PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Nashville...

Silverdawg
02-13-2011, 01:02 AM
...this summer. Looking for ideas for marinas on Percy Priest, or potentially Center Hill Lake. I have not looked at either lake yet, but want to keep it fairly close, as I will be living in the Brentwood/Franklin area. I know Priest is close, but I hear Center Hill is a much better lake.

I would appreciate any advice on the local marinas or great links to find out about how to navigate both of these lakes. I hear there are more stumps and rocks in the TN lakes than those they have here in TX.

I keep my X45 on a lift in a covered slip, so that is what I would be looking for. Any advice would be appreciated. I have plenty of time to go check them out as well.

1redTA
02-13-2011, 07:10 AM
welcome to TN, I am curious as well. I go to the Tenn river/ land between the lakes for now. The Cumberland is a no no the sewage treatment plants were dumping raw sewage into it after the flood

bcampbe7
02-13-2011, 09:08 AM
I would go with Center Hill.

As far as stumps and rocks, yes they are there but only come into play along the shoreline and shallow water. Stay out of those areas and you will be fine.

BIGBADBLUE
02-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Center Hill all the way. We live in Franklin and can make it to Huricane dock in 1hour and 15 minutes. Just make sure you do not live on the west side of Franklin because traffic will kill you.

No issues with stumps at all at CHL and I have been there 20 years. Sometime floating logs in the spring but you just need to watch that in early spring.

Check out huricane Boat Dock. I keep mine on a lift and it is covered.

PM me if you need anything about the area or CHL.

YTW
02-13-2011, 10:27 PM
We go to Priest more because it is so close, but Center Hill is a much nicer lake and well worth the trip. The key to Priest in learning the original river channel. I'll be glad to show you around.

samgreazy
02-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Priest is crowded but is vey close. I just got a slip at hurricane
Marina on chl. It is the nicest lake Around by far and hurricanes amenities are the nicest. Chl is a little bit of a drive but it is worth it.

gid
02-16-2011, 10:10 AM
welcome to TN, I am curious as well. I go to the Tenn river/ land between the lakes for now. The Cumberland is a no no the sewage treatment plants were dumping raw sewage into it after the flood

Really?! I live on the Cumberland River in Nashville. The Flood (back in May) did create some water issues, this is a RIVER and is actually very clean.
If you seek very smooth water, nothing hidden under the water to hit and less people then come to the river.

ShamrockIV
02-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Center hill. priest is dangerous for nice boats. center hill is deep and alot cleaner and full of fine mastercraft owners!! (bigbadblue I am not including u in that statement!!) lol

HDAVIS
02-16-2011, 09:15 PM
I agree, Center Hill lake is the best. I live very close to "Priest" but never go there. Heard too many bad stories. I hear it is nasty and dirty. I also understand there are many shallow places in Priest. You really don't have that problem at Center Hill.

Creeklife
02-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Center Hill is a very clean lake with many coves that are great for wakeboarding/skiing. It's also very deep and you'll have no problems in that area. I grew up going there and have visited friends on both sides of the lake. Cove Hollow near the dam is my favorite!!!!!!

1redTA
02-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Really?! I live on the Cumberland River in Nashville. The Flood (back in May) did create some water issues, this is a RIVER and is actually very clean.
If you seek very smooth water, nothing hidden under the water to hit and less people then come to the river.

I am at Ft.Campbell/ Clarksville, not Nashville and the river on my end has quite a few logs floating in it.

Silverdawg
08-09-2011, 01:34 AM
Okay, getting closer to actually taking the boat to Nashville. We will be in south Franklin when our house is done. From what all of you have said, and what the folks at the office have said, Center Hill is the way to go. I will eventually, most likely end up there. I may keep it local for the remainder of this season and get a slip our there for the start of next season.

My question is now, which Marina.....Center Hill, Hurricane or Edgar Evins?

gid
08-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Okay, getting closer to actually taking the boat to Nashville. We will be in south Franklin when our house is done. From what all of you have said, and what the folks at the office have said, Center Hill is the way to go. I will eventually, most likely end up there. I may keep it local for the remainder of this season and get a slip our there for the start of next season.

My question is now, which Marina.....Center Hill, Hurricane or Edgar Evins?

Edgar is close to I-40, about 2 miles once off the interstate.

IF you want to see the Cumberland River just let me know. Best kept secret for glass water around.

volunteerwatersports
08-09-2011, 08:04 PM
I live in south Franklin as well. I go to all the major lakes around the area, except Old Hickory,(to dirty, to much stuff floating and to shallow). I go to Percy Priest a lot when we do small 4-5 hour trips. There are shallow areas, but once you learn the lake, there are lot of places to board and play that are safe. I love Center Hill, it is deep and quite a large lake and really beautiful. Tim's Ford is another lake that is about the same distance as Center Hill that is a great lake to go to as well. If you would like me to show you the lake at Percy Priest, would be happy to do that, and it always fun to hook up with another MC owner. AS far as your question, no comparision, Hurricane.

Silverdawg
08-10-2011, 01:41 AM
@GID..I went out on my buddy's Chris Craft on Old Hickory and it was filled with logs. It was about two months ago after the rains, so that is probably why, but it scared the chit out of me from taking my boat out there.

@volunteer...Thanks. I am actually going to look at condos they are building there by Hurricane when I get back to TN.

gid
08-10-2011, 03:44 PM
@GID..I went out on my buddy's Chris Craft on Old Hickory and it was filled with logs. It was about two months ago after the rains, so that is probably why, but it scared the chit out of me from taking my boat out there.

@volunteer...Thanks. I am actually going to look at condos they are building there by Hurricane when I get back to TN.

After heavy rains there are logs - The Cumberland receives its water from: Percy Priest, Old Hickory, Cordell Hull, Dale Hollow to name the big lakes. If there is any debris it will stay in a channel. Since the flood in 2010 the Cumberland has been clean and nice.

ShamrockIV
08-10-2011, 04:03 PM
we have been going to center hill for over 30 years.
have had houseboats at very marina on the lake.
we r currently at edgar evans out on the wavebreak dock.
holler at me when u get in town and we can show u around our fine lake!!

cav14
08-10-2011, 04:26 PM
We go to Cordell Hull, always glass and same distance from Nashville as Center Hill, but not as "high culture" as Center Hill. When not there we just put in at the Commodore Yacht Club on the Cumberland, and that is almost always smooth. Very rarely is there traffic, occasionally debris if it has rained recently, but that happens anywhere.

gid
08-10-2011, 04:40 PM
We go to Cordell Hull, always glass and same distance from Nashville as Center Hill, but not as "high culture" as Center Hill. When not there we just put in at the Commodore Yacht Club on the Cumberland, and that is almost always smooth. Very rarely is there traffic, occasionally debris if it has rained recently, but that happens anywhere.

What boat do you have? I do see a lot of MC on the Cumberland (and lately very new Wakesetters - due to the music folks) on the water.

cav14
08-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Red 2002 X-Star with NVS speakers on the tower. I've been out a few times with buddies in the afternoon skiing or wakeboarding, typically west of Commodore. I've only seen a few prostars out, but a lot of Wakesetters.

NashCraft
08-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Welcome to Nashville!

I just bought a boat (x-25) and keeping it Edgar Evins. I couldn't be happier. It's close to Nashville. The service has been great. (I am leasing a lift for now. The slip I wanted had a 4500lbs lift, they swapped it for a 6500 in a matter of days at no cost.) You have the Caney Fork River right there for some evening trout fishing and canoeing. It is in a 6500 acre park with cabins and camping spaces, as well as hiking trails.

Anyway, they are all good options.

Good luck.