PDA

View Full Version : Removal of X1 Rear Backrest

BHT
02-15-2011, 12:38 PM
Anyone have experience removing the rear seat backrest? Using a mirror I could see bolts on the side up high behind the cushion but how the heck do you reach them to remove the nut?

willowtreexx
02-15-2011, 03:07 PM
taking a wild stab in the dark, any chance you can get to them through the engine compartment? and side ballast areas?

BHT
02-15-2011, 05:23 PM
I tried getting my arm in there from that angle and there's just not enough width in the gunnel.

bbymgr
02-15-2011, 05:41 PM
What if you removed the ballast tanks?

BHT
02-15-2011, 08:25 PM
I have removed the tanks. It's the bolt that's furthest forward that I just can't get a hand on let alone a wrench.

mccobmd
02-15-2011, 09:21 PM
I looked in mine which has the hard tanks out. Could only see the two that are on the back that are easy access. Couldn't find any others.

BHT
02-15-2011, 09:31 PM
Hmmm, I'll have to take another look :confused:

mccobmd
02-15-2011, 09:39 PM
It looks like to me it is all one molded piece with the vinyl attached to it. The bolts were at about the place where the seat begins to curve on the side. I felt up there but didn't feel anything else. I did think it was strange that only 2 bolts hold that whole piece.

shunra
02-16-2011, 07:19 PM
There is a lot more than 2 bolts that hold that seat back on.

The forward most bolts are the hardest. If I remember correctly there are two on each side that are on the forward most part of the seat back. On the wrap around part. One of those two felt impossible to get, but I was able to do it by reaching up under the gunwale. I could *just* reach it with a wrench. It was slow and painful work. The remaining nuts were easy to remove in comparison.

After I removed the seat back I was left wondering if I would be able to get it back in or not. After having it recovered, I did re-install and it was just as bad if not worse replacing it.

I know, not much help, but it can be done. Maybe find someone with long arms to help?

BHT
02-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Those are the 2 bolts I'm referring to. Man I tried reaching under the gunwales and gave up, impressed you could do it. The reason I'm wanting to remove it is to have better access for checking the prop shaft alignment.

shunra
02-17-2011, 07:11 PM
I don't know how much removing the seatback will help you. That cushon just bolts to the fiberglass behind it.

You might find it more usefull to remove that small piece of floor in the middle of the boat and also remove the seat BOTTOM. That is a much easier job and it opens things up quite nicely.