PDA

View Full Version : Tower Shake

Fell in
02-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Just found this video of what happens to the boat when you shake The new tower, Wondering what Master Craft is doing to address this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lB3Yjf8NPs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lB3Yjf8NPs)&
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h41Fd21Ciyk

Kingsley X-1
02-08-2011, 12:43 PM
good lord that seems a bit excessive...

scott023
02-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Already been dicussed.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=39228&page=8

Pretty aggressive first post...

captain planet
02-08-2011, 01:03 PM
It has finally occurred to me how that is happening. The boat is sitting on a 3 point blocking system on the floor at a boat show. The stern of the boat is sitting on 2 blocks and the front of the boat is sitting on one block in the middle because the entire hull is moving when the guy is shaking it, not just the deck. The motor cover/sunpad is mounted to the stern along the back of the boat. The back of the boat along the stern is stationary and while the front of the boat is moving the sundeck is not. Not only that, on the X-45 the motor cover is unlatched. You would be able to do that with just about any boat if it were sitting that way on 3 blocks.

Fell in
02-08-2011, 01:35 PM
I can absolutely guarantee you that is not the case, when boat is blocked at a show they do what’s called a "shake test" to make sure the boat is solid and placed properly on the block's and that it is safe for your kids to climb in and out of. If the boat is shaking like that because of the way it was placed on the blocks then whoever blocked that boat should be fired

scott023
02-08-2011, 01:44 PM
I can absolutely guarantee you that is not the case, when boat is blocked at a show they do what’s called a "shake test" to make sure the boat is solid and placed properly on the block's and that it is safe for your kids to climb in and out of. If the boat is shaking like that because of the way it was placed on the blocks then whoever blocked that boat should be fired

Seems there are holes in your guarantee... the variables.

ksdaoski
02-08-2011, 01:57 PM

well at least you confirmed you're just here to stir the pot....

Archimedes
02-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Just found this video of what happens to the boat when you shake The new tower, Wondering what Master Craft is doing to address this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lB3Yjf8NPs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lB3Yjf8NPs)&
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h41Fd21Ciyk

Hilarious. Links to a YouTube video posted by a Nautique dealer. If you watch the video you can see that the entire front of the hull is moving you moron.

flipper
02-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Change his name from "fell in" to "fell off"?

scott023
02-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Hilarious. Links to a YouTube video posted by a Nautique dealer. If you watch the video you can see that the entire front of the hull is moving you moron.

This guy gives Canadians a bad rep...

scott023
02-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Change his level from 'TT newbie" to 'Banned'.

Table Rocker
02-08-2011, 02:17 PM
If you have the best product you don't have to point out the perceived flaws of the competitor. You don't see Mercedes comparing themselves to other cars, but you see others comparing themselves to Mercedes.

If I ever own a MasterCraft with a tower, I will remember not to pull a wakeboarder while the boat is on the trailer. If the boat is in the water, it will be able to roll in the water with the force instead of flexing against it.

flipper
02-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Yeah, and you guys don't need any more help with that.:D

captain planet
02-08-2011, 02:29 PM
If I can quote myself from the other thread concerning this BS, "I scoff at the implication of inferior construction from such a crowd." Enjoy your tracking fins attached with screws instead of bolts, lumpy floors, lag screwed motor mounts, chinsy windshields, and ugly ugly boats. Will you be bringing back the backward "N" gel schematic from the late 90's anytime soon? :rolleyes:

Sodar
02-08-2011, 02:31 PM
After reviewing the members name and personal info- He is a legit MC owner who has a concern about the products MC is bringing to market.

Mod1

Sodar
02-08-2011, 02:32 PM
MBD, your post above does not represent you or your company in a very good light. I think it would be much classier to keep quiet or prove that the issue does not exist. You have done neither in your recent posts on the subject.

Fell in
02-08-2011, 02:35 PM
At no point my post did i make any references to the quality or construction of the mastercraft product, i saw a video online and questioned mastercraft what they were doing to address this issue

flipper
02-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Yeah, so make another user name will ya? :D

east tx skier
02-08-2011, 02:38 PM
2 posts? Anti-MasterCraft posts? I smell Nautique...

There are plenty of us Nautique owners on this site that are here for better reasons that that. Have another sniff.

KnoxX2
02-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Sorry I still say all this is BS.

TX.X-30 fan
02-08-2011, 02:45 PM
I say I see what I see and its not very reassuring. I can guarantee most any lake can create a he!! of a lot more force than one mans arm on the tower and structure.

captain planet
02-08-2011, 02:45 PM
There are plenty of us Nautique owners on this site that are here for better reasons that that. Have another sniff.

Sorry Eastie, no offense.....just got my back against the wall today for some reason....

MasterCraftByDesign
02-08-2011, 02:47 PM

I know there are loads of Nautique people on here. My comment was meant as a joke. Mainly because there was an entire thread already dedicated to this subject. I have already requested that my post be removed so that nobody else gets worked up.

TX.X-30 fan
Sorry Eastie, no offense.....just got my back against the wall today for some reason....

Gey pride day in Canton?????:D

sand2snow22
Only way to tell is to go shake it yourself and/or take her for a test drive.

brucemac
02-08-2011, 02:48 PM

:uglyhamme:

east tx skier
02-08-2011, 02:49 PM
I know there are loads of Nautique people on here. My comment was meant as a joke. Mainly because there was an entire thread already dedicated to this subject. I have already requested that my post be removed so that nobody else gets worked up.

I wasn't exactly worked up. :confused:

After reviewing the members name and personal info- He is a legit MC owner who has a concern about the products MC is bringing to market.

Mod1

And it looks like I was right. :)

Nothing personal.

KnoxX2
02-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Only way to tell is to go shake it yourself and/or take her for a test drive.

Well put.........................:)

east tx skier
02-08-2011, 02:51 PM

Don't worry, you didn't hurt my feelings. My motor isn't held in with lag screws, my windshield looks to be the same kind that was on my MC, but seems sturdier, if my floor is lumpy, you wouldn't know for the carpet that covers it. As far as how the tracking fins are connected, if you hit something substantial enough, I think that through bolt is coming out along with the tracking fin, but with less damage to the hull. As for the looks, I've got a white boat with a nice red center stripe and not a lot of crazy graphics on it. Suits me fine. As for the big N graphics, we agree. Not a great look. As for what sort of vinyl lettering they put on the boats in the future, I don't know of any changes, but imagine they could put "World Record Ski Boat" on the transom. It would be accurate. I would personally prefer if they just put "Correct Craft" on there. Keep it simple would be my motto.

TX.X-30 fan
02-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Cam can we order "No Skake" signs??

captain planet
02-08-2011, 02:52 PM

Naw, just sick of the d@mn cold weather already. :( It's making me grumpy.:mad:

TX.X-30 fan
02-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Don't worry, you didn't hurt my feelings. I didn't have the attention span after lunch to get all the way through your post. :)

Admit it you were hip-deep into Dick Cheney's book.........:D

east tx skier
02-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Cam can we order "No S[h]ake" signs??

Now that is funny. Did you see the "No Step" sign on his closed cooling system? How awesome is that! Must work. Look how clean that engine is. No footprints or anything!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_m3bPnaMHpYM/Rgab2P27AfI/AAAAAAAAAXI/WYkyiUC4ebY/s800/DSC01043.JPG

captain planet
02-08-2011, 02:58 PM

Wow I'm dense today.....I just got that. Funny. :D

flipper
02-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

TRBenj
02-08-2011, 03:01 PM
If I can quote myself from the other thread concerning this BS, "I scoff at the implication of inferior construction from such a crowd." Enjoy your tracking fins attached with screws instead of bolts, lumpy floors, lag screwed motor mounts, chinsy windshields, and ugly ugly boats. Will you be bringing back the backward "N" gel schematic from the late 90's anytime soon? :rolleyes:
Your ignorance is showing... Unless youre taking about boats built prior to 1989, that lag comment is just incorrect. Not that theres anything wrong with lagging mounts into wood stringers. Ive got boats older than any MC still holding together just fine with their motors secured with this method.

Ever seen a hole left behind by a tracking fin that was ripped off? I promise that if the fin was screwed on, its easier to repair the hull- and the smaller holes are less likely to sink the boat in the meantime. Through bolts are stronger, but that doesnt mean theyre better. Screws are plenty strong to hold those fins in place.

Im pretty sure Ive read about more windshield issues pertaining to MC's than I have N boats. Not sure what that comment is in reference to.

I cant argue with the lumpy floors, having recarpeted many CC's... but once the carpet is laid you cant tell so Im not sure what the point is. I also cant argue about the '00-01 swoosh graphics... thank goodness that only lasted for 2 years. I take some marginal graphics over a winged rudder, extra tracking fin and glue in blocks to fix handling/wake issues though.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but you wont catch me buying any pickleforks!

Considering the first MC was born from a modified Ski Nautique, you seem strangely bitter. Chip on your shoulder?8p

flipper
02-08-2011, 03:04 PM
Your ignorance is showing... Unless youre taking about boats built prior to 1989, that lag comment is just incorrect. Not that theres anything wrong with lagging mounts into wood stringers. Ive got boats older than any MC still holding together just fine with their motors secured with this method.

Ever seen a hole left behind by a tracking fin that was ripped off? I promise that if the fin was screwed on, its easier to repair the hull- and the smaller holes are less likely to sink the boat in the meantime. Through bolts are stronger, but that doesnt mean theyre better. Screws are plenty strong to hold those fins in place.

Im pretty sure Ive read about more windshield issues pertaining to MC's than I have N boats. Not sure what that comment is in reference to.

I cant argue with the lumpy floors, having recarpeted many CC's... but once the carpet is laid you cant tell so Im not sure what the point is. I also cant argue about the '00-01 swoosh graphics... thank goodness that only lasted for 2 years. I take some marginal graphics over a winged rudder, extra tracking fin and glue in blocks to fix handling/wake issues though.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but you wont catch me buying any pickleforks!

Considering the first MC was born from a modified Ski Nautique, you seem strangely bitter. Chip on your shoulder?8p

Don't mind him, he's cold and being locked up in the house all the time all his blood has gone from his brain to his.....well lets just say he's not himself today.

sand2snow22
02-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Don't mind him, he's cold and being locked up in the house all the time all his blood has gone from his brain to his.....well lets just say he's not himself today.

Obviously been drinking too much koolaid this winter.

captain planet
02-08-2011, 03:12 PM

Yea, a little grumpy....a high of 15 degrees tomorrow, below 0 lows, and the explanation for this has yet to surface which has me twisted up........I just need to go and lie down for a little while.

scott023
02-08-2011, 03:13 PM

Bite me. :D

H20skeefreek
02-08-2011, 03:29 PM
Obviously been drinking too much koolaid this winter.
I agree. Too much Kool-aid drinking going on here. In the previous thread the manufacturer of the tower acknowledged that there was previously an issue do to the lack of additional supports for the new (extremely heavy, hideous monstrosity, sorry my opinion that is reinforced by the original existence of this video) tower. People are on here making excuses for why this video isn't real! It's a low quality cell phone video! I don't think they CGI'd it. Latches open....blocks.....blah blah blah. Here are the facts: the dude is shaking the tower with one hand! It's a MasterCraft! The boat is twisting like a pretzel! There is no dishonesty here, there is no tomfoolery! Extra supports or not, you wouldn't catch me dead buying a boat with that tower on it. The need for the extra reinforcements tells me it's too big and heavy.

Red Dragons
02-08-2011, 03:52 PM
I was at the Calgary boat show on the weekend and gave the Power Tower and good shake and the only thing that seemed to move was the boat on the trailer. Looked as sturdy as the tower on mine! Only thing was it didn't look like it would go as low as the old tower

Jeff Lyman
02-08-2011, 04:33 PM
With all this tower discussion and concern has MC ever come on this site and cleared the air about boat issues? If MC was my company I would be addressing the issue imediatly.

Even with 3 supports holding a boat on the floors twisting of any hull is NOT GOOD. Iwould guess water supports less than solid ones. But can the old saying hold true here, "believe half of what you see and hear".

Got another 8 inches this afternoon and still coming total this year 135 !

I want to shout out to my skiing buddy Steve for coming over to help support my boat cover under this crazy snow fall. Im still stuck on the couch doing nothing, Both knees healing well. Met with a sports trainer yesterday at the gym. He impressed me how much info he got for slalom ski training, felt great!

MIskier
02-09-2011, 03:30 PM
As I have stated before I know what went into the designs, and how the whole assembly goes together. The towers were tested in ways that overload it compared to what any user will load it, and it survived those tests intact. The towers are sturdy, and well designed/built.

scott023
02-09-2011, 03:31 PM
As I have stated before I know what went into the designs, and how the whole assembly goes together. The towers were tested in ways that overload it compared to what any user will load it, and it survived those tests intact. The towers are sturdy, and well designed/built.

WHAT AFFILIATION DO YOU HAVE WITH MASTERCRAFT????

flipper
02-09-2011, 03:49 PM
I was wondering the same thing being he's in the gulf coast

scott023
02-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Come on. He has 21 posts and all of them are "know it all" type posts. Nothing to back up his statements and he won't divulge what ties he has with MasterCraft?

MIskier
I want to point out to everyone that there was extensive testing done on the tower and it is very structurally sound. Im not blowing smoke I've seen the testing happen, as well as how it all went together.

MIskier
Just an FYI on the shipping cover they now use a ratchet type cover and then shrink tape the seam.

MIskier
Originally Posted by Or
I've noticed that the plug and play option is not available for the x14 x55 and x80

anyone knows when and if this option will be available for this models?

Thanks

Or.

As of right now there is no time table for those models as far as I know. Sorry

MIskier
Trust me that is not how the towers normally act...the stiffners that should be in the hull are not there. Plenty of testing was done to insure that the towers were stable before it was released to the public.

As for the weight the tower isnt significantly heavier than the ZFT3 tower, it looks like it should be insanely heavy but it isnt.

MIskier
Im sorry to hear about your trouble! This is the first I have heard of one of these tanks splitting. Was this caused by water left in the tank freezing, or did it occur while the boat was in use?

MIskier
I have spent a considerable amount of time on the water with both the 5.7 and 6.0 and can say that they are much better than the old indmars.

They run smoother, have better throttle response, and because of the new mufflers seem quieter than the Indmar running the same mufflers.

These new engines are great for MasterCraft and for all of us!

helton333
02-09-2011, 03:58 PM
Best thread ever! Where's the post that always shows the little icons eating popcorn. That would be fitting for this.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-09-2011, 04:02 PM
QUOTE=helton333;731595]Best thread ever! Where's the post that always shows the little icons eating popcorn. That would be fitting for this.[/QUOTE]

:popcorn:.......:popcorn:........:popcorn:........ .....................

flipper
02-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Is he the guy that invented the wheel?

MIskier
02-09-2011, 04:21 PM
Engineering

flipper
02-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Engineering

So you did invent the wheel?

Location Gulf Coast
Gender Male
Team MasterCraft Member Yes
Boat Owned 2006 PS 190 w/ mini tower
Occupation Naval Architecture Student

MIskier
02-09-2011, 04:28 PM
lol something like that.

I dont like seeing MC's new products ripped on, when I know what has gone into the design, and that the products are of a quality befitting MC's reputation.

TX.X-30 fan
02-09-2011, 04:29 PM
[QUOTE=flipper;731605]So you did invent the wheel?

]/QUOTE]

I thought that was algore

thatsmrmastercraft
02-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Is he the guy that invented the wheel?

No, but he knows the guy who invented the wheel and it was tested thoroughly. :rolleyes:

ShawnB
02-09-2011, 04:38 PM
lol something like that.

I dont like seeing MC's new products ripped on, when I know what has gone into the design, and that the products are of a quality befitting MC's reputation.

I think most of the people here fit that description. The difference is that most of us don't have inside information so we're forced to speculate to defend that reputation. Since you claim to have the info, please share with the rest of the class.

ddanenberger
02-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Our new X-25 comes in tomorrow. If I can get over to the dealer, and he gets it set up, I will take a video for all of you. If not I will take one at the boat show this weekend in St. Louis.

You all are making me loose sleep, I spent too much for structural problems (if they even exist).

At the Chicago show I did not see the movement everyone is commenting on, but it is easy to put it to bed. They had a Parks X-star, X-25, and a X-45 I did not see the flex shown in the video, the trailers and all moved.

MIskier
02-09-2011, 04:47 PM

No offense but since it is still a relatively new product I'm not really going to say more than what I wrote above.

The towers are reinforced along the gunnel's with large machined backing plates to reduce the amount of flex that can occur in the deck.

Im still at a loss to say what was going on in those videos, but the towers are very sturdy. The pros have put time on boats with the tower and had zero complaints.

captain planet
02-09-2011, 05:08 PM
I think most of the people here fit that description. The difference is that most of us don't have inside information so we're forced to speculate to defend that reputation. Since you claim to have the info, please share with the rest of the class.

But some of do have that information.;)

coz
02-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Engineering

Not a structural engineer right? :confused:

Feedback is what makes things that are wrong right dude. We're all MC lovers here but when we see the competition not having these issues or comming out with the over the top design we're gonna say something. Some like it and some don't....pretty simple.....can't please all the people all the time and just because you know what went into the design doesn't mean we're gonna like it. Back to the drawing board :D

bcampbe7
02-09-2011, 05:10 PM
No offense but since it is still a relatively new product I'm not really going to say more than what I wrote above.

The towers are reinforced along the gunnel's with large machined backing plates to reduce the amount of flex that can occur in the deck.

Im still at a loss to say what was going on in those videos, but the towers are very sturdy. The pros have put time on boats with the tower and had zero complaints.

The towers may be the sturdiest thing since Stu found Viagra. Shaking that tower like that should not cause that much flex between the seats and such. Next thing you know, MC will be coming out with a retrofit brace that spans the interior of the boat.

sand2snow22
02-09-2011, 05:10 PM
The pros have put time on boats with the tower and had zero complaints.

Might not be the best point of view. Pros get free boats and money from MC, whereas we are paying customers.....Just sayin'

MIskier
02-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Might not be the best point of view. Pros get free boats and money from MC, whereas we are paying customers.....Just sayin'

Yes but they do tend to want a product that works...since they are the ones that have to make a living behind the boat.

sand2snow22
02-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Our new X-25 comes in tomorrow. If I can get over to the dealer, and he gets it set up, I will take a video for all of you. If not I will take one at the boat show this weekend in St. Louis.

You all are making me loose sleep, I spent too much for structural problems (if they even exist).

At the Chicago show I did not see the movement everyone is commenting on, but it is easy to put it to bed. They had a Parks X-star, X-25, and a X-45 I did not see the flex shown in the video, the trailers and all moved.

The experience I have had shaking them on a trailer or on a dolly at the boat show is very different. On a dolly, everything moves, tower, boat, dolly, etc. Test drive IMO is going to be your best bet....

MIskier
02-09-2011, 05:18 PM
Not a structural engineer right? :confused:

Feedback is what makes things that are wrong right dude. We're all MC lovers here but when we see the competition not having these issues or comming out with the over the top design we're gonna say something. Some like it and some don't....pretty simple.....can't please all the people all the time and just because you know what went into the design doesn't mean we're gonna like it. Back to the drawing board :D

I'm not saying that everyone needs to like it, my concern lies with people thinking that it isn't properly designed.

Heck I'm a purist and the only place I want my motor is in the middle of the boat, so I do understand that many people will not like the tower, just like the pickle fork designs.

At the end of the day though it is a quality product and ill leave selling the product to the marketing guys:D

sand2snow22
02-09-2011, 05:20 PM
lol something like that.

Ummm, last new tower had it's shaking issues before the braces came out. I'm sure a lot went into that design, but the MC quality wasn't there. This isn't new, history may or may not have repeated itself. We'll see....

ddanenberger
02-09-2011, 05:25 PM
I agree, were drove a X25 in December at the plant, and seemed fine. Talked with several Pro's at the Chicago show and they said everything was great...so we pulled the trigger. The design is great for people like us that has a couple bridges to go under each time out. The other towers are such a pain to lower. This option sold Mastercraft over the CC.

I can't say I tried to break the boat in half, but did shake it while in the boat I did not experience this movement. If I new of the video's I would have done things different, but from what I experieced, there was not any reason to go further.

There has to be someone with a '11 that is in use.

Unfortunately, too cold here and frozen lakes.

I struggle getting my arms around this, since the press release for this year's Wakeboard tour is going to use the power tower on a x-star. If this condition is a concern...failure at a event is not good marketing.

CantRepeat
02-09-2011, 05:29 PM
Who is MIskier?

You seem to have a lot of inside connections to the "pros", the design process, and the MC engineers and you have yet to qualify yourself.

Why are you concerned if people don't think the new tower isn't designed properly? What concern is that of yours? Is that not for MC?

Who are you?

coz
02-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Who is MIskier?

Who are you?

Harold!......is that you? :D

thatsmrmastercraft
02-09-2011, 05:36 PM
Harold!......is that you? :D

My thoughts exactly.:D:D:D

Sodar
02-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Relax guys, he is just a kid from the University of New Orleans.

You guys get so worked up about this stuff!

Unless you are buying a new MC, who gives a crap!?!?!?

MIskier
02-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Who is MIskier?

You seem to have a lot of inside connections to the "pros", the design process, and the MC engineers and you have yet to qualify yourself.

Why are you concerned if people don't think the new tower isn't designed properly? What concern is that of yours? Is that not for MC?

Who are you?

A naval architecture student who has worked for MC

TX.X-30 fan
02-09-2011, 05:53 PM
The towers may be the sturdiest thing since Stu found Viagra. Shaking that tower like that should not cause that much flex between the seats and such. Next thing you know, MC will be coming out with a retrofit brace that spans the interior of the boat.

Hey my "deck" does not shake that bad with just 1 hand on it...............:D

coz
02-09-2011, 05:53 PM

That explains alot.....KID :D I'll bet if he were at USC, UCLA or ASU that thing would be stiff as stu 8p

TX.X-30 fan
02-09-2011, 05:57 PM

Its oblivious the tower is way too heavy to be attached to fiberglass, and so was the one on my 04 boat, 4 speakers and lights and you have to be a magician every-time you see a rouge wave or roller, its nuts 6 years later the towers are still bolted to the gunnel's.

ddanenberger
02-09-2011, 06:01 PM
Its oblivious the tower is way too heavy to be attached to fiberglass, and so was the one on my 04 boat, 4 speakers and lights and you have to be a magician every-time you see a rouge wave or roller, its nuts 6 years later the towers are still bolted to the gunnel's.

Do you have gel coat cracking from the flex?

CantRepeat
02-09-2011, 06:10 PM

You guys get so worked up about this stuff!

Unless you are buying a new MC, who gives a crap!?!?!?

No one is worked up, really.

Well, Cam, when people make statements without qualifing who they are or how they have "knowledge" of something no one here is just gonna take their word for it.

And, you don't have to be buying a new MC to give a crap about current production issues, do you?

CantRepeat
02-09-2011, 06:11 PM

For what, a summer? 8p

CantRepeat
02-09-2011, 06:12 PM
That explains alot.....KID :D I'll bet if he were at USC, UCLA or ASU that thing would be stiff as stu 8p

Proabably, but he'd not know what he Rose Bowl was! ;)

MIskier
02-09-2011, 06:20 PM
For what, a summer? 8p

Actually anytime I'm not in school I'm there.

Shooter McKevin
02-09-2011, 06:38 PM
I guess I'm just confused why a guy would think he needs to be so aloof about his credentials.

coz
02-09-2011, 07:36 PM
guess I'm just confused why a guy would think he needs to be so aloof about his credentials

The first part of the thread he was an engineer and in the latter part he's a Naval Architecture student....I'm confused too :D One thing I do know as a contractor that builds structures.....it may look good on paper (plans) but sometimes things don't work as planned and need changes. Just giving ya a hard time MIskier :banana:

willyt
02-09-2011, 08:02 PM
i still say shake it yourselves. good solution to all the bantering

MIskier
02-09-2011, 08:28 PM
The first part of the thread he was an engineer and in the latter part he's a Naval Architecture student....I'm confused too :D One thing I do know as a contractor that builds structures.....it may look good on paper (plans) but sometimes things don't work as planned and need changes. Just giving ya a hard time MIskier :banana:

Naval Architecture is a form of engineering, its a BSE degree rather than the BA that one gets with an Architecture degree.

coz
02-09-2011, 09:33 PM
Naval Architecture is a form of engineering, its a BSE degree rather than the BA that one gets with an Architecture degree.

Sounds like an interesting career choice, best of luck to ya.

aaron.
02-10-2011, 08:48 AM

+1 :huh::rolleyes:

flipper
02-10-2011, 09:17 AM

Does that "don't shake it more than twice or you're playing with it" rule that dad always talked about apply here?

TX.X-30 fan
02-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Does that "don't shake it more than twice or you're playing with it" rule that dad always talked about apply here?

Depends on how old you are, some of us need a few more shakes now...........:mad:

helton333
02-10-2011, 09:55 AM
My bet, is people will dislike this so much, the MC will only retain 45% more value after 10 years than a Nautique, as compared with the 47% we were at before the tower. The end is near.

willyt
02-10-2011, 10:16 AM
My bet, is people will dislike this so much, the MC will only retain 45% more value after 10 years than a Nautique, as compared with the 47% we were at before the tower. The end is near.

Common lets not pretend fellas. World's ending on December 21st, 2012 anyway so who's worried about resale value anyway?

H20skeefreek
02-10-2011, 10:18 AM
98.7538% of all statistics are made up on the spot. To think that a MC holds it's value 47% more than a Nautique, well that's insane.

east tx skier
02-10-2011, 10:39 AM
98.7538% of all statistics are made up on the spot. To think that a MC holds it's value 47% more than a Nautique, well that's insane.

How long before that is the wording of the transom decal?

Granite_33
02-10-2011, 10:43 AM
I'm going to the boat show in a few weeks and will give it a shake for myself. :D

But, as many boats that are made with Towers these days one would really have to question the setup and circumstances under which these videos were made.

We have all seen $150K boats all the way down to your basic Bayliner with towers on them.......all move to some degree.

But, someones going to show me a video under god knows what circumstances from a dealer that sells Nautiques and I'm supposed to do what? Run out and buy a Nautique?

Seeing whats on those videos tells me that:
A. The tower weighs close to a ton :rolleyes:
B. The one ton tower is flimsy as all hell. :rolleyes:
C. The fiberglass thickness has thinned to the thickness of a few pieces of paper. :rolleyes:
I don't believe A,B, or C.

The more I watch it, the more skeptical I become......even the movement of the boat as a whole simply does not look natural from that camera angle.

Oh and by the way, the minute MC makes one of those forward swept towers like Bu, or CC is the minute I swear off towers altogether......MC towers are the most attractive on the market.

east tx skier
02-10-2011, 11:08 AM
I'm going to the boat show in a few weeks and will give it a shake for myself. :D

But, as many boats that are made with Towers these days one would really have to question the setup and circumstances under which these videos were made.

We have all seen $150K boats all the way down to your basic Bayliner with towers on them.......all move to some degree.

But, someones going to show me a video under god knows what circumstances from a dealer that sells Nautiques and I'm supposed to do what? Run out and buy a Nautique?

Seeing whats on those videos tells me that:
A. The tower weighs close to a ton :rolleyes:
B. The one ton tower is flimsy as all hell. :rolleyes:
C. The fiberglass thickness has thinned to the thickness of a few pieces of paper. :rolleyes:
I don't believe A,B, or C.

The more I watch it, the more skeptical I become......even the movement of the boat as a whole simply does not look natural from that camera angle.

Oh and by the way, the minute MC makes one of those forward swept towers like Bu, or CC is the minute I swear off towers altogether......MC towers are the most attractive on the market.

I don't care for those towers either (not that I really like towers much to begin with).

CantRepeat
02-10-2011, 12:20 PM
How long before that is the wording of the transom decal?

I'm gonna call Jim later today and get a set made! :D

east tx skier
02-10-2011, 12:46 PM
I'm gonna call Jim later today and get a set made! :D

He might run into some copyright issues with me. ;)

flipper
02-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Don't mess with eastie, he was almost premed in high school

east tx skier
02-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Don't mess with eastie, he was almost premed in high school

Funny part is that "almost premed in high school" is an extremely accurate description. Continued into my first semester of college when I decided that I really hated my Biology class.

TX.X-30 fan
02-10-2011, 03:01 PM
You'd have made a fine proctologist, actually not that dissimilar from your chosen field.

flipper
02-10-2011, 03:02 PM
You'd have made a fine proctologist, actually not that dissimilar from your chosen field.
I take it he practiced on you and you like his skills?

east tx skier
02-10-2011, 03:32 PM

Not in the least bit different.

helton333
02-10-2011, 04:07 PM
I do love this thread. It's like a Reebok guy showing up at a Nike convention. You have to know what kind of people you're in the room with. Oh, I totally made up they 47% - you got me.

That tower has more engineering in it than anything ever visioned at another boat company, much less, put into production.

That is what I respect. Mad respect for innovation. Go find a Reebok convention and somebody who cares.

MCVOLS
02-10-2011, 04:43 PM
I went to my dealer today and saw an X25 with the new tower. Didn't have a camera or video camera, but I gave it a good shake (a very scientific 'shake' I might add). I didn't open all the hatches and latches, but it seemed quite solid to me, similar if not more solid than my '08 tower. I couldn't get very high on the tower for the test, as it was in a showroom on a dolly.

It had mounts for a bimini as well, but it was not on. I liked the new speaker cans alot, and the X25 itself was awsome. I think the new vinyl will be a hit.

CantRepeat
02-10-2011, 05:06 PM
That tower has more engineering in it than anything ever visioned at another boat company, much less, put into production.

The new tower is very innovative for sure. I would not put it past any other manufacture to try and find fault with it. Even if that meant 47% more effort.

Just so you all know, when I'm too tired to shake it myself I get the wife to do it for me. :D

FourFourty
02-10-2011, 05:27 PM
So..... Just to recap this thread-

1-Lots of peeps on this forum say the new tower is too heavy, too shakey, too ugly etc....
2-Some members think the videos are the smoking gun for this "Tower Fail" And that the ZFT5P is complete garbage.
3-EVERY person who has actually gone out, grabbed ahold of the tower, and shook the hell out of it, said it is very sturdy.
4-Most of the people who actually judge on real life experience, say the tower is more appealing in person as well.

So, basically, the haters have 0% experience to base a judgement on..... Jussayin.

Its one thing to say you dont like the looks of it, or you dont feel its worth it..... But to question the engineering, design, and functionality of something from one you-tube video and a couple of photos.....come on.

I am one of the people that doesnt really like it..... I dont feel its worth 6k more than the ZFT3, and I am not crazy about the looks of it. I, however, have seen, shook, and operated this tower in real life. Not from my keyboard. Its pretty amazing, and it is the future. Like it, or not.

CantRepeat
02-10-2011, 05:35 PM

So, basically, the haters have 0% experience to base a judgement on..... Jussayin.

I wouldn't say 0 is the correct number. I think we can get the naval kid in here to give better numbers. ;)

coz
02-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Its one thing to say you dont like the looks of it, or you dont feel its worth it..... But to question the engineering, design, and functionality of something from one you-tube video and a couple of photos.....come on.

I base my response on the non response I got from the manufacturer of this tower. I asked them if there was a manual overide in case something went wrong with the electrical/hydrolics.....I got no answer..zip, nada, nothing and am still wondering if it does :confused: So I'm not a keyboard critic 8p

east tx skier
02-10-2011, 05:56 PM
I do love this thread. It's like a Reebok guy showing up at a Nike convention. You have to know what kind of people you're in the room with. Oh, I totally made up they 47% - you got me.

That is what I respect. Mad respect for innovation. Go find a Reebok convention and somebody who cares.

Mad respect for your Reebok analogy. 8p I'm sure the tower is fine.

FourFourty
02-10-2011, 06:03 PM
I base my response on the non response I got from the manufacturer of this tower. I asked them if there was a manual overide in case something went wrong with the electrical/hydrolics.....I got no answer..zip, nada, nothing and am still wondering if it does :confused: So I'm not a keyboard critic 8p

Ah..... As far as I could tell, there is no manual override. There isn't any hydraulics.... The piston looking things on the side, are electric linear actuators.....I think. If the tower failed to lower, I suppose you could unhook those to get it down..... You would probably want two other guys to help, and they would want to have their $hit together.... :D

MIskier
02-10-2011, 06:36 PM
I wouldn't say 0 is the correct number. I think we can get the naval kid in here to give better numbers. ;)

My opinion is similar to most. If you havent touched it dont hate on the design in respect to the design and engineering. If you dont like the looks of it thats a different discussion.

coz
02-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Ah..... As far as I could tell, there is no manual override. There isn't any hydraulics.... The piston looking things on the side, are electric linear actuators.....I think. If the tower failed to lower, I suppose you could unhook those to get it down:D

This is what I'm talking about....everyone has an answer except the people that make the thing. :rolleyes:

CantRepeat
02-10-2011, 07:47 PM
The one thing I think would make a better look to the tower would be an aluminum sleeve that slides down over the hydraulic arm instead of the black rubber boot. If if was attached to the top point and then could just slide down over the rest of the arm.

vision
02-10-2011, 08:16 PM
The one thing I think would make a better look to the tower would be an aluminum sleeve that slides down over the hydraulic arm instead of the black rubber boot. If if was attached to the top point and then could just slide down over the rest of the arm.

Agreed. Mounting between the two sections instead on the outside would also decrease the prominence of the arm.

TX.X-30 fan
02-10-2011, 08:58 PM

1-Lots of peeps on this forum say the new tower is too heavy, too shakey, too ugly etc....
2-Some members think the videos are the smoking gun for this "Tower Fail" And that the ZFT5P is complete garbage.
3-EVERY person who has actually gone out, grabbed ahold of the tower, and shook the hell out of it, said it is very sturdy.
4-Most of the people who actually judge on real life experience, say the tower is more appealing in person as well.

I am one of the people that doesnt really like it..... I dont feel its worth 6k more than the ZFT3, and I am not crazy about the looks of it. I, however, have seen, shook, and operated this tower in real life. Not from my keyboard. Its pretty amazing, and it is the future. Like it, or not.

I think haters is strong language I must have missed the hate part, but that is what everyone wants to say these days when one disagrees with others opinions. Pretty easy to see that a majority of the "I shook the tower posts" are from those with a vested interest. I have not seen the tower in person but I refuse to say I didn't see what I saw and refuse to make lame excuses.

Why is it MC owners are not willing to admit that the towers sway to the point of being ridiculous and have since the beginning??

east tx skier
02-10-2011, 09:39 PM
I think haters is strong language I must have missed the hate part, but that is what everyone wants to say these days when one disagrees with others opinions. Pretty easy to see that a majority of the "I shook the tower posts" are from those with a vested interest. I have not seen the tower in person but I refuse to say I didn't see what I saw and refuse to make lame excuses.

Why is it MC owners are not willing to admit that the towers sway to the point of being ridiculous and have since the beginning??

Hataz gonna hate!?!

/this thread is a repeat from 2007. ;)

coz
02-10-2011, 09:50 PM

The problem with your question is like you said......no one's gonna admit that they do that :D

east tx skier
02-10-2011, 10:06 PM
The problem with your question is like you said......no one's gonna admit that they do that :D

Not until there's a fix under warranty. :)

thatsmrmastercraft
02-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Nothing like some good controversy to get us through this winter. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

mccobmd
02-10-2011, 10:38 PM

I would admit it but the 06 tower is pretty solid, just on "pretty" or "flashy".

bbymgr
02-10-2011, 10:42 PM
My neighbors best friends cousins wifes fathers step brother said that if you sand the towers with 2000 grit sand paper and apply 5 coats of teak oil, then they won't sway.:rolleyes:

Maristar210
02-10-2011, 11:58 PM
Coz,

Linear actuators are not like hydraulic cylinders, They can be unhooked easily and defeat the failure of the normal operation, maybe no one answered you because they were feeding their snakes.... or maybe you should look into it before, once again, you begin painting yourself in a light that .........

coz
02-11-2011, 07:53 AM
Coz,

Linear actuators are not like hydraulic cylinders, They can be unhooked easily and defeat the failure of the normal operation, maybe no one answered you because they were feeding their snakes.... or maybe you should look into it before, once again, you begin painting yourself in a light that .........

I am trying to look into to it you schmuck, I thought I was on your ignore list? Keep your troll posts to yourself because I don't give a fck what you have to ad, it's never anything possitive, only negative. You muust be a very lonely man if all you have to do is follow me around this site and post crap like that.

FourFourty
02-11-2011, 07:55 AM
Pretty easy to see that a majority of the "I shook the tower posts" are from those with a vested interest. I have not seen the tower in person but I refuse to say I didn't see what I saw and refuse to make lame excuses.

Its all true. We gather on the "Grassy Knoll" and discuss how to keep non MC owners in the dark about the Fail Towers.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/54/homer_facepalm.jpg

CantRepeat
02-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Its all true. We gather on the "Grassy Knoll" and discuss how to keep non MC owners in the dark about the Fail Towers.

Nope, we are all behind the fence in the back parking lot counting cigarette butts. Then we are going to send them off to MIskier for DNA checks against current MC engineers. We'll get to the bottom of this. :D

TX.X-30 fan
02-11-2011, 09:13 AM

Fuel Pump..............:D

FourFourty
02-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Fuel Pump..............:D

:uglyhamme

My point being that I am not lying about the tower simply because I am some MC fanboy..... In fact, I am not a brand loyal person at all.

I understand your point of view. But you are basically sayin that I, and several others, are MC loyalists, and that we are full of $hit, Simply because we want to defend the MC badge.

At least get some real world experience with this tower before takin a dump on the integrity of those that have.....

bobx1
02-11-2011, 10:38 AM
After following this post for what feels like months, I do have a 4 questions......but first a fact that has been brought up in this thread.

FACT - it appears that everyone that has seen the tower in person is calling BS on the tower sway video.

QUESTION #1 - Is that really a Mastercraft in the video?

QUESTION #2 - Is that really a video shot at a boat show?

QUESTION #3 - If the answers to my first two questions are YES, then what dealer would allow a boat to be put in their show with that kind of tower sway? That is like BWM putting their newest model in an autoshow with an obvious oil leak or a dead battery.

QUESTION #4 - If the FACT I stated is correct/accurate, then did the dealer have some type of prototype at the show or did they leave some tower bolts or support out of the installation in order to get the boat ready for the show?

east tx skier
02-11-2011, 10:47 AM
QUESTION #3 - If the answers to my first two questions are YES, then what dealer would allow a boat to be put in their show with that kind of tower sway? That is like BWM putting their newest model in an autoshow with an obvious oil leak or a dead battery.

My question was what dealer would let a couple of guys with a camera shake their boat like that?

Archimedes
02-11-2011, 11:06 AM
My question was what dealer would let a couple of guys with a camera shake their boat like that?

The kind that had to run to the bathroom for a few minutes... :D

MattsCraft
02-11-2011, 11:14 AM
Video's have been removed, hmmm:rolleyes:

Shooter McKevin
02-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Ah..... As far as I could tell, there is no manual override. There isn't any hydraulics.... The piston looking things on the side, are electric linear actuators.....I think. If the tower failed to lower, I suppose you could unhook those to get it down..... You would probably want two other guys to help, and they would want to have their $hit together.... :D

I'm with you, they seem like electric actuators. I asked the MC factory rep at the boat show and he said they were hydraulic. This made me want to start digging around to figure them out but I left it alone because my wife thinks I'm a dick when people talk out of their *** and I call them on it. I wish people didn't have so much trouble saying "I don't know but I can find out for you". I can't believe I forgot to ask about the manual override.

MIskier, do you know about the mechanism?

;)

ddanenberger
02-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Our new boat came in last night. the actuators are electric...they look like Lenco same as the tabs.

flipper
02-11-2011, 11:54 AM
Did anybody figure out why the towers shake so much? :D

I wonder how much longer this thread will last. People said stuff about Mastercraft in here. :eek:

CantRepeat
02-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Did anybody figure out why the towers shake so much? :D

I think it had something to do with the dude pulling on it! :D If he wouldn't have pulled so hard on it I'm sure it would not shake.

Jeff Lyman
02-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Not one to enjoy drama but this thread sure is interesting, keep it going someone has an answer!

FourFourty
02-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Not one to enjoy drama but this thread sure is interesting, keep it going someone has an answer!

Malibu boat co. built inferior MC replicas and staged the whole thing....Allegedly:D

CantRepeat
02-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Malibu boat co. built inferior MC replicas and staged the whole thing....Allegedly:D

I think you just won the internet! :D

MIskier
02-11-2011, 12:38 PM
I'm with you, they seem like electric actuators. I asked the MC factory rep at the boat show and he said they were hydraulic. This made me want to start digging around to figure them out but I left it alone because my wife thinks I'm a dick when people talk out of their *** and I call them on it. I wish people didn't have so much trouble saying "I don't know but I can find out for you". I can't believe I forgot to ask about the manual override.

MIskier, do you know about the mechanism?

;)

The actuators are electric, and there is no manual override at this time other than unbolting the actuator and lowering it by hand.

Sorry that I havent responded to several posts, been a busy week.

flipper
02-11-2011, 12:47 PM
I think it had something to do with the dude pulling on it! :D If he wouldn't have pulled so hard on it I'm sure it would not shake.

You are a thinker sir

coz
02-11-2011, 12:47 PM
The actuators are electric, and there is no manual override at this time other than unbolting the actuator and lowering it by hand.

Well there ya go....only 2 threads and a few hundred posts and finally someone with insight comes up with an answer.

MIskier
02-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Well there ya go....only 2 threads and a few hundred posts and finally someone with insight comes up with an answer.

I would just like to say that for a while I really didnt want to say what my affliation was because of the way that some of the people on this thread act...something for everyone to think about:D

Shooter McKevin
02-11-2011, 12:51 PM

Cool. Thank you.

CantRepeat
02-11-2011, 12:58 PM
You are a thinker sir

It's just a theory so take it at face value. :D

bobx1
02-11-2011, 01:54 PM

To ask the questions that no one else ponders....the mark of an outstanding and highly successful.

What discipline of law do you specialize – divorce court?:D

mastercraft210
02-13-2011, 05:09 AM
We recieved our second boat with the ztfp5 tower.It is a better tower but he is not there yet.
Our first tower had the old actuators on it with broke after 3 times using it.That tower had the new update actators on it and worked again.Not good but worked.
The second tower is indeed stiffer and would not bent as much like the first time.But still it is to much.The deck dont shake like the 'x25 on the video.

sand2snow22
02-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Any truth to this? That's what she said......

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=732341&postcount=15

scott023
02-16-2011, 09:30 AM
Funny part is that "almost premed in high school" is an extremely accurate description. Continued into my first semester of college when I decided that I really hated my Biology class.

There's the laugh of the day... :D:D:D

bcampbe7
02-16-2011, 01:33 PM
I missed that Scott! Good one Stu, and I guess Doug gets the assist even though the point was scored on himself.