PDA

View Full Version : Wet Sounds XS650

samgreazy
02-09-2011, 03:30 PM
Does any one know anything about these speakers? ie are they loud? clear? they are relative cheap and I wanted to see if anyone had any and how they were

brucemac
02-09-2011, 09:19 PM
i've heard plenty of positives with the right rms power behind them. i didn't buy them because they don't have a component set alternative and it would leave a deralict hole where the stock tweeters are installed. i would have also had to enlarge the mid-driver wholes. i went with polk mm6501's over JL because they dropped in without cutting and i was able to press-fit the tweeters in my existing clarion tweeter cups. tons of other options out there though.

wetsounds1
02-10-2011, 12:07 PM
sam,

feel free to email me at twhite@wetsounds.com and I can see if we have a dealer near you so you can take a look and listen.

The XS-650 have monster output. We built them with a larger magnet and motor structure so they have tons of mid bass. They also have a 1 inch pure titanium tweeter. The current versions have a standard 5 inch cut out so they are a drop in replacement for most marine speakers.

Couple of other notes on the build. True component style coax so grille mounted tweeter for sealed cone mid bass and No worries of water down a pole piece like a typical coax. We also thermoform the cone and surround to create a un breakable bond, so no glue. The spider is rubber instead of cloth. Sealed magnet, salt water resistant tinsel leads, nylas frame.

Sorry I could ramble on. But the best thing to do is see if we can set up a demo so you can hear them. I have 5 pairs in our demo boat and i do demos with the subs off and people think there is a sub playing! But then I hit them with the two XS-XXX and really shock them

Tim
Wet Sounds

TallRedRider
02-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Does any one know anything about these speakers? ie are they loud? clear? they are relative cheap and I wanted to see if anyone had any and how they were

I have had them and am very pleased. If my boat did not have 7.7 inch speakers, then I would have considered them.

They like to have a full 100 Watts RMS.

Wetsounds customer service is terrific. I think as long as you don't ruin them, returning them might be a pretty easy thing to do if there is no local dealer for you.

brucemac
02-10-2011, 12:42 PM
yeah tim and crew are top notch. lol he shows up. glad i didn't say anything bad, eh tim!

i should have added, i'm running a Wetsounds Syn6, a Syn4, a WS420 and a pair of Pro 80's. terrific products.

wetsounds1
02-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks.

I know Bruce, you told me to come over to TMC and help out. So here I am! Sorry it took me so long. LOL

Tim
Wet Sounds

stewvette
02-10-2011, 01:00 PM
Has anyone tried enlarging the holes of the 6.5 clarion to accept the 7.7 JL's? Is there enough room to go that big?

shunra
02-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Another shout out for Tim and his customer service. It is second to none. I have had a few chances to deal with both Tim and Gyver (his technical support guy ). Both have been outstanding. Tim hooked me up with a local dealer (in Canada) that knew what they were talking about, and I was able to demo and compare the Wetsounds stuff. He helped me pick out a system that meets my needs, and I have been very happy ever since. I would take his advice and get him to find a local dealer.

I currently have 4 pro80s on the tower and a WS420. In the boat I still have the stock clarions. I would like to replace them this year and I have also been considering the XS650 especially now since I don't have to modify the cut out.

I basically have the same boat ase Bruce so the same problem with the tweeter holes. Bruce how big is the hole behind the clarion tweeter cup? I am trying to get a feeling for how hard it would be to fill.

brucemac
02-10-2011, 01:20 PM
shunra, it's maybe 3/8in or 1/4, but the bummer is, there's also a screw hole right next to it for securing the tweeter cup to the gel. sure wish tim would come out with seperates!

TallRedRider
02-10-2011, 05:55 PM
shunra, it's maybe 3/8in or 1/4, but the bummer is, there's also a screw hole right next to it for securing the tweeter cup to the gel. sure wish tim would come out with seperates!

How unusual would it look to just leave the tweeter in place with no power to it, and the wires cut off the back? If it wouldn't look too bad, that is an option too.

Wouldn't look as bad as a hole in the gelcoat.

stewvette
02-10-2011, 06:12 PM
I was also thinking of leaving the tweeters in and just disconnecting them. I think it will look OK as long as the grilles on both are similar looking.

wetsounds1
02-10-2011, 08:02 PM
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fmini_tubes.htm

I always thought it would be cool to use a LED puck light where the tweeter was. This is just one place. I have seen some 1 inch led lights that with a little fab work would go right in the hole. I think that would be a cheap and custom way to replace the components with a coax and make use of the tweeter hole

Tim
Wet Sounds

brucemac
02-10-2011, 08:11 PM
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fmini_tubes.htm

I always thought it would be cool to use a LED puck light where the tweeter was. This is just one place. I have seen some 1 inch led lights that with a little fab work would go right in the hole. I think that would be a cheap and custom way to replace the components with a coax and make use of the tweeter hole

Tim
Wet Sounds

or you guys could just release one ;)

problem solved!

wetsounds1
02-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Lol....

Tim
Wet Sounds

medicmoose
02-10-2011, 08:43 PM
or you guys could just release one ;)

problem solved!

I would definitely go for that! So am I hearing correct that the factory speakers in my 2008 would be 7.7" and the WS 650's would be too small??

wetsounds1
02-11-2011, 11:18 AM
I would definitely go for that! So am I hearing correct that the factory speakers in my 2008 would be 7.7" and the WS 650's would be too small??

Yes the factory has a 7.7 component. So the XS-650 would be too small.

Tim
Wet Sounds

shunra
02-11-2011, 12:43 PM

Tim
Wet Sounds

Tim, that is an excellent idea. I think I have a solution.

BIGBADBLUE
02-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Holy smokes ... these guys do have excellent Customer Satisfaction.

I just emailed Tim and he responded really quickly with the help I needed. 2 thumbs up for Wet Sounds!!!

stewvette
02-11-2011, 01:14 PM
Tim
Do you guys sell a speaker that will fit in the 03 MC tower cans the 6.5s.

wetsounds1
02-11-2011, 03:59 PM
pretty sure the 03 cans came with a regular 6.5 inch speaker. So any of our coaxs should drop in. They have a 5 inch cut out and 7 inch OD on the grille so you can double check.

We have the 65 series which is the XS-65-S in silver open grille with silver cone and XS-65-B in silver open grille with black cone. And the SW-65-W white closed grille and SW-65-B black closed grille.

Also, we have the 650 series which is the XS-650-S in silver open grille with silver cone and XS-650-B in silver open grille with black cone. And the SW-650-W white closed grille and SW-650-B black closed grille.

The 65 series are 60 watts rms and a great mid level speaker.

The 650 have a larger magnet and motor with 100 watts rms and a 1 inch titanium tweeter.

So for a tower application, I would use the 650 series in whichever color or style you prefer. But the 650's have the punch and bright tweeter to cut through the wind and noise. not to the level of our HLCD of course but they work great on the tower for those that want some good sound and volume

Tim
Wet Sounds

bturner2
02-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Holy smokes ... these guys do have excellent Customer Satisfaction.

I just emailed Tim and he responded really quickly with the help I needed. 2 thumbs up for Wet Sounds!!!

X2 on customer service. I had a problem with my grills last year and they hooked me up no questions asked. Based on my experiences with their products and service I highly recommend Wet Sounds.