PDA

View Full Version : Gas Shock/Springs

CantRepeat
02-14-2011, 09:45 AM
I needed to replace the gas springs on my observer seat. I'm not sure if other people have looking for the source of them but here is a link.

http://www.spdhardware.com/catalog/list.asp?id={FD677C08-6417-4A4C-9551-C52741324413}

This page list the lengths and pressure of the shocks so you can go up on the pressure if you like.

The shock listing my take a few seconds to load.

jvbaca
02-14-2011, 04:51 PM
I just got mine at autozone instead of ordering online. Took mine off, went to the store and got almost the exact same size with better pressure.

Shooter McKevin
02-14-2011, 05:14 PM
I had a terrible time finding the right ones for my observer seat and glove box (especially the little one in the glove box, only a 7lb'er I think). Tried: My dealer (useless as usual), NAPA, other auto parts stores, RV dealers... and more.

Found what I needed here Moore Industrial Hardware (http://mooreindhardware.thomasnet.com/viewitems/door-checks-gas-springs/gas-spring?forward=1) Had no issues with them. I ordered on line and they showed up, just how it's supposed to work.

CantRepeat
02-14-2011, 05:24 PM
I just got mine at autozone instead of ordering online. Took mine off, went to the store and got almost the exact same size with better pressure.

I probably could have check there but 9 times out of 10 the girl behind the counter can't find squat and they don't have books for me to look in.

The link is to the ones that MC put on my boat at the factory so I figured I'd put those back on just go up 10 lbs on them.

Shooter McKevin
02-14-2011, 05:29 PM
At NAPA she (probably the same girl, she spans the continent) told me they "will not" look up gas shocks by size and pressure, only by make and model (of car).

pram
02-14-2011, 06:46 PM
I took mine right off, now the seat flips vertically, stays there and gives me better access to under the bow

robin
02-14-2011, 10:25 PM
bought mine here last year.
http://www.backtoboating.com/Scripts/allsprings.asp
very helpful, easy to follow on line instructions, and i got a little heavier ones for the to hold it up a little better.

Thrall
02-14-2011, 10:50 PM
At NAPA she (probably the same girl, she spans the continent) told me they "will not" look up gas shocks by size and pressure, only by make and model (of car).

Need to find a better Napa!:D
Heck I just got new diff cover gaskets for my '74 Jeep at Napa.....and they were in stock.

east tx skier
02-14-2011, 10:55 PM

My NAPA is manned by the same crew as were there 10 years ago when I first moved here. Extremely helpful and have dug up a lot of compatible boat parts for me over the years. No problem getting gas shocks for either my MC or my current boat.

Qualifications for NAPA must vary.

Shooter McKevin
02-15-2011, 02:11 PM
Need to find a better Napa!:D
Heck I just got new diff cover gaskets for my '74 Jeep at Napa.....and they were in stock.

My NAPA is manned by the same crew as were there 10 years ago when I first moved here. Extremely helpful and have dug up a lot of compatible boat parts for me over the years. No problem getting gas shocks for either my MC or my current boat.

Qualifications for NAPA must vary.

I specifically went to NAPA first because the TT community seems to have good luck there.

Qualifications for NAPA DO vary.

Also, good link robin. I bookmarked that one.

Table Rocker
02-15-2011, 02:19 PM
NAPA stores are franchises, so there can be a big difference from store to store depending on the owner.

Shooter McKevin
02-15-2011, 02:26 PM
I took mine right off, now the seat flips vertically, stays there and gives me better access to under the bow

Mine didn't stay up like yours, it would just fall on my head when I accidentally knocked out the paddle I had holding it up.

I'm glad to have the new springs in there now.

Some info for anyone else who's replacing them... My observer seat had 2 - 30lb springs originally. I decided to get 40lb springs for better lifting. I was kinda paranoid that this would be too much but think I actually could have gone to 50lb as it is still a little soft. Obviously it will vary depending on your boat but I thought I should share what I experienced

jdeml
02-17-2011, 07:22 PM
i have a 2004 xstar and both my shocks on the engine/ sunpad (middle section) were bad when i bought the boat. was wondering what lb to go with??? what comes standard? please help