PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Houston area... Looking for advise.

Cmpdman
02-15-2011, 02:35 PM
Looking to move family to southwest Houston area. What is the boating like? I see Lake Conroe, Lake Houston, Lake Somerville out west. We live in UT and boat in Lake Powell, Bear Lake, etc. MasterCraft dealers in Houston area....

Anyways any information I can get would be great!
Just sold '08 X-45 and got an '11 X-55

Archimedes
02-15-2011, 02:38 PM
No good lakes around Houston. Conroe is an over developed bathtub. Look West towards Austin or to the rivers.

We skiied the San Jac river in Kingwood when I lived in Houston, but it wasn't X-55 type of territory. Very narrow and shallow.

The8Ball
02-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Forget Lake Conroe (OK... but really a busy lake). Lake Livingston. Near the dam, around the island. It is a huge lake. Lake Travis in Austin is also nice... Lake Livingston dwarfs it.

pmkkdx
02-15-2011, 06:38 PM
can't talk much about the Houston area lakes, but 2.5-3 hours away up in the Austin area are the Highland Lakes chain with a number of nice boatable / skiable lakes ... Buchanan, Inks (constant level), LBJ (constant level), Marble Falls, Travis and Austin (constant level) ... there are others in the general vicinty like Georgetown, Belton, Walter E. Long (also referred to as Decker), Canyon ... probably others too that I don't frequent very often ... might make for a weekend trip for you & the family. Just have to use caution on Buchanan & Travis based on the level of the lake as they vary in depth quite a bit, especially during summer months.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
02-15-2011, 07:42 PM
Houston mastercraft went out of business. MC is now with dockside marine a nautique dealer on lake conroe, I ski the san jacinto river in kingwood there are quite a few x2 and xstars out here but nothing larger than 22ft in the river. if you follow the river it will put you in lake houston. Lake can get shallow in some places. Have to watch the jet skis on the south end due to a free boat ramp but its deeper by the dam. You can pm me if you want detailed info on the lakes.

bobx1
02-15-2011, 09:55 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=39520&highlight=houston

Cmpdman
02-15-2011, 11:45 PM
Thanks!!! Now I'm looking at lake livingston that has. Boat /jetsji storage. I would prefer to store to store the boat & metallic by the lake and not havento hall then back to suga,eland. Any suggestions are kindly taken!!!!!

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
02-16-2011, 12:08 AM
Livingston is good and 30 ft deep on avg. about a 2 hr trip to sugarland, pine island blocks alot of the wind so usually can get some skiing/wakeboarding in before it gets busy and the lake gets choppy.

gts-20
02-16-2011, 01:17 AM
We store our PS214 at, and spent most of last summer, on Lake Conroe. Its a great place to tie up and have a good time with friends, but the water sucks unless you get out just after sunrise and leave before 9am, or go out during the week. We want to give Livingston a try this summer, and may also try the Trinity river. Any TT members that could show us around either place this coming season?

WildPeace
02-16-2011, 08:53 AM
We have been to Lake Powell 3 times with a total of over a month on the lake. We also lived in Houston for 8 years and boating was one of our major recreational hobbies. You need to hear the truth...comparing where you have been with where you are going is discouraging if not impossible. You are in store for a rude shock. I suggest selling the new boat and use the money for air travel...I'm just saying!

Cmpdman
02-18-2011, 03:37 PM
After talking to several people in TX, sounds like Austin area. I'm looking at Canyon Lake. Anyone been there? I'll also be storing the boat there and then traveling (3.5 hrs) to get to the lake. I talked with an MC dealer there is was great to talk to. Anyone been to Canyon Lake & what did you think about it?
...Booked one more trip to Lake Powell before we move.

The8Ball
02-18-2011, 06:15 PM
...before you commit to storing anywhere... consider this:

This is what is 'bad': 10 feet, brackish water - Clear Lake. There is ample opportunity to put your boat in all kinds of brackish water, south of the city.

Better: Lake Houston. But very shallow, muddy. But fresh water.

Even Better: Lake Conroe, Lake Livingston. Both 90 minutes away, not hours and hours.

Try them out first... You have an X-55, which is a bigger boat. Chop should not be much of a problem vs. my PS 205 where a 2 foot chop can knock your teeth out.

I learned to ski on Lake Travis and love the hill country. I have parents that live in Austin and Livingston. So... if I want a short trip to a non-brackish lake - Livingston. A much longer trip, Travis.

Bottom line: Lakes north of Houston are not that bad... you may find a much shorter commute for a weekend of fun vs. 3.5 hours... Not like the lakes where you are coming from - but not the end of the world either.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
02-18-2011, 06:48 PM
I agree with 8 ball and the new mc dealer in conroe is eager to earn peoples business. I talked to them a feq weeks back and they seem to be very service minded.

Cmpdman
02-19-2011, 09:22 AM
Thank's for the info.

I'll be in Houston in early March. I'm going to check out Lake Conroe, the MC dealer and then drive to Livingston. My wife read about aligators in both lakes and said "No way. No way am I letting the kids ski with gators" I told her that it's ok & we just need to be careful. That's what I have to sell to her. How is lake Livingston? Marinas? Boat storage? Beach(s)? Water clarity?
Places to stay?

This is tough because I'm comming from a place where a great ski lake is 5 minutes away!

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
02-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Aligators, yes, however I've been in Lake Livingston, Lake Houston and the San Jacinto river for several years and never have seen one. Storage is real good on conroe, some marina's have valet service just call them and your boat is in the water waiting for you to arrive, livingston has storage but not sure about valet service, lake houston has some storage around but only one spot on the lake not sure if X-55 will fit in that storage without folding tower. Water is not clear almost like a stained color, all lakes in TX are man made. If you goto tx parks and wildlife website they have great info on water clarity and wildlife at all the lakes. Livingston is more clear than conroe or houston or the river. The lakes in Austin are more clear than the lakes around houston. There are a few beaches here and there at all the lakes. Lake Livingston also has a state park with cabins and camping grounds.

The8Ball
02-19-2011, 10:45 AM
I am with j.mccreight. There are gators... but... I have never seen one. Should you see one... just watch their eyes. As long as their eyes are just above water - you're good. Should their eyes disappear below water... well... it's time to get out of there. =)

Conroe has the best storage... valet. Livingston does not have valet service, that I am aware of.

Look at google earth - at both lakes. You will see how crowded Conroe can get just by the storage facilities on the lake. vs... almost no one on Livingston, by comparison.

I am going to trailer my boat between Livingston and Travis this season... should I opt for valet storage - for next year... I will probably leave it on Travis vs. Conroe... Or maybe not. I like the idea of being able to go to different lakes... who knows.

TX.X-30 fan
02-19-2011, 01:32 PM
Travis is polluted, rough and crowded with thousands of waverunners..............

TX.X-30 fan
02-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Lake somerville is 1.5 hours from sugarland and best of the stuff around Houston.

RaeRay
02-20-2011, 09:06 AM
I live on Lake Conroe, Shoot me a email when your coming out! My X55 arrives Tuesday, I'm good friends with Dockside Marine(Mastercraft Dealer). If I'm home I'll take you and your famiy out on the lake itself. The lake is very choppy on weekends and windy days... North side is awesome though. LOL gators? I have never seen one. It is nothing like your lakes though.

Factoryeffex224@aol.com