PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen these board racks before?

stewvette
02-08-2011, 03:54 PM
I sold my x-9 a few months back and I just picked up a x-star last week. It has these ratcheting board racks that I have not seen before. I was trying to find out if anybody has had any experience with them. Should I replace them? Are there any issues with them?

captain planet
02-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Those racks are from the late 1990's/early 2000's. They only made those racks for a couple years IIRC. Definately not original to that tower. I think the weakness with those is they are easily snapped off if caught on a garage door or dock.

willyt
02-08-2011, 04:33 PM
i've seen these on an 03 X10. Pain in the @ss... and i think they only made them in 2003...? (not sure on that though). I think one of my buddies got so peeved at a pair he took them off the tower and threw them into the lake. If you have the $$ i think it would be a worthy upgrade

brucemac
02-08-2011, 05:01 PM
wow first picture i've seen of those on an x-star, that must have either been a really early, or really late 2003 as those racks as far as i know were only manufactured in 2003. i've seen 2003 stars with different racks, but most of the rest of the 2003 X line-up had that design. the racks themselves work great imo, but they have some pretty big negatives:

if the ratchet mechanism breaks inside the fingers, you can end up shooting one into the lake and they obviously don't float.

doesn't take much to ruin a finger, wakeboard roap, dock, another boat, etc.

they are just about impossible to replace due to the limited run. MCBD can repair them i believe, but imagine it's spendy

replacing with different racks will take some serious modification.

brucemac
02-08-2011, 05:05 PM
oh, and i would take care to lubricate the springs and educate your crew on their shortcomings. how about some pics of the new ride?

sand2snow22
02-08-2011, 05:13 PM
. MCBD can repair them i believe, but imagine it's spendy

Good to know, let us know if you ever hear a price.

stewvette
02-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the input on the racks. The boat is an 2003 they must have come on it.They look like they would work good in theory but the ratchet lock seems like it might break easily.Must be a reason I have not seen them before. People must be changing them out to something else. Any thoughts on what type of rack would work with my tower?

brucemac
02-08-2011, 05:39 PM
i'd contact mastercraft by design, your local dealer, or possibly new dimension towers.

it could be different with the x-star plate, but i'm going to guess that you're going to have a difficult time finding anything that will simply bolt on due to the hole patterns on those existing fingers. i've looked for my tower (i have the same racks) and there is nothing out there that i can find that will work out of the box without a lot of modification; including 04 or 02 bungee racks.

stewvette
02-08-2011, 06:04 PM
Here is a pic of the new ride. I've been without a MC for 4 months its been driving me crazy. This is my third MC. It was 80 degrees out last weekend so I took it out for the afternoon. Can't wait for summer.

willyt
02-08-2011, 06:13 PM
hold on,
those the 07+ graphics too? never those on anything older than an 07... love those IMO

You got quite the mix and match boat, i'd deal with those board racks for that boat for sure

flipper
02-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Where are you at on the west coast

stewvette
02-08-2011, 07:14 PM
California, Bay Area

CLTMC
02-08-2011, 09:01 PM
I actually like the ratcheting racks that you have on your boat. A few of my buddies have them on their 2003 X-Stars great racks easy to use and they really grip the boards well.

Short comings are they are easy to bend, pulling in the boat lift, wrapping the wakeboard rope around the rack fingers and bending the board rack internal guide rods.

Once you bend the internal rack guide rods the rack will not open and close properly. It is impossible to bend the rods straight again after bending. Replacement parts are available.

Teague80
04-11-2011, 01:57 PM
are interested in getting rid of them?

stewvette
04-11-2011, 03:53 PM
No I think I'm going to keep them for now. I cleaned the internals and greased every thing and they are working real good right now.

jdeml
08-03-2011, 11:43 AM
I have the same racks! Bent 2 in 3 monthes. Been a huge PITA!!! Kinda hurts a lil when my buddies with the 91 Supra give me hell cause they can hold 4 boards while I have 2. Will work on fixing them this weekend though. Dosent seem too difficult to bend a rod straight with a little heat right?

volunteerwatersports
08-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Those racks were only used for one year on mastercrafts in 2003.

kskonn
08-03-2011, 04:29 PM
I had those my racks on my 03 X30- modified the tower and put on the new style racks because they all broke. also went to new decals

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e86/kskonnord/189443_905313347927_29605702_46749665_2785006_n.jp g

NoSubstitute
08-03-2011, 08:30 PM
I had those my racks on my 03 X30- modified the tower and put on the new style racks because they all broke. also went to new decals

How did you modify the tower to get the new style to connect? Can you take them off easily so they don't catch anything?

kskonn
08-04-2011, 10:59 AM
How did you modify the tower to get the new style to connect? Can you take them off easily so they don't catch anything?

I machined out the necessary spots on the plate so they would fit. The two guide holes line up already, but you have to cut the rectangle opening for the handle and drill a hole for the mounting bolt. I cannot get them on or off easily so they won't catch, however they do not stil out any further than the old ones so I wasn't giving anything up by using these.

jdeml
08-04-2011, 12:06 PM
No I think I'm going to keep them for now. I cleaned the internals and greased every thing and they are working real good right now.

Yeah let me know also if you ever want to part with them. Id be interested to having some on hand for quick change out. Thanks

NoSubstitute
08-05-2011, 12:00 AM
I machined out the necessary spots on the plate so they would fit. The two guide holes line up already, but you have to cut the rectangle opening for the handle and drill a hole for the mounting bolt. I cannot get them on or off easily so they won't catch, however they do not stil out any further than the old ones so I wasn't giving anything up by using these.
Did you machine them out while on the tower? Details and some close up pics of the finished product would be much appreciated!!! I only have 3 arms that work and I need to either purchase a fourth or figure out a new mounting option.

haroldbrogers
08-05-2011, 07:27 AM
If your not a die hard factory only parts, I suggest removing them and adding a set of swing in racks to the tower. I have an 03 x10 and hated those racks. Have to climb on the seats to get at them, and just a pain in the !@# in general. I went with pyramid swing in's from onlyinboard.com Ian is great, and the racks are soo much easier to use. Much quicker and easier to change out boards. I plan to machine a block of aluminum this winter that will line up with the holes in the x plate on the rack, and then attach the pyramid racks to the factory location, instead of off a tube.

x10vancouver2003
08-05-2011, 02:48 PM
If your not a die hard factory only parts, I suggest removing them and adding a set of swing in racks to the tower. I have an 03 x10 and hated those racks. Have to climb on the seats to get at them, and just a pain in the !@# in general. I went with pyramid swing in's from onlyinboard.com Ian is great, and the racks are soo much easier to use. Much quicker and easier to change out boards. I plan to machine a block of aluminum this winter that will line up with the holes in the x plate on the rack, and then attach the pyramid racks to the factory location, instead of off a tube.

I also have an '03 X10...and agree with most that have replied to your thread. Definitely get rid of the OEM finger racks, and replace them with something that will last a long time to come.

I had so many problems with those fingers. They break easy, are VERY hard to replace, and replacement parts are also very scarce. It's no wonder why MC only used these racks for 1 year, they just don't work well.

Save the headaches down the road, and replace them sooner rather than later with something that will swivel into the boat, and will make it much easier to move your wakeboards around. Plus you may need a rack to hold a surfboard and/or waterskis... :)

Gabe63
08-05-2011, 11:43 PM
They remind me of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pivoting-Wakeboard-Rack-Comptech-Marine-/320359829003?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4a96ef0e0b