PDA

View Full Version : Rudder port removal

grimsweeper
02-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Any tips for removing rudder port? I have removed the 4 bolts,I am guessing it is a two part assembly with silicone sealant between,which is holding it together. This is on an '04 ps197 I am upgrading rudder to '06 tt version, and the shaft on newer rudder is slightly larger(goes in 1/2 way,very hard to turn). I am going to see if it can be honed to new shaft diameter;if not I'll replace it. Thanks in advance.

ncsone
02-13-2011, 10:36 PM
Grim -

That is the first I have heard about the rudder port sizes being different. I did the same upgrade on my '05 and it was a drop-in scenario. Several other people on here have done the rudder upgrades as well, to my knowledge no one has had to change the port out as well.

If that is indeed the case, my guess is that that is not silicone sealant, but is instead some type of adhesive such as 3M 5200 (most likely) or 3M 4200. If it is 5200, you will have to add some heat to the adhesive to get it to soften up. I have heard of some people using a hair dryer, but a heat gun might be more effective.

grimsweeper
02-13-2011, 11:23 PM
Thanks, I'll try heat tomorrow. IIRC there was a post about an '03 that had to replace rudder port- it does look different from newer ones.

kingwoodlee
02-14-2011, 12:33 PM
I recently changed out my 05 x-10 rudder port and rudder. My original rudder port did not come with a grease fitting and the previous owner never greased it. It was pretty worn, and it also did not fit the new larger style rudder I was changing over to. As far as removing the original rudder port, it was a real PITA. I first heated it up with a heat gun, and then proceeded to pound a lumber 2x4 from the topside with a sledge hammer. I mean, I pounded the crap out of it and it finally came loose. I made sure I did not use 5200 when installing the new one. Good old silicone works for me.

bigmac
02-14-2011, 01:05 PM
MasterCraft has used at least three different rudder port configurations that I know of. They can vary from boat to boat even within the same model year.

There are a variety of rudder change-out threads here back from when the '06's came out with a larger surface area. Many people went to change their '03, '04, '05 rudders to the '06 version only to find out that it wouldn't fit. I had not trouble in my '04 230VRS, whereas I know of others with the same boat that had to change the rudder port too.

A search here will bring up a lot of info on this problem.

bturner2
02-14-2011, 02:05 PM
You may want to call someone at OJ or Skier to Skier to see if there's another one you purchase with the right shaft diameter. The next option might be a trip to a machine shop to get it turned down.

Shooter McKevin
02-14-2011, 03:08 PM
The other threads had me wondering if an 06 rudder would improve my handling (I have the winged rudder) and I am assuming that my 2000 190 has a smaller port.

This may be a dumb question but couldn't you have the rudder post machined to match the port rather than change the port?

ncsone
02-14-2011, 03:52 PM
If you machine it to a smaller diameter, I would think that there is a chance that the steering arm will not clamp to the rudder shaft.

Shooter McKevin
02-14-2011, 03:59 PM
If you machine it to a smaller diameter, I would think that there is a chance that the steering arm will not clamp to the rudder shaft.

I would then just use my existing tiller arm, no?

Shooter McKevin
02-14-2011, 05:26 PM
This may be a dumb question but couldn't you have the rudder post machined to match the port rather than change the port?

The fact that I missed bt2's post made it a dumb question, even if it wasn't to begin with!

grimsweeper
02-14-2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks all, I called OJ's today, they said all the shafts should be the same; I think a replacement port was ~$200, I am going to see if the port can be enlarged-the inside appears to be bronze, should be easier to work with than stainless steel shaft. BTW if any on wants one the curved type rudders I have an extra one that has keyway on wrong side for my boat,machine shop wanted almost as much as I paid for it to machine another keyway.

Shooter McKevin
02-15-2011, 12:38 PM
BTW if any on wants one the curved type rudders I have an extra one that has keyway on wrong side for my boat,machine shop wanted almost as much as I paid for it to machine another keyway.

Can you post a picture?

macattack
02-15-2011, 02:14 PM
Thanks all, I called OJ's today, they said all the shafts should be the same; I think a replacement port was ~$200, I am going to see if the port can be enlarged-the inside appears to be bronze, should be easier to work with than stainless steel shaft. BTW if any on wants one the curved type rudders I have an extra one that has keyway on wrong side for my boat,machine shop wanted almost as much as I paid for it to machine another keyway.

I believe there is a rubber type seal inside the rudder port, so I am not sure you can enlarge the inside diameter of the port w/o messing up the integrity of the seals ??? If OJ said all the shaft diameters are the same, then I guess I am confused on why your new one does not fit:confused: The picture below is the port on my 2005 PS197; I also swapped to the 2006 rudder with no problems. I did send my port back to OJ to add a Zerk fitting to make it easier to grease the shaft...mac

grimsweeper
02-20-2011, 11:21 PM
A $20 heat gun from Northern Tools made it easy to remove port, I am going to order new version tomorrow, don't like messing with a mission critical part. Measured the shafts-original= 1.124",new= 1.129. The port is different from one posted by Macattack, I guess '04 and earlier have to be replaced when upgrading. Shooter- here's the pictures,rudder in center is one with keyway on wrong side. Send a pm if you want it, also have matching port...