PDA

View Full Version : X25 versus XStar.....input?

KYX
02-15-2011, 09:49 AM
The CincyMC crew put on a great boat show in Lexington, KY this weekend, and potentially opened my eyes to the X25. Currently, we have a 2007 XStar, but are now considering an X25. Anyone have much experience in both of these boats? We are the typical weekend warriors that love to wakeboard in the morning, surf and swim in the afternoon w/ the kiddos, and see what happens in the evening. On any given weekend, we will have between 4-10 people (mostly adults w/ a few groms). Our previous boat was a 2001 x30, which we loved because of all the floor space and storage. Thoughts????????

Willytown
02-15-2011, 10:14 AM
First, you are working with the right crew. Cincy MC is doing some great things in our area. I own an Xstar and have spent quite a bit of time in a x-25. The x-25 is huge inside compared to the xstar. It has a lot of new features that weren't thought about with the x-star as well such as deeper v-hull for rough water, seats in back and most importantly an awesome factory wake without needing to add a bunch of extra weight. The x-25 is a brilliantly designed boat imo...

willyt
02-15-2011, 10:14 AM
I've spent a good amount of time on both boats

You'll have the typical pros of the xstar, just absolutely amazing wakeboarding wake. The cons of a star... not great in rough water, less capacity, surf wake is... ok (I’ve ridden a star LOADED, surf wake was huge but the pocket was very short, still fun to surf).

The 25 is great in rough water, surf wake is amazing (yes.. you do need extra ballast if your going to surf this boat, just like every other boat), and the 25 can fit 11-12 people comfortably. Honestly, we really never loaded up the 25 when I rode behind it, just filled the center tank with 8 or 10 people and the wake was amazing. This is a huge advantage over the star, which you really have to load down to get that amazing wake. If the star has a 10 out of 10 wake when loaded, I’m sure you could at least get the 25 up to a 8.5-9 out of 10 (and I know some people actually prefer the 25's wake, as it’s a little more poppy). The thing I still don't like in principal about the 25 is the locker access... although, functionally, when I’ve spent time on it, it’s never been an issue (guess I still don’t like the idea of those...) Those flip up seats are pretty cool too...

Personally, if I had that kinda money burning a hole in my pocket, it'd be the 25.

Alas, It will probably be several years before I can pick one for myself up however. Can always dream right? I guess I'm not extactly roughing it with my X2 right now however...

Willytown
02-15-2011, 10:17 AM
go back to work Will. your boss is looking over your shoulder :)

KYX
02-15-2011, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the input so far.

vision
02-15-2011, 12:13 PM
WillyT summed it well. He also has one of the best looking original X2s out there, but then I am biased.

The other difference to consider is width of the wake. It is a wider wake. So if you have beginner riders, you will have to run a really short rope if you ride at lower speeds.

The X-star does has the advantage of being one of the best looking boats at rest in the water.

If MC would swap our the stock back locker and engine cover for a std 3 door cover, then the boat would be perfect. Working on the engine and access to the storage areas is compromised on the x25, all for what I consider a pair of useless pop up seats.

It will be interesting to see what the 2011 X-star will have for a hull and layout.

ShawnB
02-15-2011, 12:23 PM
Beginner riders were one of the biggest considerations that brought me away from the XStar and towards the X25. At 18mph I was able to get a very clean wake with no foam out of the X25 with a wake plate. For my kids this is key. For what it's worth, the X2 also was able to do this but it was so much smaller inside. The XStar didn't clean up until about 21 mph and there was no wake plate to adjust with.

Personally I would have been ok with either of them but I'm not the only one who rides behind the boat. I did happen to enjoy riding the poppy wake of the 25 though -- it was very similar to the X2/X1/205v/orig. XStar. The current XStar with stock ballast just wasn't as fun for me.

KYX
02-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Upon first glance, my biggest complaint is the complicated engine cover/rear facing seats. I'm not sure I prefer the rear seating over the big, plush back pad of my XStar. I know my wife prefers the current set up (for laying in the sun) over the seating. Who knows, maybe this will be corrected and the new selling point for the 2012's. I love Mastercraft, but it's kinda like Apple: Gotta leave something to be desired to sell next year's model.

vision
02-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Upon first glance, my biggest complaint is the complicated engine cover/rear facing seats. I'm not sure I prefer the rear seating over the big, plush back pad of my XStar. I know my wife prefers the current set up (for laying in the sun) over the seating. Who knows, maybe this will be corrected and the new selling point for the 2012's. I love Mastercraft, but it's kinda like Apple: Gotta leave something to be desired to sell next year's model.

I agree. It would be interesting to measure the compartment area of the x25 versus say an X35. They may be the same and if so, I bet MC would build an X25 with the traditional 3 hatch compartment access if you ordered one. Heck, in theory it should be slightly less expensive.

ShawnB
02-15-2011, 01:23 PM
With the filler cushion installed you should still have a big sunpad but the little doors for the rear lockers do leave a lot to be desired. We ordered the plug-and-play ballast so nothing will be stored in there anyway.

brucemac
02-15-2011, 01:34 PM
when your kids crawl over the X-25 rear seats folded down does it put undo stress on the vinyl seat backs? in other words does it squish them and have potential for early wear? haven't seen one yet up close in person, but the thought crossed my mind.

KYX
02-15-2011, 02:27 PM
when your kids crawl over the X-25 rear seats folded down does it put undo stress on the vinyl seat backs? in other words does it squish them and have potential for early wear? haven't seen one yet up close in person, but the thought crossed my mind.
Good question. That is certainly a possibility, but w/ the new vynil they are using, I'm not sure how soon it would happen. The new material feels great and is supposedly near bullet proof. Time will tell.................

KYX
02-15-2011, 02:31 PM
With the filler cushion installed you should still have a big sunpad but the little doors for the rear lockers do leave a lot to be desired. We ordered the plug-and-play ballast so nothing will be stored in there anyway.
The plug-and-play ballast system looks nice. We keep the XStar lockers full of 400# fat sacs, but still have plenty of valuable storage space (vests, ropes, wetsuits, illegal immigrants.....). I wouldn't be real anxious to give up 100% of my storage locker.

Willytown
02-15-2011, 02:36 PM
One thing to consider for storage is the huge area under the passenger side bench, that area is a lot bigger than the xstar and is hinged which is nice...

willyt
02-15-2011, 03:55 PM
(vests, ropes, wetsuits, illegal immigrants.....)

Hey,
I'm in mexico city right now for work. I know many people here who would love a little boat ride in a storage locker if that means it could get them in the US... for a little fee.

Might want to consider the revenue from human trafficking in the decision too :banana:

As for work... I always have 5 or 10 minutes here and there when my computer is locked up because my analytics programs are running. Talking about boats is more fun anyway. Vision... you the original owner of my boat? I know brian bought it from someone in NC...? Should see her after the 2 coats of wax I put on her this weekend...

Second the recommendation for the Cincy MC crew. All great people.

Willytown
03-07-2011, 09:48 PM
ShawnB,
Do you have the MCX, illmor 5.7 or 6.0 in your x25? Is the mcx or illmor 5.7 enough engine in the x25?

nicvtx
03-08-2011, 02:46 AM
******* sorry guys just saw the other thread, i jumped on excited to find out about the boats and didnt bother to look.****** pictures would still be appreciated

hi guys

im currently a malibu vtx owner and after seeing the x25 at a boat show i immediately fell in love!

so after spending about an hour sitting in the boat checking it out i really want one.

We are hardcore wakeboarders, dont own a tube dont own any skis, we are after the best wake possible, ive heard the x25 has the best stock wake available now.
and im wondering if its the same deal with an x star?

after seeing the virtual test drive on wakeboardmags website im a little scared away from the xstar, the wake didnt look big at all? so im a lil confused haha

any info on these 2 boats would be great guys. id really appreciate if you could help me convert :p

and i would really appreciate wake pics! these pics would most likely make my decision.

thanks guys.

chippy1971
03-08-2011, 04:14 AM
It all depends, in the video that you watched it might not have had any ballast on board the xstar.

I can tell you that if you want a big wake it will not get any bigger then the xstar for factory wake and ballast.

Now if you go with the x25 ( my personal fav ) you can always add ballast bags if the wake is not big enough.

I promiss you the video is not doing it justice. I have an x15 and when I ski behind it I wish the wake was smaller. When my kids want a bigger wake I will just fill the stock and additional bags I have in the boat and we go from big to huge.

Any that is my two cents.

2RLAKE
03-08-2011, 06:11 AM
I drove an X25 last fall, fully loaded with the new Illmor 6.0 and it was significantly faster than my neighbor's X25 with the MCX .... either way you will be happy ... no bad choice

ShawnB
03-08-2011, 07:52 AM
ShawnB,
Do you have the MCX, illmor 5.7 or 6.0 in your x25? Is the mcx or illmor 5.7 enough engine in the x25?

Ilmor 5.7 with the high altitude prop. Very anxious to try it out

Willytown
03-08-2011, 08:12 AM
Thanks guys! does anybody know if the torque curve on the 5.7 illmor is improved vs. the mcx? The mcx with the right prop works great in the xstar but 25 is wider and deeper.