PDA

View Full Version : I fell more in love with my S&S today...

MakeMineaS&S
02-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Had my first pull of the year just a couple hours ago, but not behind my boat.

I am a SCUBA instructor at a university here, and I joined the school's ski team since I wanted more water time and actual lessons and training. Myself and a couple of members wanted some "Polar Bear pulls", so we hit the water this morning. I was in my 5/4mm diving wetsuit with hood and gloves.

The school's boat is a '08 Malibu Response. I was pretty excited to be pulled by a boat built in the 21st Century, since I've only skied behind my S&S.

After a few false starts while I knocked the rust off and found my groove, I made a few passes and played around.

And I realized I liked the wake on my 26-year old boat better than the wake on this modern boat! :D

The old S&S wake is harder on the outer edges, but inside, it's smooth, side-to-side. This wake was soft on the outside, but had a really hard bump right in the middle. Not bad at all, but not a Mastercraft. :cool:

Nonetheless, it felt GREAT to be back on the water. Can't wait for it to get warmer and get more time. Still working on technique, but every time I'm out, I get a little better.

Jeff Lyman
02-14-2011, 01:15 PM
I had just the opposite experience behind the Response. I like its smooth soft wake entry and exit especialy in the course. I've skied many times behind 2 of them a 97 and 99. Also skied even more behind newer and older MC'S seems the older they get the harder the wake.The difference being so slight would not make me sway away from an MC at all. Driving is a diffrent story the MC tracks and drives through a course much better. When driving the Response I find my self always on the edge of my seat correcting the direction, not fun. But I'm not picky a pull is a pull!

Still looking at ice here, your luckly.

kingwoodlee
02-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Nonetheless, it felt GREAT to be back on the water. Can't wait for it to get warmer and get more time. Still working on technique, but every time I'm out, I get a little better.[/QUOTE]

Ditto on that!

gatorguy
02-14-2011, 01:51 PM
Should be 78F by Thurdsay here. I think I'll be getting the boat out. I may have to re-winterize it, but I don't care. I can't take this winter any longer.

broncotw
02-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Hey MakeMineaS&S where are you located? Sounds VERY familiar to the school I attended which also had a ski team and offered SCUBA lessons... If so, I would love to get together for some skiing this spring and summer....

aquaman
02-14-2011, 04:47 PM
I also attended a school like that in Texas. The inter-collegiate water ski team was a blast.
Many Texas schools had active ski teams. Does anyone know if the programs have survived?

MakeMineaS&S
02-14-2011, 05:55 PM
Hey MakeMineaS&S where are you located? Sounds VERY familiar to the school I attended which also had a ski team and offered SCUBA lessons... If so, I would love to get together for some skiing this spring and summer....

I'm at Texas State in San Marcos, just south of y'all Burnt Orange folks. :D

I'm bringing my S&S down here in the next month or so and de-winterizing it for spring, so whenever you wanna go, lemme know.

The school uses a private ski lake, but I'm open for suggestions for good skiing down here. The closest lakes are Canyon and Travis. I hear there's good skiing at Canyon, but I haven't been out there yet for skiing. Dove it, but not skied it.

broncotw
02-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Go Bobcats!!! I left you a message......

remiller
02-15-2011, 02:46 PM
This lake is connected to 6 others bigger & smaller. Lake Minneola,Fl.