PDA

View Full Version : Duramax in a Suburban/Yukon XL?

Jerseydave
02-09-2011, 08:46 PM
Man if wish GM would get on the ball and build these!
Benz and BMW already have diesel SUVs........c'mon GM.....think of the demand in europe for these! (OK, just build it for me!)

Anyone have any knowledge if this will ever happen? I'm tired of getting 10 mpg pulling the boat behind my 6.2 liter Yukon!

milkmania
02-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Interestingly, Ford Excursions have diesels......

ski_king
02-09-2011, 10:48 PM
GM built a diesel Surbaban for a while, but stopped producing them, not sure why, but I am guessing they didn't sell enough to make it worth while. I had a friend who had one and put over 250K miles on it until the body gave out.

Here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Suburban-1999-Chevrolet-Suburban-2500-DIESEL-45-892-miles-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3364e70a20QQitemZ22073 6195104QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks) is one on Ebay.

Jerseydave
02-10-2011, 03:53 AM
Interestingly, Ford Excursions have diesels......

Ford has not made the Excursion in many years, 2005 was the last year I think.

I believe there is a market for these large SUVs with diesels (boat haulers, campers, horse trailers, etc.) A suburban and a pickup have the same front, the duramax should be a perfect fit.

flipper
02-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Ford has not made the Excursion in many years, 2005 was the last year I think.

I believe there is a market for these large SUVs with diesels (boat haulers, campers, horse trailers, etc.) A suburban and a pickup have the same front, the duramax should be a perfect fit.

The body is different though, so stuffing the tranny under there may make for a challenge

H20BOY
02-10-2011, 09:35 AM
I spoke with a GM exec a few weeks ago about this very thing. They have developed a 4.6L (I think) diesel for the half ton suburban. The project was almost completed right when they were going thru the financial trouble and bailout so it was put on hold. According to him it got 30+ mpg in a suburban.

liledgy
02-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Not to hijack this thread but, I have a 03 2500 suburban 4x4 and a 04 2500 silverado 4x4. When I was looking at a avalanche they told me I could only get the big block in the 2500 series. I thought how stupid, most 3/4 ton trucks come with the 6.0 liter so if your going to only offer 1 motor offer the 6.0. Anyway I passed and bought the cheaper silverado.

ProStar190Fan
02-10-2011, 10:54 AM
There used to be a company which sold their stuff on ebay a while back called duraburb. They took 2500 yukon xl/suburbans and put diesels in them.

milkmania
02-10-2011, 11:51 AM
There used to be a company which sold their stuff on ebay a while back called duraburb. They took 2500 yukon xl/suburbans and put diesels in them.

I once read about a guy that was dismantling the 2500 DMax trucks and using the front ends, hoods, mounts, etc to add to the Suburban of the same year model.
seems like he had to use a small body lift too

really a professional transformation

ProStar190Fan
02-10-2011, 12:24 PM
I once read about a guy that was dismantling the 2500 DMax trucks and using the front ends, hoods, mounts, etc to add to the Suburban of the same year model.
seems like he had to use a small body lift too

really a professional transformation

Yes they did need a body lift, it was only 1 or 2 inches which made it look really good as you said.

Forrest-X45
02-10-2011, 03:45 PM
Yes they did need a body lift, it was only 1 or 2 inches which made it look really good as you said.

Yup - Duraburb is the one guy doing the conversions out of Florida. You can google or go directly to youtube and look up his videos. I would love one if I ever needed to replace my truck.

He uses the 2" body lift to make room for the Allison since it is too wide for the Burb frame. He usually takes a donor truck and a 2500 burb and coverts everything over. I like his tow package which takes the AAM rear axle outta the donor 2500HD and fits it under the burb and then adds a EFI Live or other tuner and rates the towing capacity at 14K pounds or more. Sweet rigs but expensive.

The better solution is to get GM off their arse and just release the 4.5L baby dmax in a Burb. It is posturing play by GM, Ford, Dodge to see who releases their small diesel first. They each have ready but no one whats to be the first to market. The general belief is they are all worried the smaller diesel will steal sales of the much more expensive HD diesel sales.

milkmania
02-10-2011, 05:29 PM
Yup - Duraburb is the one guy doing the conversions out of Florida. You can google or go directly to youtube and look up his videos. I would love one if I ever needed to replace my truck.

He uses the 2" body lift to make room for the Allison since it is too wide for the Burb frame. He usually takes a donor truck and a 2500 burb and coverts everything over. I like his tow package which takes the AAM rear axle outta the donor 2500HD and fits it under the burb and then adds a EFI Live or other tuner and rates the towing capacity at 14K pounds or more. Sweet rigs but expensive.

The better solution is to get GM off their arse and just release the 4.5L baby dmax in a Burb. It is posturing play by GM, Ford, Dodge to see who releases their small diesel first. They each have ready but no one whats to be the first to market. The general belief is they are all worried the smaller diesel will steal sales of the much more expensive HD diesel sales.

well, they need to realize the "soccer mom" demographic isn't going to reduce it's size any time soon:rolleyes:
and just think of all the utility companies that could use it, fire departments, limousine stretches
our local PD is switching over to Tahoes from crown vics, impalas, etc....

I think a lot may be due to how the "farm Tag" thing has developed..... ever see a cherried out Pearl White Cadillac Escalade with a farm tag on it? I have:(
I'm on the fence over the farm tag thing...... my suburban can pull a horse trailer, hay trailer, and go to the feed store.

milkmania
02-10-2011, 05:34 PM
kinda off topic, but the need is out there for the Duramax Burb & Hoe
compare the longevity of an idling gas burner vs. diesel

local PD got 10 "outfitted" Hoes for around $24,700 each.....

Vincentric, a company that studies long-term wear on vehicles, found that the Chevy Tahoe topped the Chevy Impala, Ford Crown Victoria, and the Dodge Charger in overall value.
http://www.5newsonline.com/news/kfsm-fort-smith-police-get-fleet-of-122910,0,3989729.story

Dan K
02-10-2011, 06:19 PM
I feel GM believes that there is a poor business case for putting together a Duramax Burb, the issue with the clearance for the Allison tran is one item then there is crash testing, clearance for the radiator etc..The Duramax drivetrain is the best out there right now for any tow rig but I think the marketing folks don't believe the numbers would be big enough for a business case.

Jerseydave
02-10-2011, 06:38 PM
I spoke with a GM exec a few weeks ago about this very thing. They have developed a 4.6L (I think) diesel for the half ton suburban. The project was almost completed right when they were going thru the financial trouble and bailout so it was put on hold. According to him it got 30+ mpg in a suburban.

That sounds like a good build.....I have time to wait it out if and when GM decides to build it. In the meantime I was considering a used Excursion but the 6.0 diesel scares me.....lots of problems reported with those engines I heard. My gas-powered Yukon is good for now!

Forrest-X45
02-10-2011, 06:55 PM
For some reason the big 3 are worried about the soccer mom image of a diesel. Stinky and dirty....which isn't the case anymore at all so the ancient image of a diesel would hurt sales in their eyes with 1/2 ton trucks. The marketing folks need to do a better job promoting the clean diesel image and how they darn near drive a like a gasser. BMW finally did that during their Superbowl add I thought it was great. With more marketing around clean running diesels that get close to 30 MPG would sway people's image.
The only hurdle remaining would be the extra up front purchase price over a comparable gasser Burb.

JDK
02-10-2011, 07:21 PM
.The Duramax drivetrain is the best out there right now for any tow rig

Fell out of my chair laughing....8p

TX.X-30 fan
02-10-2011, 09:02 PM

It is by far:confused::confused:

TX.X-30 fan
02-10-2011, 09:03 PM
I feel GM believes that there is a poor business case for putting together a Duramax Burb, the issue with the clearance for the Allison tran is one item then there is crash testing, clearance for the radiator etc..The Duramax drivetrain is the best out there right now for any tow rig but I think the marketing folks don't believe the numbers would be big enough for a business case.

Too bad it would be very cool to see that pairing.

Hrkdrivr
02-10-2011, 09:23 PM
We have an '04 Excursion with the "6.oh-no" diesel. Had the turbo replaced under warranty and just dropped about $1200 for a fuel injector control module (re-soldered the guts of that part myself once already 10 months ago...just delayed the inevitable).

With the price of diesel the way it is and not forecast to come down (remember when it was cheaper than gas?), I'm seriously thinking about trading it in on a gasser.

I always said if GM put a diesel in a 'Burban I'd probably get one, but now I'm thinking about a Tundra. Pulls as much as my excursion, wheel base is similar, better mileage (lower $/mile) and rides better.

Jerseydave
02-11-2011, 08:53 AM
I think another nice pairing would be to take a Dodge Durango and use the Mercedes diesel and drive train out of a Dodge Sprinter work van. My buddy has one and gets over 20 mpg.

Because of initial cost of a diesel option in a truck, plus higher fuel prices, plus more expensive oil changes/fuel filter changes it only makes sense to own one if you drive over 25K miles/year IMHO.

JohnE
02-11-2011, 09:30 AM
I think another nice pairing would be to take a Dodge Durango and use the Mercedes diesel and drive train out of a Dodge Sprinter work van. My buddy has one and gets over 20 mpg.

Because of initial cost of a diesel option in a truck, plus higher fuel prices, plus more expensive oil changes/fuel filter changes it only makes sense to own one if you drive over 25K miles/year IMHO.

I only get 16 mpg from my sprinter with the 6 cyl. diesel. But truck w/ cargo weighs about 9k lbs so that must affect mileage.

Dan K
02-11-2011, 01:29 PM

Back your rig to mine and let's see who laughs. Check out any RV forum, the Duramax and Allison Transmission is saught after.

dummy
02-11-2011, 01:39 PM
We have an '04 Excursion with the "6.oh-no" diesel. Had the turbo replaced under warranty and just dropped about $1200 for a fuel injector control module (re-soldered the guts of that part myself once already 10 months ago...just delayed the inevitable).

Maybe a bit off-topic for this particular post, but $1,200 for a FICM is a lot. FYI - I installed a 58V version of this in my buddy's F-350 about 5 or 6 months ago when his FICM went out. Signs are excessive cranking, hard starting, and poor cold-weather performance. Swapped right in and has been working beautifully. He picked up slightly noticeable power and 1.5mpg.

http://www.swampsdiesel.com/xtcommerce/product_info.php?info=p728_Heavy-Duty-rebuilt-58v-FICM-for-6-0L-Power-Stroke.html

cf_koch
02-12-2011, 07:41 AM

With the price of diesel the way it is and not forecast to come down (remember when it was cheaper than gas?), I'm seriously thinking about trading it in on a gasser.

I always said if GM put a diesel in a 'Burban I'd probably get one, but now I'm thinking about a Tundra. Pulls as much as my excursion, wheel base is similar, better mileage (lower $/mile) and rides better.

I have just made the switch from a 2000 Excursion to 08 Tundra Crew Max and have not regretted it one bit. Power to spare and very strong breaks. The fit and finish is much better as well.

Jerseydave
02-12-2011, 08:04 AM
Well after visiting the dealer yesterday, a fully equipped Sierra Denali crew cab diesel has an MSRP of over $61K.

I'm going to hold on to my '07 Yukon XL Denali......she rides and drives great!

JohnnyB
02-12-2011, 09:16 AM
We tend to drive our vehicles into the ground and I wouldn't have thought twice about a diesel considering the $$ we already spent on the '08 burb we just bought. I do have to say that the gas engines have some longevity as well. In my recent history:

'98 Tahoe 5.7L - Bought at 0 miles, 220K miles and counting. My plow truck for my driveway.
'99 Suburban - Bought at 32k miles, 223K miles when the tranny died. Sold it to a guy for 3K. He put a tranny in it for $1100 and its his daily driver.

Can't be the pulling power of a diesel though....

Hrkdrivr
02-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Maybe a bit off-topic for this particular post, but $1,200 for a FICM is a lot. FYI - I installed a 58V version of this in my buddy's F-350 about 5 or 6 months ago when his FICM went out. Signs are excessive cranking, hard starting, and poor cold-weather performance. Swapped right in and has been working beautifully. He picked up slightly noticeable power and 1.5mpg.

http://www.swampsdiesel.com/xtcommerce/product_info.php?info=p728_Heavy-Duty-rebuilt-58v-FICM-for-6-0L-Power-Stroke.html

Yep. It was spendy. ~$850 for the part and the rest was labor. I had probems with it early last summer. The voltages were low so I pulled it out and resoldered the problem areas inside. Voltages restored to 48V. Started having issues with it again and I got into a time-crunch. I needed it fixed quickly and wasn't sure if the aftermarket FICMs came programmed or not, plus I couldn't even wait for one to arrive in the mail. Even if I got the part from Ford and put it in myself it still would have needed to have been programmed by them...ugh. To add insult to injury, there was a $150 core charge if i wanted the old FICM back to mess with, like upgrading the voltages...sheesh.

Hrkdrivr
02-12-2011, 10:59 AM
I have just made the switch from a 2000 Excursion to 08 Tundra Crew Max and have not regretted it one bit. Power to spare and very strong breaks. The fit and finish is much better as well.

A buddy of mine at work has an '06 or '07 Tundra Crew Max and I can't believe how much nicer it rides, and the fit/finish is much better like you said. I definitely have Tundra-envy.

I wish they built an SUV on the Tundra frame. The Sequoia seems to be their biggest SUV and its wheel-base is only 122 vs 145.7 for the Tundra. I don't have much use for a pickup but I use the enclosed space of the Excursion with its three rows of seats and large cargo area quite a bit.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
02-12-2011, 03:22 PM
I dont see diesels being put into suv's anytime soon. The government keeps changing the CAFE standards on diesel engines, gm and ford had plans for this, gm went bankrupt and ford was going to use the land rover diesel until they sold rover off.

Dad 2 3
02-13-2011, 12:04 AM
J.MC nailed it on the head. The price of diesel is up, sales of new diesel engined vehicles are down, ultra low sulfur diesel isn't available in the US, the engines now are either hotter burning, need regular exhaust filter changes, or urea injection and often times more than one of the above. Some of these changes are calling for radiators which are in some cases 30% larger in volume. Take a look at any mfg's current model year diesel and compare to the same rig 10 years earlier. It's staggering to see the added on equipment (which translates into cost) and the standards are tiered so the regualtions will continue to become more stringent every few years.
Margins are shrinking on diesel vehicles and the R&D to make it happen is large. It's pretty easy
to understand why the big 3 aren't making diesel SUV's. My spidey sense tells me that with all of the money engine manufacturers are putting into R&D to make them compliant they will be forced (necessity is the mother of all invention) to revolutionize the diesel engine so its exhaust doesn't need to be treated.

As an example, here's an article on Cat spending 1 billion (yep billion) to pass Tier IV compliance.

http://www.pjstar.com/business/x687633687/Cat-spending-billions-to-meet-Tier-4-emission-standards-by-2011

If you don't have to buy a diesel for the next few years, I wouldn't (and I'm a diesel fan). For any of you who are old enough, what's going on with diesels is equivalent to 1975-76 gas cars with the change of points to electronic ignitions. Remember the controls they used in the beginning to make all that work (air pumps, catalytic converters, egr valves, etc...) and the reliability issues which followed? It took a few years to get things mainstream to be effective and reliable.

Jeremy S. Davis
02-13-2011, 06:50 PM
ULSD not available in US? I seem to get it everyday. I have an 08 duramax, the first year for the DPF exhaust. It may lay down tomorrow but so far so great! I've got 98,000 on it after just 27 months of use and zero problems. I don't run hot, haven't had to clean my exhaust. Granted my fuel economy isn't what my 01 Cummins gave me. 15 MPG now vs.21 outta the cummins . I now have much more power and an automatic tranny. Not that I need the power I have it is nice from time to time. With the Urea injection on Ford and GM MPG is up as well as power(HP and torque ) And they are much cleaner burning than a gasser. Would a Burbon with a Duramax be good - yes - is there a market out there probably not.