PDA

View Full Version : leaky oil drain hose

dowhat
02-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Had a "warm" day today so I lowered the bow with the trailer to drain any rain water out, I noticed a good amount of oil in the water. I pulled the cover off and checked the oil dip stick and there was just a smidge on the stick. i know it was full when I winterized it 4 months ago cause I changed the oil and checked.
I STUFFED my self in the engine compartment and it seems the leak is coming from the oil drain tube at the pan. i tried to tighten it but it was tight.
My question is how hard is it to replace the bung/washer from the pan to the tube since I assume thats the problem. Its an awefully tight squeeze in there!
06' X-30 MCX350

CantRepeat
02-12-2011, 03:06 PM
What about putting some teflon tape on the brass fitting that screws into the pan?

I find it hard to believe the leak is from the pan hole. If you've not removed that before I do not think it would develope a leak.

matt
02-12-2011, 06:59 PM
It's tight, but I solved that problem by going to your local hydrulic hose shop and having one made with a good crimped fitting. It is not cheap, but neither are engines. When you call, make sure they carry metric fittings, some of the smaller shops don't.

dowhat
02-13-2011, 08:58 PM
The problem is you cant get down in the engine compartment far enough to see the bottom of the pan. I didnt see any leaks around the pan gasket and everything else underneath felt dry. The only place I get oil off of is the plug.
Im gonna remove the brass plug tomorow and try the teflon tape idea and check the hose /plug connection.
Thanks

Table Rocker
02-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Also, pull the hose up and tie it to something where it is sticking up alongside the engine. If the plug on the end of the hose is above the oil level it won't leak.