jcb62
03-10-2011, 10:18 AM
I replaced the in-tank filter in my LTR a couple years ago, where is the other one?

how do you replace the in tank filter? Sounds like a huge task!

1redTA
03-10-2011, 10:23 AM
how do you replace the in tank filter? Sounds like a huge task!

I haven't replace a fuel pump on a boat but there are usually filters on the bottom of the pump you can replace, typically only needed when swapping fuel pumps