PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Atlanta

Tags
02-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Hey Guys,

Well, my wife, 10 month old daughter and I are packing up and moving from Australia to Atlanta. I've been offered a great job there and we had planned to move back (born in Columbus, OH) for quite some time. We're leaving in a couple of weeks so im busy trying to pack up the house, sell the car, the boat and jump on a plane.

Are there many members here in Georgia? Whats the skiing like?

If anyone knows someone in Australia who's looking for a nice clean X7 with low hours let me know.

Mike

CantRepeat
02-08-2011, 09:47 PM
Welcome home Mike.

Tons of guys in northern GA. I'm sure a few of them will be in shortly.

josepcedwards
02-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Im only 30 min north of ATL! Welcome! Awsome lakes in this area. You will enjoy it!

Tags
02-08-2011, 10:36 PM
we're very much looking forward to it. We're looking to rent then buy in either Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, Marietta, Alpharetta, Roswell. Any comments on these areas? Anything worth noting?

josepcedwards
02-08-2011, 10:57 PM
we're very much looking forward to it. We're looking to rent then buy in either Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, Marietta, Alpharetta, Roswell. Any comments on these areas? Anything worth noting?

If you want to be close to the lake I would say Marietta. All the places you listed are beautiful. What part of Atlanta are you working in?

milkmania
02-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Hey Guys,

Well, my wife, 10 month old daughter and I are packing up and moving from Australia to Atlanta. I've been offered a great job there and we had planned to move back (born in Columbus, OH) for quite some time. We're leaving in a couple of weeks so im busy trying to pack up the house, sell the car, the boat and jump on a plane.

Are there many members here in Georgia? Whats the skiing like?

If anyone knows someone in Australia who's looking for a nice clean X7 with low hours let me know.

Mike

can you bring a Holden Ute back with ya ?

Kummer
02-08-2011, 11:13 PM
There is a course on Lake Alatoona that is a part of the Atlanta waterski club http://www.awsc.net/ - Holiday Harbor Marina is a nice facility and closest to the lake. Check out http://lakeallatoona.net/ email Eric Williams with any questions... ewilliams1@lakeallatoona.net

Lake Lanier is a larger and more populated lake... that is up I85 / and GA 400 very recreational and very busy...

Those are the most popular but there are other options in north Georgia that are excellent options as well... This should at least get you started...

josepcedwards
02-08-2011, 11:49 PM
Carters lake is awesome as well. Its 5 min from my house and during the week its like uncharted waters.

Tags
02-08-2011, 11:54 PM
can you bring a Holden Ute back with ya ?

haha....if you want to waste your money, yes :)

Tags
02-08-2011, 11:55 PM
If you want to be close to the lake I would say Marietta. All the places you listed are beautiful. What part of Atlanta are you working in?

I'm working out of a home office but will travel both within Atlanta and out of state quite frequently.

Tags
02-08-2011, 11:55 PM
There is a course on Lake Alatoona that is a part of the Atlanta waterski club http://www.awsc.net/ - Holiday Harbor Marina is a nice facility and closest to the lake. Check out http://lakeallatoona.net/ email Eric Williams with any questions... ewilliams1@lakeallatoona.net

Lake Lanier is a larger and more populated lake... that is up I85 / and GA 400 very recreational and very busy...

Those are the most popular but there are other options in north Georgia that are excellent options as well... This should at least get you started...

Thanks for all the info :)

milkmania
02-09-2011, 01:05 AM
haha....if you want to waste your money, yes :)

aw man, don't tell me they're the Ford Pinto from downunder :(

timvan
02-09-2011, 07:23 AM
you may also want to look at Acworth, Allatoona is right there and its about 40 min from downtown

davidstan
02-09-2011, 08:12 AM
I live 30 min south of ATL and yes many lake options. We go to lake Wedowee in AL just over the line, 1.5 hours from ATL. Not a busy lake like some of the others. Welcome to the South, you will like. Research the schools closely though as some of the school systems closer in are getting ready to lose accreditation or have lost accreditation due to school board chaos. Good luck on the move!

atlfootr
02-09-2011, 08:34 AM
wife, 10 month old and I are moving to Atlanta.
Any members here in Georgia? Whats the skiing like? Congrats Mate!
If your a barefooter it's GREAT! If not, we'll teach you!
Got a house for sale, few miles North just outside the city ....

atlps190
02-09-2011, 12:41 PM
We have a weekend place on Lake Arrowhead...full time house in Roswell.

http://lakearrowheadga.com/

Some folks actually do live up there and commute into town. It's a "private" community (not a ski lake), so you have to own property there to use the lake. Not many ski boats...more of an older crowd with pontoons.

Be happy to talk to you about options.

-T.

CantRepeat
02-09-2011, 12:42 PM
BTW: I'm about 90 miles south of all you guys so no more pissing in the rivers!!

David4MCSammyDuvall
02-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Welcome to Atlanta ! I've lived in Atlanta, Georgia for 15 years now. There are several lakes out here in Georgia. Lake Lanier in Gainesville, Georgia is quite busy, chopped waters, risky water level up and down, even dry up and public use of lake. Its located about an hour and half up north of Atlanta. Jackson Lake in Monticello, Georgia is a big lake, not busy as Lake Lanier, chopped waters, average water level and public use of lake. It's located about one hour southeast of Atlanta. Norris Lake in Snellville, Georgia is a private lake. Smooth water, perfect for waterskiing, small lake. Very MasterCraft community out there. It's about 30 minutes drive out east from Atlanta. Lake Allatatoona, Lake Hartwell, Lake Blue Ridge, Carter's Lake are great lakes all over Georgia. Nice to drive around and try different lakes....

SunCoast 83
02-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Crate and Ship that X-7!!! Save yourself the hassle of finding another one

Tags
02-09-2011, 10:39 PM
so it looks like i'll have no trouble finding a place to ski then :) It would be great to be able to catch up or have a ski with some of you in Georgia. Our friends base will be almost nil upon arrival.

The X7 is worth a lot more here than it is in the states so its worthwhile selling here and buy again upon arrival in GA.

Tags
02-09-2011, 10:44 PM
aw man, don't tell me they're the Ford Pinto from downunder :(

i've never been a fan of them. Most people don't buy them for the purpose of having a 'ute' or 'pick-up', they've become a status symbol but imo a stupid one at that. 99% of them are sold with the tray area having carried nothing more than maybe case of beer every now and then. Also, they're useless if you have a boat or tow anything that weighs anymore than 1600kgs (3500lbs), they're not legally allowed to tow any more than that. ok i'll jump off my soapbox now :)

cmw
02-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Thought I would share my two cents. I have lived in and around Atlanta for many years. I think it is a great place to live, but it has gotten a little crowded. I have lived in Marietta for most of those years., first time as a kid in the 70's. I moved to Acworth, but hated fighting the traffic and moved back to Marietta. One of the major reasons for staying in East Cobb is the schools. You can get to both major lakes pretty easily and if you want a less crowded lake, it is not much more of a drive. My wife loves Carters lake. Good luck with the move and I would happy to answer any questions that would help you. Great time to buy a house.

Dawg
02-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Good luck and God's speed in the move. Shout when you get settled. I can give you the tour in the Water Skiers Paradise of western North Carolina. Multiple TVA lakes close together. 2 with little to no homes...just glass, 1hr. 45min. northeast of metro ATL.
Be Safe!

jamica joe
02-10-2011, 03:28 PM

We also live in Marietta... Great schools. Traffic sucks all over Atl. we spent 3 years looking for lake property... Lanier, Blue Ridge, Sinclair, Oconee, Carters all good and for the most part clean. All within 1.5 hours of Atl. We ended up buying on Wedowee (just across Alabama line) for smaller crowds and cleaner water. Great place fairly small lake only approx. 13,000 acres. Not a lake that is much into barefootin, but there are a few hydrofoilers around. they have boat limits (no boats with heads) so no bluewater or houseboats around. Very family oriented!!

CantRepeat
02-10-2011, 03:40 PM
We also live in Marietta... Great schools. Traffic sucks all over Atl. we spent 3 years looking for lake property... Lanier, Blue Ridge, Sinclair, Oconee, Carters all good and for the most part clean. All within 1.5 hours of Atl. We ended up buying on Wedowee (just across Alabama line) for smaller crowds and cleaner water. Great place fairly small lake only approx. 13,000 acres. Not a lake that is much into barefootin, but there are a few hydrofoilers around. they have boat limits (no boats with heads) so no bluewater or houseboats around. Very family oriented!!

So no X55s or X80s allowed there?

davidstan
02-10-2011, 08:45 PM
So no X55s or X80s allowed there?
I am on Wedowee also and never see the big boats out there but it is a big MC lake when you don't count the bass boats. Some real nice coves for slalom and not a busy lake due to being in the middle of nowhere. Very country and super low crime rate due to being situated a fair distance from urban areas of GA and AL. Real nice!

Tags
02-11-2011, 01:56 AM
Sounds like GA is a lovely place to live. Once we're settled it'd be great to catch up for a ski or even just a drink. We need to make friends all over again :)

timvan
02-11-2011, 07:42 AM

Hell yea its very family oriented :D....I especially loved the family of teenage girls on Memorial day that flashed me full frontal and then the bend over from a pontoon.. Gald I dropped my son at the dock before. No complaints, had to circle back for more!

Really though it is a great calm lake.

Jerseydave
02-11-2011, 09:46 AM
I'm interested in Ga info as well......we may consider moving there in 10-12 years.
We'd be looking for lakefront, so any specific lakes come to mind that are not over-crowded but yet within 1 hour of Atlanta?

Jeff Lyman
02-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Atlanta, Ha yes.... like race cars go to AMS Atlanta Motor Speedway. Get a NASCAR speed rush check out Randy Bakers driving school, Speed Tech. when not boating.

davidstan
02-11-2011, 08:51 PM
I'm interested in Ga info as well......we may consider moving there in 10-12 years.
We'd be looking for lakefront, so any specific lakes come to mind that are not over-crowded but yet within 1 hour of Atlanta?

10 or 12 years? Well, in that amount of time there may be substantial ocean front opened up down here so keep your eye on ss series:D

Wake Faller
02-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Welcome to ATL.....

We live on the south side of town Peachtree City area and have a place on Lake Sinclair.

The traffic is not so bad and really convenient to the Airport (25 min regardless of traffic) as I travel frequently also. If you are flying alot, you will want to consider where you locate - I personally would go postal if I had to traverse Atlanta on a regular basis.

We looked at all the lakes in the area in 2005 and 2006 and settled on Sinclair as there is much fee simple property (not leased lots) available, the prices are reasonable, and the water level is constant (18" daily fluc) year round (ie no dirt ring). That means fixed boat houses which you can do a lot with.

All of the lakes in the area are nice but many get really, really busy. I grew up on Allatoona but wouldn't consider riding it on a weekend in less than a 25' hull - much less getting behind it.

Again, welcome - with all of us in the area, we should start an Atlanta Mastercraft Club - trouble is we seem to be somewhat spread out.

Duane D
02-25-2011, 12:44 PM
Welcome to GA!! I live in Cumming north of the ATL and only 10 mins from Lanier. Lanier can be very busy, but if you go north on the water it smooths out and gets much calmer. We dock on the south end of the lake but head immediately north on the weekends. I have an '06 X2 and it can handle most of the rougher areas just fine. The other thing you need to learn to like living here is college football - the good kind (SEC) instead of that crappy Big 10 football from Ohio ;)! Someone else mentioned schools earlier and I would echo that. Research and choose wisely!

Duane D
02-25-2011, 12:45 PM
One more thing...we have one of THE bost MC dealerships in the country here. Mike D and Johnny at Watersports Central will take great care of you!