PDA

View Full Version : Ski Storage?

h2oskifreak
02-09-2011, 01:25 PM
I wonder if I need to worry about the way I store my ski. I built a dowelled ski rack in the garage 10 years ago. It's dowells at a slight pitch covered with foam covers (cross sectioned "noodle" float). I "rotate" the skis end to end and flip them every month or two. I store older skies leaning in a corner. My question is; should I be concerned at all about a carbon fiber type ski flexing or am I doing fine as long as I flip them? Is flat storage better?

Jeff Lyman
02-09-2011, 03:35 PM
My 2 cents no reason to worry or rotate them. Carbon once totally cured months after produced should not change shape. I understand the automotive side so ski stuff ?????

TXMC-06X2
02-09-2011, 03:37 PM
I wonder if I need to worry about the way I store my ski. I built a dowelled ski rack in the garage 10 years ago. It's dowells at a slight pitch covered with foam covers (cross sectioned "noodle" float). I "rotate" the skis end to end and flip them every month or two. I store older skies leaning in a corner. My question is; should I be concerned at all about a carbon fiber type ski flexing or am I doing fine as long as I flip them? Is flat storage better?

This is kind of off topic from your question, but when you built the racks how did you get the dowel rods at exactly the same pitch? Is there a special drill bit that you can use?

Jeff Lyman
02-09-2011, 03:46 PM
I bet an angled drill press? Just my 3 cents sorry just sitting hear bored to death healing my knees.

TXMC-06X2
02-09-2011, 03:54 PM
I bet an angled drill press? Just my 3 cents sorry just sitting hear bored to death healing my knees.

Is there anyway to do it that precise if you do not have access to a drill press?

gatorguy
02-09-2011, 04:00 PM
How about some pictures. I was thinking of doing the same thing in my garage.

I don't think there is much risk of the ski changing shape with modern construction material and techniques. If anything it's better than laying it flat on the floor since it would only be supported in one spot of the curve of the ski.

h2oskifreak
02-09-2011, 04:06 PM
This is kind of off topic from your question, but when you built the racks how did you get the dowel rods at exactly the same pitch? Is there a special drill bit that you can use?

Yes, angled press. Trim carpenter went all out for me in my garage w/ shelving and built-ins.
I suppose a person could build a brace and get pretty close by hand.

OK, sounds like not to be worried.

Willski
02-09-2011, 05:09 PM
I don't think the ski will move much under its own weight.

cdstukey
02-09-2011, 05:26 PM
I used the vinyl/rubber dipped ladder hangers from HD. Mark your uprights predrill and screw 'em in. Just about the perfect width for most skis. I hang all the life jackets off the white bar at the bottom.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k165/cdstukey/skirack.jpg

Skipper
02-09-2011, 09:33 PM
The rafters in my garage are exposed. I store the skis on their sides on the rafters above the boat. In the boat I lay the skis on their sides.

nomo
02-11-2011, 12:40 AM

I was never much good at the angle drilling, better straight in! Just use 2 x 2s, and a table saw, pick the angle you want and cut them all the same. Notch the rails about 1 inch deep, cut the post angle to match, pre drill and screw from the back. Just make more than you think you will need, because you always get more stuff!

Table Rocker
02-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Is there anyway to do it that precise if you do not have access to a drill press?
Take a block of wood (2x4 is fine) and drill your angle hole through the block on the 2" side. Use that block as a drill guide for your other holes. It's not a drill press, but it should beat freehand by quite a bit.

TXMC-06X2
02-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Thanks Guys. I appreciate all the feedback

epnault
02-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Wow you guys are over the top. I just purchased my first MC last winter and all the gear to have fun. I have all my gear stored in my boat. Do you think my skis and boards are going to be ruined?

Jeff Lyman
02-11-2011, 01:18 PM
NO! I did that for many years and never a problem even stored outside. Ski materials should not be effected by temps. Although this would be a good question for GOODE they seem to know everything at that camp. Great products to. My Connley F1X is at 2 below about now standing on its tail!

thatsmrmastercraft
02-11-2011, 02:09 PM
The skis and wakeboards won't be bothered. I would keep life vests and wetsuits inside to keep them from getting musty and to keep moisture out of the boat. Skis on the carpet all off-season will compress the carpet. Ropes are best laid flat indoors somewhere. That said, my boat is completely empty.

barefoot
02-11-2011, 03:35 PM
I keep my ski in the living room. Seriously. Right next to the wife's.

SpryBeast
02-11-2011, 03:40 PM
The rack pictures on here made me think of the ones I found. I have 2 sets and they work really well.

http://www.sub9gear.com/index.html

BTW, no affiliation w/ them.

nomo
02-11-2011, 11:28 PM
Wow you guys are over the top. I just purchased my first MC last winter and all the gear to have fun. I have all my gear stored in my boat. Do you think my skis and boards are going to be ruined?

As you can see from all the posts, there is no right or wrong way. But, if you can get the boards, skis, whatever out of the boat when your boat is in the garage or storage, it reduces the chance of mildew. Plus it makes working on other parts of the boat much easier. Good luck!

h2oskifreak
02-19-2011, 01:57 PM
My ski is too kind to me to leave it in high or cold temps. In my opinion storing in the boat not a good idea for a few reasons, but specifically not in extreme temps. Take care of the ones you love.

wheelerlake
02-19-2011, 10:49 PM
I used to leave my skis in the boathouse until I discovered the mice think the bindings are a good place to play house! Now the skis all get a place in the basement (toobs, too). My wooden O'brien from when I was 15 (now considered an antique) gets a place in the guest bedroom year'round with the rest of the old things;). All life vests get hung from the rafters in the garage above the pontoon boat to prevent mildew and mouse houses there, too. The older tow ropes have to be handy as they're used occasionally to tow sledders behind the snowmobiles!